Author Topic: Pay The Rent Suggestion  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pay The Rent Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, for many reasons. First off, it's for $100,000, and getting $10,000 is pretty darn easy. Second, the fact that they don't reveal the prices forces the player to think about the general range for the items, which I love. Getting rid of that "surprise" would make the game far too easy for $100,000. Third, it HAS been "done" once, on the 2010 Veteran's Day Special, so I definitely believe it's possible to do it again. Overall, the "free" pick, in my opinion, would destroy Pay The Rent.

I know this was answered further in the next reply, but no, not revealing the price would leave the mystery about it.  For instance, the box of crackers ended up in the mailbox.  What is the price of those crackers?  Or the bottle of shampoo was relegated to the attic.  If you think the price of the shampoo is no more than maybe $6.49, you have to figure out three floors AND correctly order them while making sure they are all under $6.49.  It's still a difficult challenge, and maybe that shampoo is $5.99, so you can still lose if you got a floor at $6.25 against that.

Cyclone

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »
It was played the same way on Veteran's Day as it has every other time it's been played.  The thing that has been "done" is getting all the prizes in the correct order.  This would have resulted in a win if the contestant didn't quit.

I understand now. Too bad he quit

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 05:20:06 AM »
The problem with all this discussion is that any changes to make Pay the Rent easier would destroy its entire purpose of offering a large prize that shall never be awarded.

(Detractors: the part of Plinko in which money is won is based on physics, not pricing. The pricing element only determines how many chances you get at winning money.)
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TheFuture1105

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
There's a flaw in the idea.  If you give the contestant an item for free it may end up being the item that goes in the mailbox.  In that case you'd be giving the contestant $1,000 without having to price anything.

No matter what you pick it doesn't make the game any easier.  You still need to place the other items if you're playing to win it all.  If you got one of the items for the middle levels as your free choice it'd still be tough figuring out what goes with it.  Getting the top item is basically a wasted pick.

Also, there's no guarantee that there is only one solution per playing, so it might not be possible to give a free guess.  Every recap I've read here has shown only one solution but we can't be sure it's set up like that every time.  If so, maybe the fact that there is only one solution is something the show does not want to reveal.  Giving them a free pick would give that secret about the game away. Just because LFaTs and the producers know there's been one exact order per playing thus far doesn't mean the contestant should know it.

I'd say just lower the top prize and then change the types of grocery items.  Why does the top prize have to be $100,000?  If the top prize was $20K it'd still be a good amount to go home with.  With the top prize lowered they can then afford to make the game easier by using grocery items that vary more in price.  Making this game more winnable and easier to play along at home will make it better TV.

Slightly OT but if I were advising a contestant about playing Pay the Rent I'd suggest thinking about it top down.  Even though Drew has you place the items from the bottom up if you thought about what should go up top first (i.e. identifying the most expensive item) then work your way down it'd be an easier approach to the game.  Not that Drew should have contestants place them top down but the contestant should keep mental notes on it.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
Also, there's no guarantee that there is only one solution per playing, so it might not be possible to give a free guess.  Every recap I've read here has shown only one solution but we can't be sure it's set up like that every time.  If so, maybe the fact that there is only one solution is something the show does not want to reveal.  Giving them a free pick would give that secret about the game away. Just because LFaTs and the producers know there's been one exact order per playing thus far doesn't mean the contestant should know it.

Any observant viewer would notice this.  The only people who would not know are those who never watch the show but show up at Studio 33 to come on down.  They tend to get chosen, I think, for this very reason.

Cyclone

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
I would love to know Rogers take on this game & how he would fix it

Offline palmer7

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
I could add that to another part of Roger's interview.

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
There's a flaw in the idea.  If you give the contestant an item for free it may end up being the item that goes in the mailbox.  In that case you'd be giving the contestant $1,000 without having to price anything.

That's how the game works now.

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
The easiest solution still to fix the game is simply give the house a street number that is your "the mailbox has to be over X".  Fixes all the problems with the game.

(some of you are new...that's my suggestion.)
Now THAT'S a good idea! Please, try submitting that idea to The Price is Right, as it would make this game MUCH better.  :-D
Stop the madness.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
The guy playing today (how did I know college students would ask for cash prizes leading to this game's inclusion?) almost got it right.  He chose the 5th highest for the mailbox.  I will go back and analyze it later (on PVR) as I'm sure the episode recap also will.

Cyclone

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
The guy playing today (how did I know college students would ask for cash prizes leading to this game's inclusion?) almost got it right.  He chose the 5th highest for the mailbox.  I will go back and analyze it later (on PVR) as I'm sure the episode recap also will.

Cyclone

I figured out the right combination, but I don't wish to be a spoiler, so I'll wait until the recap shows up.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:40:48 AM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
I hate to mini-mod but your not suppose to discuss today's show outside the summaries section. And this is a major spoiler.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
I hate to mini-mod but your not suppose to discuss today's show outside the summaries section. And this is a major spoiler.
Sorry. My bad. Anyway, I edited combination out of the previous post.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:50:30 AM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »
Sorry. My bad. Anyway, I edited combination out of the previous post.
I'm not sure if I should state this here or not, but for the Wheel of Fortune game...it's your turn, and you haven't posted a puzzle for a while. Would you mind if I did so to keep the game moving?
Stop the madness.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
I'm not sure if I should state this here or not, but for the Wheel of Fortune game...it's your turn, and you haven't posted a puzzle for a while. Would you mind if I did so to keep the game moving?

Not to mini-mod, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Cyclone