Author Topic: Clip of Japan's Big Wheel  (Read 5297 times)

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
Clip of Japan's Big Wheel
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »
Works basically the same as we know it here in the States, with a few differences...

• This clip appears to have two couples spinning against each other.  A game of Janken (rock-paper-scissors) decides who spins second (winner spins last).  I'm not sure what that fifth person is doing there--my Japanese is incredibly limited.
  • Spinning hyaku (100) wins ¥300,000 (san-ju-man-en), or roughly $3,000.  No bonus spin is taken.
  • Interestingly, this seems to be the last thing on the show rundown.  No Showcase, nothing else--the show looks like it ends after the Wheel.

I'm not going to embed it here, since it's nestled within a bunch of ads and the actual wheel-spinning starts 12 minutes in.  So use this instead:

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Clip of Japan's Big Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Hosted by...the music duo Pink Lady?! I most certainly did not see that coming!

Regardless, always good to see some of The Chance!. Based on the list in the video description, this is from 1979.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Clip of Japan's Big Wheel
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:01:42 AM »
Apologies for the double-post, but while the gameplay of the The Chance! clip does not begin until around 12:20, the clip actually begins about 40 seconds earlier.

Toward the end of the clip, there is a zoom-out of the entire stage which appears to indicate that Contestant's Row on this version used just three displays.

According to one of the few English comments on the upload, The Chance! aired from 1979-86 on TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System), indicating that this clip is from very early in the run.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.