Author Topic: Pay The Rent Suggestion  (Read 14210 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Pay The Rent Suggestion
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
In a attempt to make the game easier, do you think that the contestant should get a "free" pick, as in they can pick one item and be told where it has to be put in order to win the $100,000?

That way we might have a winner. Maybe.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pay The Rent Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
Since other games do it, yes, it might not be a bad idea.

Pity the guy who picks the Attic item.  But at the same time, they might have a good clue about the rest of the prices, it's really of benefit if there is one single item you do not know the price of.

Cyclone

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
What if I don't want to go for the top prize? You're locking me into to something I wouldn't necessarily want to do.

It would be helpful to know the price of one prize.  That way I could decide by myself what to do with that information.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
What if I don't want to go for the top prize? You're locking me into to something I wouldn't necessarily want to do.

It would be helpful to know the price of one prize.  That way I could decide by myself what to do with that information.

I think you're confused.  The game is played identically to as it is now, but one item can be located for you.  I assume the price is also revealed, but this could still be hidden too.

Cyclone

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
Now that's one of the best ideas I've ever heard!  ;-)

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
In a attempt to make the game easier, do you think that the contestant should get a "free" pick, as in they can pick one item and be told where it has to be put in order to win the $100,000?

That way we might have a winner. Maybe.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, for many reasons. First off, it's for $100,000, and getting $10,000 is pretty darn easy. Second, the fact that they don't reveal the prices forces the player to think about the general range for the items, which I love. Getting rid of that "surprise" would make the game far too easy for $100,000. Third, it HAS been "done" once, on the 2010 Veteran's Day Special, so I definitely believe it's possible to do it again. Overall, the "free" pick, in my opinion, would destroy Pay The Rent.
Stop the madness.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, for many reasons. First off, it's for $100,000, and getting $10,000 is pretty darn easy. Second, the fact that they don't reveal the prices forces the player to think about the general range for the items, which I love. Getting rid of that "surprise" would make the game far too easy for $100,000. Third, it HAS been "done" once, on the 2010 Veteran's Day Special, so I definitely believe it's possible to do it again. Overall, the "free" pick, in my opinion, would destroy Pay The Rent.
Well, they could hide the price of the "free item", but still show where it goes.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
Well, they could hide the price of the "free item", but still show where it goes.
I still don't think that would work. Interesting suggestion, though!
Stop the madness.

Online tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
The easiest solution still to fix the game is simply give the house a street number that is your "the mailbox has to be over X".  Fixes all the problems with the game.

(some of you are new...that's my suggestion.)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
I still say the best solution to fix the game is find the extra blowtorch in the back.

(Though I've liked 28's solution.)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »

I did not even know they actually tried a variation of this on Veterans Day. How did they do it?

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
It was played the same way on Veteran's Day as it has every other time it's been played.  The thing that has been "done" is getting all the prizes in the correct order.  This would have resulted in a win if the contestant didn't quit.

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »
It was played the same way on Veteran's Day as it has every other time it's been played.  The thing that has been "done" is getting all the prizes in the correct order.  This would have resulted in a win if the contestant didn't quit.
Thank you very much for clarifying that for me.  :biggrin:
Stop the madness.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
I approve this idea. We should submit this suggestion to the show to improve Pay The Rent.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
The easiest solution still to fix the game is simply give the house a street number that is your "the mailbox has to be over X".  Fixes all the problems with the game.

It is the easiest, and most creative way to help make this game better. It accomplishes so much..
1.It actually makes the $1,000 a reward for doing something right.
2.It will usually eliminate all the need for the awkward "you dont put them in order" talk, as it should be obvious that the cheapest item does not go in the mailbox.
3.Makes the game more exciting as you hopefully get less bad decisions for the mailbox.
It does all that, while still not making the game a whole lot easier... it just makes it more fair.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.