Author Topic: Pay The Rent Suggestion  (Read 14217 times)

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
Re: Pay The Rent Suggestion
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
Going back on topic, I think tpirfan28's idea is a good one.

The easiest solution still to fix the game is simply give the house a street number that is your "the mailbox has to be over X".  Fixes all the problems with the game.

(some of you are new...that's my suggestion.)

Much better than anything I'd come up with.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
Not to mini-mod, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Cyclone
Nothing. I just wanted to let him know something/ask him a question, and felt like this was the only place to do so, since I couldn't find him anywhere else. Feel free to delete this post and my other one.
Stop the madness.

Offline palmer7

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
Roger's got a suggestion on the interview page, but I'll post it here anyway.

"In my opinion, Pay the Rent is a mean, deceitful game as it is now played on the show.  It tricks the player into losing bigtime.  It is obvious that the most intuitive thing for a regular contestant to do in that game is to put the cheapest on the bottom and the most expensive on top.  Unfortunately, for the contestant, it is purposely not set up that way by the producers   Because of that deception the contestant loses.  (We used to avoid tricking contestants as much as possible.  I didn't like playing Double Prices with a fake price ending in a five and the real price ending in a two!). 

If I was forced to revamp the game...rather than retire it...(revamping in lieu of retiring it because of all the money spent on the set piece)

Get rid of the $1000 prize for just putting an item in the first box...it is a meaningless win.

Since the game, in my opinion, is not really a "fun" game nor an especially interesting one, I would lower the top prize from $100,000 to $10,000 (or $20,000, depending on the budget).  I would make the bailout option on level 3 much less.  This also would allow the game to get into regular rotation.

One of the beefs I have with this game having such a big cash prize is that it took the thunder away from Plinko.  Pay the Rent dethroned Plinko as the premiere cash game on the Price Is Right.  Plinko (whether you like it or not) is a signature game of the show invoking excitement on its reveal, and, for long time viewers, nostalgia.  Pay the Rent was not worthy of knocking Plinko down one level.

I would then make the game easier to win.    I would study the possible permutations of grocery prices possibilities. Hopefully, there would be a way so that the cheapest one DOES go in the bottom box, and the most expensive one goes into the top position with the game still remaining somewhat challenging.  It does not mean that the contestant would get it right, but at least the contestant would intuitively attempt to do it that way.

Thus, the objective for the contestant is 1) figure our what he thinks is the cheapest 2)figure out the correct combinations for the next two levels, and 3) place the item he thinks is the most expensive on the top level.

Yes, I realize that this is similar to placing items from cheapest to most expensive (as in Hole In One).  The only difference is that the middle two levels require a combination of two prices.  Many of our games are similar...one of our jobs at TPIR was to, as Jay Wolpert explained it to me, "throwing sand in people's faces so that they don't really realize the games are the similar"!"

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
There's no way to fix Rent really that Mike will do. But at least DOB is aware of it.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
I agree with Roger.  Pay The Rent is a "mean, deceitful game" - that is not worthy of such a great game show as The Price Is Right.  While other games during the Barker era were adjusted as time went on - Mike will never adjust Pay The Rent or any other game he introduces.  His ego simply will not allow it.     

Offline Dakotakid2007

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
I forgot something - for example, "Bargain Game."  Not a very creative new name.  Why wasn't it called what Bob and Drew direct the contestant to do = to choose "The Bigger Bargain." 

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
Pretty sure it's because Bargain Game is the name that is used in many of the show's records. Not really worth going to creativity when you have an alternate name.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Pretty sure it's because Bargain Game is the name that is used in many of the show's records. Not really worth going to creativity when you have an alternate name.

No kidding, not when the creative minds at TPIR can bring you other creative names, such as Pay The Rent.  Why not "The $100,000 Game"? :P

Cyclone

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »
Here's a suggestion: Get rid of the game. It hasn't been won since its debut and it'll never get won. It's nothing but a jinx game and leads nothing but bad luck throughout a show after its playing (i.e. yesterday's Back-To-School show and before that).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:55:20 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
^I shall say this once more: that is the entire reason why Pay The Rent exists.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
^I shall say this once more: that is the entire reason why Pay The Rent exists.

So every episode with Pay the Tui-...Rent is going to be an 0/6 show?

Cyclone

Offline Rusty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
So every episode with Pay the Tui-...Rent

I don't get it.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »
Yesterday Pay the Rent was renamed Pay the Tuition.  It's happened at least twice, on two Back to School specials.

Cyclone

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
I don't see Pay the Rent going anywhere without at least one $100K winner. Besides, one contestant, despite bailing out with $10K, had the right combination.

It'll be only a matter of time before it happens again (be it bailout or win).
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 06:01:33 PM »
Interesting that the DOB would consider looking for setups where the cheapest item can go in the lowest floor. It's mathematically impossible for that to happen and for there to be one unique solution. But, what if there were multiple solutions, including one where the cheapest item goes in the mailbox? It would require a much lower top prize (maybe $20,000) since the game would be a fair amount easier.

Obviously, no way on earth Mike would consider such an idea, but still.  :P