Author Topic: Season 41 Taping Report  (Read 41540 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Season 41 Taping Report
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »
I think the problem is actually that the look of the show feels like it's stuck in between past and future. It was obvious in Season 36 that they were going for a retro-kitsch look, but since then, that approach has been abandoned in favor of modernization. Fair enough, but the modernizations are being built extremely slowly out of the S36 retro-kitsch look, which makes the entire thing look unbalanced and, to many, an eyesore. If they wanted to modernize they should have just built a new look from the ground up, and that does not necessarily mean the American Idol-esque set that was rumored at one time. Look at GSN's The Pyramid - there's a good example of how to make a modern set that still captures the spirit of the original.

Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of seeing your posts start with this, it's like you're laughing at the rest of us.  Knock it the heck off.

I don't understand why that smiley even still exists. It serves almost no purpose other than to be used for mocking others, which contributes nothing constructive to any discussion.

Dude, it's Alex Davis.  What do you expect?

This time, Steve, you're exactly right. The thing is, though, I do believe he has said that he didn't even watch the show before Drew started, which makes Hag's assessment actually pretty accurate.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline 3DSETDESIGNER

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
I slightly agree with yeah's on that

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
This time, Steve, you're exactly right. The thing is, though, I do believe he has said that he didn't even watch the show before Drew started, which makes Hag's assessment actually pretty accurate.

Davis wasn't even interested in game shows before, if I remember correctly, Millionaire, and he still doesn't seem to have any respect for most of what came before it.  The notion of him as an authority on the genre is a falsehood of his own invention that, for whatever reason, everyone just seems to listen to.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
I didn't even know of Alex Davis...clearly I'm going to have to read more of his articles.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
How is that a silly statement if viewing demographics have changed since the '70s?

What?  Fewer people in their 60s watch TPIR?

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot.  I'll bet someone breaks the logo on the door somehow this season.  I don't know how, but it will happen.

Cyclone
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:37:40 PM by Cyclone »

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
Does that mean we will see new art work from you. lol

Yeah, probably. Just wait til the next season and you'll probably find out depending on what comes up.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
What?  Fewer people in their 60s watch TPIR?

There are more to demographics than just age.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
There are more to demographics than just age.

Indeed.  That one, however, never changes.

Cyclone

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
So the new logo is 3D and lights up.  Now it makes a bit more sense why it's so small and appears washed out in the photos.  I can accept this change a little more now that I know this.  I think it's a neat idea to have it light up.  It would still look better if it were bigger but that can't be helped I suppose.

The actual retail price is...

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
Yeah, I like the new look for the doors and logo. I'm sure it will look a lot better on television, and with straight-on shots of the doors instead of the side views.

Sorry, I'm just basically regurgitating what various people have said on here, but I really do like the new look.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
I do like the idea of lights installed in the doors, it's just that the logo being so small bothers me.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
I kinda like the doors, to be honest (and I know I'm going against two of my fellow WoFL's staffers, but hey :P). I think they were due an upgrade, but, while they were upgrading things, I think they should've change the giant price tag to match the doors. That should have been done 4 years ago, really...
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:43 AM »
I kinda like the doors, to be honest (and I know I'm going against two of my fellow WoFL's staffers, but hey :P). I think they were due an upgrade, but, while they were upgrading things, I think they should've change the giant price tag to match the doors. That should have been done 4 years ago, really...

1)  What's WoFL?
2)  There was a similar discussion a few years ago when the doors were first changed to the square patterns, and it went something like this:  "They should change the GPT too!" / "Why go to the expense to change something that's only seen on camera in full every once in a while?"  That argument still holds water today, especially with money undoubtedly being spent on other set changes and "upgrades" that probably belongs in the prize budget.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:52:33 AM by TheTechSGT »

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:33 AM »
WoFL= Wheel of Fortune Lovers; staffers= Guint and cu2010

And, yes, I can easily see where their coming from on that side of the argument. It's only seen, what, once per show two or three times a week? I can see why they wouldn't want to sink a bunch of money into something not seen all the time.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
WoFL= Wheel of Fortune Lovers; staffers= Guint and cu2010

Yes, and if you go against a WoFL staffer on G-R you can be banned from WoFL, as per the convoluded rules. :)

And, yes, I can easily see where their coming from on that side of the argument. It's only seen, what, once per show two or three times a week? I can see why they wouldn't want to sink a bunch of money into something not seen all the time.

3x a week multiplied by... I'll just guess 36 weeks (~180 shows / 5 days a week, I know its not perfect math, but still) = 108 episodes, which is over 50% of shows, that's why they would want to sink money into it....
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz