Author Topic: Triple Play Question  (Read 2133 times)

Offline tperkins

• In the Audience
Triple Play Question
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Why did Triple Play stop using the clangs and whoops for wins in 2007?

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: Triple Play Question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:59:21 PM »
Why did Triple Play stop using the clangs and whoops for wins in 2007?

Mostly because it stopped being won.

(And someone will come in and point out that it was won on XX/XX/XX.  I know.)

Seriously, I have no idea.  I still don't know why $10,000 on Grand Game gets clangers.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
Every cash game but 1/2 Off uses clangers when it's won, so it's more or less traditional.

As for Triple Play...perhaps they didn't think it was that impressive of a feat? No clue.

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
On one of Bob's last MDS shows, Triple Play was played and the contestant won all three of the Cars and the plain winning bell was used.
Getting rid of the DSW Siren in Triple Play was a bad move, that's taking the fun out of it.
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
On one of Bob's last MDS shows, Triple Play was played and the contestant won all three of the Cars and the plain winning bell was used.

That was actually the special for Bob Barker's 50 Years in Television, which was not a Million Dollar Spectacular.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Was it removed in Drew's 2 wins in S36?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Yes.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
I still don't know why $10,000 on Grand Game gets clangers.

Well, back when the game first came out, $10,000 was a lot of money, and a good amount more than the cars went for, so back then, the clangers were fairly justified. Maybe not so much now, but I guess they never bothered to remove them.

Every cash game but 1/2 Off uses clangers when it's won, so it's more or less traditional.

*goes to check something*

Yep. Even The Phone Home Game had clangers when the $10K was found. Of course, we might never hear Plinko or Pay the Rent clangers...

And at least 1/2 Off gets fireworks, I guess...

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
Well, back when the game first came out, $10,000 was a lot of money, and a good amount more than the cars went for, so back then, the clangers were fairly justified. Maybe not so much now, but I guess they never bothered to remove them.

They tried to get away from using the whoooops and clangs for Grand Game in the early 90s pretty frequently, but I think it sounded weird to have just a regular bell for a win in that game. It also sounded weird just having "clang clang clang" without the whoooops, in my opinion. I guess the staff thought so too.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
Getting rid of the DSW Siren in Triple Play was a bad move, that's taking the fun out of it.
In that same vein, it always bothers me that this sound is never used in Golden Road either when that game is fully won. Winning a Cadillac or Corvette generates more excitement than, say, a Ford Focus or Honda Civic, so a Golden Road win definitely warrants the clangs and whoops. I agree that Triple Play should use them again as well.

At least if you lose Golden Road, you get to keep any prizes you won until the game ended.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
It's true that the cash in games such as Grand Game isn't quite as "grand" as it was 35 years ago. I do think keeping the sirens is largely tradition, which is reflected in the fact that 1/2 Off has never used the sirens, since there was no tradition dictating which sound effects to use.

However, I also think the reason they were there in the first place was because there's no prize on stage for viewers to see. The closest you can get is the idea of $10,000, so to compensate we have sirens and an on-screen graphic so that the viewers can feel the big win. Triple Play, on the other hand, needs neither of these things, because the viewer can see the cars in all the doors.