Author Topic: TPiR Recap: 01/16/90 (Some Odd/Fun Moments, Rod's Pink Jacket)  (Read 5338 times)

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
Opening Graphics: HOUR OF EXCITEMENT, FABULOUS PRIZES, WIN WIN WIN
First four lineup: Red to Green Podiums
Barker: Stage Entrance
Handoff: Janice

Models of the Day: Holly Hallstrom, Dian Parkinson, & Janice Pennington (auditions for 4th Beauty wouldn't begin until April or May)
Wardrobe: Carol Anderson Collection

1. JVC Stereo System w/ Remote Control (Holly)
BIDS: Shannon-$950  Richard-$1060  Roznah-$1000  Michael-$1061   ARP: $1300, Michael wins.

Michael will start today's show w/ MOST EXPENSIVE for the following prizes:
Maytag Stacked Hvy Duty Washer/Dryer (Janice)
Royal Design's 5-piece "Romance" Rattan Dinette Group (Dian)
Andiamo 6-piece Nylon Luggage Set (Holly)

Bob takes a moment to ask the girls what they thought Michael does for a living.
Janice and Dian both say "A Police Officer" but Holly says "A Male Exotic Dancer" as the studio audience starts whooping and cheering w/ excitement and Bob goes "Now, You see how her mind works" w/ a laugh and Michael goes "I like that one !".  Michael is really a professional Baseball Player for the AAA Farm Club of the Phillys.

Michael says the #2 Prize is the Most Expensive.
Washer/Dryer: $1259, Luggage: $1020, Dinette: $1799 !!!  Michael wins all three prizes !

2. On the Turntable, Robinson Furniture's Glider Rocker and Foot Stool (Dian)
BIDS: ELIZABETH-$800  Shannon-$750  Richard-$975  Roznah-$850   ARP: $870, Roznah wins.

Roznah will play (4-digit) 3 STRIKES for a Subaru Justy DL (5-speed trans. Air Conditioning  CA emission) (Janice)
Numbers: 1 3 5 7
Draws: 5 (guess second spot) YES !  $- 5 - -
7 (guess first spot) YES !  $ 7 5 - -
STRIKE !!!
STRIKE !!!
1 (guess third spot)  NO
3 (guess third spot)  YES !   $ 7 5 3 -
STRIKE !!!  (Roznah has struck out and leaves empty-handed)  $ 7 5 3 1

3. Janice and Holly bring out a Headstart and IBM Home Computer System
BIDS: ALICE-$700  Elizabeth-$850  Shannon-$1000  Richard-$1010    ARP: $1010, Richard wins.

Richard will play HIT ME for a Vaughan-Bassett "Expressions" Bedroom Suite/Sag Guard "Biopedic" Mattress Setting (Janice) and
Bob Mitchell Designer Wall Coverings (Holly), $3,438.

House Card: King of Hearts (Yikes)
Grocery Products and Prices: Lavoris Mouthwash ($36.88)  YourLife Vitamins for Men ($10.99)   Surf Detergent ($4.58)
Jelly Belly Jar of Jellybeans ($48.00)  Q-Tips Swabs ($12.98)  Ty-D-Bol ($8.94)

Richard's picks: Mouthwash (real price: $4.61 and 8 of Diamonds)
Vitamins (real price: $10.99 and an ACE !!!), Richard's hand: 9 or 19 and he STAYS.

House Hand: (King of Hearts), 5 of Clubs, 5 of Hearts=20, the House wins and Richard leaves w/ nothing.

Showcase Showdown #1:
Roznah: 70-stays
Richard: 80-stays
Michael: 35-spins again-40=75, Richard advances to the Showcase Round.

4. In the "TPiR" Clamshell, Casablanca Fan Company's "Panama" Ceiling Fan Light (Holly, a Puppy frm LA Depart. Animal Regularations)
BIDS: ELDEN-$400  Shannon-$300  Elizabeth-$450  Alice-$1   ARP: $675, Elizabeth wins.

Elizabeth will play TAKE TWO for the following prizes:
La-Z-Boy's Signature Two Sleeper Sofa (Janice)
Hoover Vacuum Cleaning System (Holly)
Gibson's Master Electric Range w/ Self-Cleaning Oven (Dian)
Jewelry Armoire (no brand name given) (Dian)

Price: $1698
Picks: Sofa-$979  Vac-$450=$1429, Nope.
Second Picks: Range-$719  Sofa-$979, $1698 !!!  Elizabeth wins all four prizes !

5. Galaxy Carpet Mills' Designer Area Rug (Janice)
BIDS: MARION-$875  Shannon-$775  Elden-$600  Alice-$820   ARP: $1299, Marion wins

Marion will play SPELLING BEE for a Suzuki Sidekick 4X4 Sedan (ca emission) (Holly), $11,255
Marion's free picks: 23, 3

Dian models the three prizes up for grabs in today's Spelling Bee playing:
Vision's 5-piece Cookware Set
Osterizer's Liquidified Blender
Toastmaster Waffler

Marion's guess for Cookware: $42 (actual is $47, difference of $5), picks 19
Blender: $26 (actual is $40, difference of $14) no card
Waffler: $50 (actual is $55, difference of $5) picks 7

Marion is then offered to take $2,000 Cash and go home but wants to go for the Car.
Card 23: R (goes for Car), Card 3: R (goes for Car), Card 19: C (goes for Car), Card 7: C (WAH-WAH-WAAAAAHHH !!!)
Marion leaves w/ no Car.

Coming back from commercial, Bob comment on how good Rod looks in his Pink Suit Jacket w/ matching Bow Tie and a flirty Dian drops by and she too admires Rod in his Pink Suit and gets a little cozy w/ him.  Bob then comments that Rod's Pink Jacket is irreistisble to Dian as she continues making Goo-Goo eyes at him.

6. Dian finally gets back on track and brings to Contestant's row: a Panasonic Video Camcorder.
BIDS: CANDACE-$1200  Shannon-$1600  Elden-$1400  Alice-$1350   ALL OVERBID
BIDS: CANDACE-$1000  Shannon-$1001  Elden-$1225  Alice-$950    ARP: $999, Alice wins.

Alice will conclude today's show w/ ONE RIGHT PRICE for the following prizes:
Trip to Washington DC (6 nights at the Guest Quarters Suite) (Dian)
Trip to Puerto Vallarta (6 nights at the Krystal Vallarta) (Holly)

One Right Price: $2580
Picks Puerto Vallarta and LOSSES 
(Washington DC was $2580 and Puerto Vallarta was $1616)

Showcase Showdown #2:
Alice: 10-spins again-15=25
Marion: 15-spins again-55=70
Elizabeth: 45-spins again-20=65, Marion advances to the Showcase Round.

Showcase Round: Marion is the Top Winner, Richard is the Runner Up

Showcase #1: "Different Types of Gloves" (Dian demostrates the different gloves)
*Opera Gloves*-Jeran's Black and Gold Silk fitted floor-length Evening Gown (Janice)
*Gardening Gloves*-California Greenhouse Co's. Outdoor Sunray Greenhouse
*Snow Gloves*-His and Hers Arctic Cat Cougar and Jag Snowmobiles (Holly)
*Polishing Gloves*-Ford Thunderbird 2-Door Sedan (equip. pkg 151, frnt flr mats, ca emission)

Marion decides to keep this showcase (since she lost out on the Car in Spelling Bee) and she bids $18,250.

Showcase #2: "TPiR Train Depot" (Holly is the Conductor, Janice is driving the Train)
Royal Products' Wine Closet (Holly)
Goldenwest Pipe & Supply Doweny's Old Fashioned "Ball & Claw" Bathtub (*naked* Dian)
Mitsbushi's 50-inch Big Screen Television (Holly)

Richard bids only $6,500.

Actual Price of Marion's showcase: $29,756
Difference: $11,506

Actual Price of Richard's showcase: $11,951
Difference: $5,451
Richard has won a grand total of $13,046 in prizes which includes a Big Screen TV and Bathtub as he walks over to shake hands w/ Barker's Beauties and they walk him over to the Priceless Train Depot to get a closer look and the prizes that were delivered there.

Pretty Decent show, would've been nicer if there could've been more wins but overall it was a nice show.

Richard had rare bad luck in the Hit Me game where the House beat him by one measly point but he made a nifty comeback by walking away w/ his showcase of Train Depot prizes.

Holly was such a pro as the Conductor in the Train Depot showcases, it was so much fun watching her do the conducting throughout the years she was on the show.  On this episode, Holly found herself in a bit of a messy situation, when she stepped back up on the platform as the train was bringing the Bathtub, Holly had a messy spot on her pants that came from the steam of the train as it was blowing furociously as Holly wipes off the marks on her pants just for them to get messed up again as she stepped back down and walk over to the TV and it was kinda funny as Holly was wiping off the steam marks on her pants and she had a look like "Look at my pants !" and plus I liked that conductor look WAY better than when they changed it to a model wearing a skirt and no necktie.

An odd moment from this show is the "Second Thoughts" was played twice (Most Expensive and Take Two) and the prize music that's normally played for games like Race Game, Take Two, was heard during the Ceiling Fan prize plug.

Bob commented on how good Rod looked in his Pink Jacket and matching Bow Tie and of course, Dian just had to waltz on over to his podium and make goo-goo eyes at him, that's Dian.

Back then it was only a few weeks into then-1990 and Holly, Janice, and Holly were still the trio of Barker's Beauties but all they changed come late April, early May 1990 when producers began auditioning models in search of finding a 4th Barker's Beauty and they found the perfect candidate when she made her official debut on "TPiR" on December 24, 1990, Kathleen Bradley !

Pretty Good Show overall.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:28:09 PM by kassilynn »
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: TPiR Recap: 01/16/90 (Some Odd/Fun Moments, Rod's Pink Jacket)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
I wonder if the TPIR sign on the right-hand side of the audience was still its original size or if it was downsized by this point.  Also, if another clam pattern replaced the one that was introduced on 10/15/87.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
The "TPiR" sign of the right-hand side of the audience WAS still the original size, I'm not really sure when they downsized it (I think around 1992) and the clam pattern from this show, it was painted red w/ a gigantic yellow dollar sign on it. 

You can check out the entire episode on Youtube...type in: TPiR Jan. 16, 1990 and it's divided into five parts.
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
The sign was downsized by 2/12/90's show, and the clam pattern was replaced with a "rainbow" one of dollar signs on that episode, but I will check this out.

I'd kill to see the episode that aired the week after this one, on 1/23/90, because that was the day I was born.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
Holly was such a pro as the Conductor in the Train Depot showcases, it was so much fun watching her do the conducting throughout the years she was on the show.  On this episode, Holly found herself in a bit of a messy situation, when she stepped back up on the platform as the train was bringing the Bathtub, Holly had a messy spot on her pants that came from the steam of the train as it was blowing furociously as Holly wipes off the marks on her pants just for them to get messed up again as she stepped back down and walk over to the TV and it was kinda funny as Holly was wiping off the steam marks on her pants and she had a look like "Look at my pants !" and plus I liked that conductor look WAY better than when they changed it to a model wearing a skirt and no necktie.

That's not really steam...it was likely powder from a fire extinguisher that gave the effect of steam on camera...that's what she had to keep brushing off.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place