Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/4/2012  (Read 42614 times)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/4/2012
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
Did Barker's Bargain Bar bother anyone else? 

Steve, if you are going to chastise people in other threads for not using proper grammar, spelling, and names, why aren't you calling this game by its correct (and current) name?

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 12:57:51 AM »
Steve, if you are going to chastise people in other threads for not using proper grammar, spelling, and names, why aren't you calling this game by its correct (and current) name?

I'd like to see the day Steve calls it Bargain Game :oldlol:
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »
I don't like the name "Bargain Game."  I'm pretty sure everyone's figured that out by now.  I acknowledge that they've changed the name, but I choose to continue using the old one outside of the FAQ and the calendars (which, hard as it is some days, I try to keep mostly unbiased) because I just like "Barker's Bargain Bar" better.

I view the whole Plinko deal the same way.  I don't have a problem with someone calling Plinko a "win" when the center slot is hit just for the sake of not saying it was lost on every single playing.  It's when people start to act like there's something official about that designation (there isn't) or start going on about perfect shows that it begins to get on my nerves.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 06:48:39 AM »
It's when people start to act like there's something official about that designation (there isn't)

Apparently, there is now. If they changed the definition of a Plinko win, we can argue the point all we want to, but the "official" definition is what the producers of the show say it is.

I can see their point about this. If someone wins $41,000 in Plinko, how likely is it that the person will consider himself to have "lost" the game?

Offline thedoctor8706

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 08:07:37 AM »
...whatever the case, it was fun being apart of that show! I posted on this forum the day before, scared silly about what time to arrive if I wanted to be admitted to the show. I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would actually be called down with my beautiful fiancé, much less win the showcase with her! Even if we did grossly underbid ;) We were terrified of going over, and thought we had a bit of wiggle room after seeing how low the other couple's bid was. Funny how much of the thinking process they cut out of the actual broadcast.  Whatever the case, instead of still worried like crazy over how to go on a honeymoon, my future wife and I will be headed to St. Lucia! :) Just grateful for all the helpful info I read on this forum! Thanks guys!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »
Apparently, there is now.

I'm reasonably certain there is still not.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
I'm reasonably certain there is still not.

So I guess I'm confused as to what's happened. I thought Drew was referring to it as a Plinko win/perfect show because the "official" definition has changed. You're saying the definitions are the same, and Drew was mistaken?

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2012, 02:50:10 PM »
Oh, come on. What Drew said on the spot, or what he might think, 99.99999999% does not correlate to any official definitions changing.

Now to be fair, I think they *are* trying to pass off some partial wins in cash as wins, such as 5k+ Punch.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
So I guess I'm confused as to what's happened. I thought Drew was referring to it as a Plinko win/perfect show because the "official" definition has changed. You're saying the definitions are the same, and Drew was mistaken?

We're talking about the guy who doesn't even know the proper rules to Switcheroo.

Offline hirogen73

• Outside in Line
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
Let’s see: 
- The sound effects going “ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!”
- The audience on their feet applauding and cheering. 
- The contestant screaming and squealing and jumping for joy.

Yup, feels like a loss to me. 

I only wish the host would clear up the confusion and say, “Oh, no!  You only got $12,000.   I’m sorry to say you’ve just lost Plinko.  Hopefully you’ll have better luck at the Big Wheel”.  (and then cue the losing horn sound effect)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:50:45 PM by hirogen73 »

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
I'm not expressing surprise that Drew might have made a mistake or explained something incorrectly. A contestant wins less than $50K in Plinko and the host calls the game a "win" and, as a result, calls the show a perfect show. One of two things has happened. Either:

1) The show has changed its definition of a win in Plinko, or
2) Drew made a mistake.

The previous discussion in the thread led me to believe that it was #1, that's all.

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2012, 05:07:04 PM »
You don't get to use the phrase "Get with the program" when you've just made an assertion this ridiculously stupid.

The point of that assertion was to be ridiculously stupid because, in fact, you're making yourself look ridiculously stupid.

Anyway, since this argument has lead to completely ignoring this post:

...whatever the case, it was fun being apart of that show! I posted on this forum the day before, scared silly about what time to arrive if I wanted to be admitted to the show. I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would actually be called down with my beautiful fiancé, much less win the showcase with her! Even if we did grossly underbid ;) We were terrified of going over, and thought we had a bit of wiggle room after seeing how low the other couple's bid was. Funny how much of the thinking process they cut out of the actual broadcast.  Whatever the case, instead of still worried like crazy over how to go on a honeymoon, my future wife and I will be headed to St. Lucia! :) Just grateful for all the helpful info I read on this forum! Thanks guys!

Congratulations! Great to have you around and we do hope you stay. Let us know how your trips go!
Season 8 (2011-12) CSS 3rd Place

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
^ Someone pointing out that Steve is making himself look ridiculously stupid makes that person look ridiculously stupid. Just sayin'.

Let’s see: 
- The sound effects going “ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!”
- The audience on their feet applauding and cheering. 
- The contestant screaming and squealing and jumping for joy.

Yup, feels like a loss to me. 

I only wish the host would clear up the confusion and say, “Oh, no!  You only got $12,000.   I’m sorry to say you’ve just lost Plinko.  Hopefully you’ll have better luck at the Big Wheel”.  (and then cue the losing horn sound effect)

Even if it's not a win, it's still not a loss, either. Plinko is only a loss when no money is won.

Glad to have you! It's always nice to get contestants on the show (mainly because we really don't get them anymore, sadly...)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
Ooh, I just thought of something else to further complicate the matter of what's a win and what's a loss.

Since the purists say that a game is lost if the full announced amount isn't won... what can we make of Shell Game now?  Since Shell Game has done away with the original $500 bonus and replaced it with the equal cash value of the prize, Drew has announced at the beginning of the game every time that "if you win all four chips and tell me where the ball is, you win $xx,xxx in cash".  So if a contestant wins the $10,000 prize but doesn't win the announced $10,000 cash, is it still a loss?

Just wanted to throw that out there because I feel like being a dick today...
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »
The Shell Game deal is a bonus in the event 4 shells are won. Previously, it was $1000.