Author Topic: G-R.net Logic Problem Challenge II  (Read 9519 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: G-R.net Logic Problem Challenge II
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
Two days left on the "Political Theater" puzzle.  So far, I've had five responses and five correct solutions.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
Re: G-R.net Logic Problem Challenge II -- Puzzle #3 Answer, Puzzle #4
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
That's it for the third puzzle.  Here was the solution:

There are seven nights, so the week will feature exactly seven senatorial performances and fourteen presidential performances (intro).  King is two nights (Clue 3) and Sherman is two nights (Clue 6), so Calhoun, Clay, and Webster are each one night (only combination to total seven).  Grant is two nights (Clue 5) and Jackson is two nights (Clues 5 and 8 ), so J. Adams, J.Q. Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Madison, Monroe, Polk, Taylor, Tyler, and Washington are each one night (only combination to total fourteen).  Sunday isn't King [Monday (Clues 1 and 3)], Webster (Clue 4), Sherman [no night before Sunday (intro, Clue 6)], or Clay (Clue 7); it's Calhoun.  Night with Jackson, Jefferson, and Sherman (Clue 8 ) isn't Sunday [no night before Sunday (above)], Saturday [no night after Saturday (intro)], Monday [King (above)], Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday [J. Adams and Washington are Wednesday (Clue 2)]; it's Friday, so Monroe is Saturday and Taylor is Thursday.  Night with Grant and Jackson (Clue 5) isn't Saturday [Jackson is Friday (above)]; it's Sunday.  Clay isn't Sunday (above), Monday [King (above)], Friday [Sherman (above)], Saturday [no night after Saturday (above)], Tuesday [J. Adams and Washington are Wednesday (above, Clue 7)], or Thursday [Jackson and Jefferson are Friday (above, Clue 7)]; he's Wednesday, so Madison is Thursday.  King's second night isn't Sunday, Tuesday [Monday (above)], Wednesday [Clay (above)], Friday [Sherman (above)], or Saturday (Clue 3); it's Thursday.  Sherman's second night isn't Thursday, Saturday [Friday (above)], Monday [King (above)], Wednesday [Clay (above)], or Sunday [no night before Sunday (above, Clue 6)]; it's Tuesday.  By elimination, Webster is Saturday.  Tyler [before Tuesday (above, Clue 6)] isn't Sunday [Grant and Jackson (above)]; he's Monday.  Polk is Monday and Lincoln is Tuesday [only nights possible (Clue 9)].  By elimination, J.Q. Adams is Tuesday.

Summary
Sunday, Ulysses Grant, Andrew Jackson, John Calhoun
Monday, James Polk, John Tyler, Rufus King
Tuesday, John Quincy Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Roger Sherman
Wednesday, John Adams, George Washington, Henry Clay
Thursday, James Madison, Zachary Taylor, Rufus King
Friday, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, Roger Sherman
Saturday, Ulysses Grant, James Monroe, Daniel Webster

Here were the five winners this week:

Doughnut
Flerbert419
JohnHolder
JokerFan (fastest player)
RCPlanes59

Doughnut, Flerbert, John, and RC do indeed keep their perfect records... but those perfect records may be in jeopardy.  Check this one out:

PUZZLE #4:  HARD LEVEL

I don't expect anybody to solve this one in under an hour.  Actually, I'll be surprised if anybody solves this one within 24 hours of reading it.

"Price Is Always Correct"

You've probably never heard of Price College, a small school in southern California, but the contestant coordinator of the hit game show The Price Is Correct has become intimately familiar with its alumni over the years.  Current and former students are always in the studio audience and, as luck would have it, a Price student has been picked as a contestant (and been the big winner of the day) in each of the past six seasons.  From the information provided, determine the year (2007-2012) in which each alumnus (identified by first and last name) appeared as a contestant, along with his or her major in college, prize won in the qualifying round, and game played on stage.

1. The six alumni are the person who was a contestant in 2007 (who was either Esteban or Holly), the person who was a contestant in 2008 (who was surnamed either Chisholm or Noel), the business management major, the person who won a barbecue, the winner of the laptop computer, and the person who played Short Circuit.
2. Esteban and the astronomy major are the contestant surnamed Chisholm and the contestant who won a laptop, in some order.  Lana and the person who played Three's a Crowd are the contestant surnamed Noel and the contestant who won a lithograph, in some order.
3. The student with the last name Richland did not win either the brass bed or the lithograph.  The student who won dance lessons did not play either Identity Crisis or Three's a Crowd.
4. Belinda (who appeared on the show exactly one year before the contestant who played Break the Bank) and DeAndre are the student surnamed Richland and the contestant who played Float Your Boat, in some order.  The young man with the first name of Morris was a contestant either exactly two years before or two years after the contestant who played Roundabout.
5. Holly and the alumnus who studied kinesiology are the person surnamed Jumpp and the person who won a barbecue, in some order.  The kinesiology student was not the person who played Break the Bank (who didn't win dance lessons).  If the astronomy student played Break the Bank, then he or she is surnamed Jumpp.
6. Morris and the French student are the person surnamed Gambini and the winner of the dance lessons, in some order.  Belinda (who studied neither French nor business management) played neither Identity Crisis nor Roundabout.
7. The student surnamed Albertson won either a brass bed or a designer handbag.  The person who won a laptop (who is not seeking nor has ever sought a degree in either law or mathematics) did not play Identity Crisis.  The contestant who appeared on TV exactly two years after Albertson was not the law major.

The deadline for this puzzle is tentatively set at Wednesday July 18 at 8 PM Eastern.  I'll extend the deadline if necessary.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

Offline Doughnut

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Crumbs from a Doughnut
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Wow, this fourth one is hard!

I'm not giving up on it, though; I'll just relax for now and try again later.  I really like this type of puzzle.  :)
Yes, I'm still around. :P

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
 8-O

Yeah I'm going to be a while. If ever.
Season 8 (2011-12) CSS 3rd Place

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
Wow, this fourth one is hard!

I'm not giving up on it, though; I'll just relax for now and try again later.  I really like this type of puzzle.  :)

8-O

Yeah I'm going to be a while. If ever.

And remember, there's still a puzzle after this one.  You think this one is hard?  Just wait. :twisted:

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder if some clues are missing from this.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
A hint for "Price Is Always Correct" is coming later today.  It won't be something that gives away the solution, but it should get everybody started in the right direction.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
Re: G-R.net Logic Problem Challenge II -- Puzzle #4 HINT
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
All of the information needed to solve this puzzle is given indirectly (rather than directly, which you typically see in logic problems).  You'll have to compare two or more clues at the same time in order to eliminate or establish connections.

The first key to solving this puzzle is determining Albertson's first name.  All six of the first names used in this puzzle--Belinda, DeAndre, Esteban, Holly, Lana, and Morris--are part of an "in some order" clue.  We know directly that Albertson won either a brass bed or a designer handbag, according to Clue 7... so look at the "in some order" clues involving the six first names and determine which names won't work with Albertson.

Don't forget to use Clue 1, too.  All six people are mentioned there... and one of them has to be Albertson.

I can't say any more without literally giving away a connection, but hopefully, this will help.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: G-R.net Logic Problem Challenge II -- Puzzle #4 HINT
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
That's the hint?  I was hoping for something like "Person X did/didn't play Game Y" or a hint in the same way the original 7 were hints.  Perhaps identify whether Morris was two years before or after the Roundabout contestant without saying it's one of the two.  (There is more you can say without literally giving away a connection.)  I think I've gone as far as I can with Albertson, even though I don't know Albertson's first name.
Still, I do appreciate you giving a hint (and there are probably several who found this hint a tremendous help).

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
 8-O

I just realized something GIGANTIC. I'm surprised I found it, to be honest.

EDIT: Five days and I finally have my first check!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:44:45 PM by RCPlanes59 »

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
I know you probably can't give too much away without spoiling what you realized.  However, is it possible for you to identify which clue(s) you were looking at when you realized something gigantic?

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 11:40:43 PM »
CAN'T SLEEP... MUST FINISH PUZZLE... BUT HAVE TO GET UP IN 7 HOURS RAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Also JokerFan, there really wasn't one specific clue. It was just sort of a chain reaction.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »
That's why I said clue(s), meaning one but possibly more, although you indicated that it would be difficult to give the clue(s) since it was like a chain reaction, so I guess I'm back to finding something that is very well hidden.

EDIT: Just after posting this, I looked at the clues and found something that also gave me a check mark.  Yeah!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
So far, only two people have PMd a guess on the solution to my hard puzzle.  But they were both correct solutions.

I'm sure the third person will figure out the solution by Wednesday.  If he does, then I don't really see any reason to extend the deadline because I doubt that anybody else on this forum is willing to go for it.

Either way, that highly anticipated final puzzle will be up by next Friday.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »
Either way, that highly anticipated final puzzle will be up by next Friday.
Does it have to be the final puzzle? ::( Even if I'm stuck, I still enjoy the idea of doing these puzzles.  It doesn't need to be an even more difficult puzzle.