Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/17/2012 (2012 Back to School Special)  (Read 29929 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 8/17/2012 (2012 Back to School Special)
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - April 23, 2012

Episode #6022K
Aired – August 17, 2012; Tape Date – May 31, 2012
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Amber Lancaster, Rachel Reynolds
Drew's Choice of Entrance: Door #2
Microphone Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

First IUFB: Laptop Computer (15 inch MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, HD Webcam, all in 1 wireless printer; ARP: $1929) (Manuela)

JELAEH MALCOLM TIFFANY SRIKRISHNA WINNER
$1100 $1250 $2000 $2001 MALCOLM

Malcolm, a student at Washington State University, is playing Pay the Rent Tuition! (Amber and Rachel)

FLOOR LOCATION ITEM ITEM
ARP
LEVEL
TOTAL
DECISION
ATTIC Safe Sparco 8.5"x11" whiteboard $8.00 $8.00
SECOND Bathtub Hershey's chocolate syrup (24oz) $2.29 $6.28 LOSS
Television Mio Berry Pomegranate Water Enhancer
$3.99
FIRST Stove Fritos Chiki Cheese Chips (10.5oz) $3.49 $8.09 GO ON
Sofa 4 pack of Post-It page markers $4.60
GROUND Mailbox 12 pack of OfficeMax Ballpoint Pens $5.99 $5.99 GO ON

The right combination: Pens ($5.99), Post Its ($4.60) and Syrup ($2.29) ($6.89), Chips ($3.49) and Mio ($3.99) ($7.48), Board ($8.00)

Second IUFB: Pair of Nikon 10MP cameras (ARP: $1,298) (Hot Air Balloon)

Jelaeh CHARLES Tiffany Srikrishna WINNER
$800 $600 $601 $450 JELAEH

Jelaeh is playing Coming Or Going for a trip to Greece (San Torini, 6n, junior suite at Astarte Suites, half-day scooter rental) (Manuela)

6 1 4 9      
ARP: $9,416
*LOSS*

Third IUFB: Selection of Back to School Essentials (17pc bedding, backpack, umbrella, etc. from Vera Bradley; ARP: $699) (Rachel)

KAYLA Charles Tiffany Srikrishna WINNER
$3000 $1
Really?
$500 $501 SRIKRISHNA

Srikrishna, a student at the University of California: Los Angeles, is playing Dice Game for 2012 Toyota Prius C-II Hybrid (Preferred accessory package, hybrid synergy drive, and security system)

GUESS 2   4 6  
DICE ROLL 6 4 5 4
GUESS 1 4   2

ARP: $21,462 LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Srikrishna $699 85 STAY 85
Jelaeh $1,298 55 20 75
Malcolm $1,929 95 STAY 95 *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Game Consoles (320GB PS3 and PS Vita, with MLB 12 The Show (PS3), Wipeout 2048 (Vita), and MLB 12 The Show (Vita) ARP: $855) (Manuela)

Kayla Charles Tiffany SPENCER WINNER
$750 $749
$600 $650 KAYLA

Kayla, a student at the University of Massachusetts, is playing Double Cross for a Samsung 46" 3D LED HDTV with WiFi and Skype, 2 pairs of 3D glasses (Rachel), BMS Heritage 150 scooter w/ Auto trans, electric start, front disc brakes (Amber)

Board:
HD TV Scooter
4 9
3 0
2 6
5 9
1 7
4 7
Scooter HD TV

Result: (Chose $1,586 and $2,987)
HD TV Scooter
4 9
3 0
2 6
5 9
1 7
4 7
Scooter HD TV

WIN
ARP's: $1,586 and $2,897

Fifth IUFB: Home Theater System (7.1 Channel AV Receiver, 7 speakers, sublimiter); ARP: $899) (Rachel)

COURTNEY Charles Tiffany Spencer WINNER
$1000 $1200 $1201 $2 SPENCER

Spencer is playing Cliff Hangers for a Laundry for a Year (DormMom.com), Pizza for a Year (52 pizzas from Papa John's), $500 Baskin Robbins gift card, $3000 in cash for textbooks; ARP:$5,130 (Manuela)

ITEMS (Rachel) GUESS ACTUAL STEPS
Tumbler $12 $20 8
Pitcher $25 $32 15
Coffee Maker $55 $40 OFF CLIFF (30)

Tiffany has just been seriously outlucked this entire game. If she doesn't get this next item up for bid, she's being sent to Girard, Ohio for a lesson in how to bid.

Sixth IUFB: Tablet and Smartphone (Pantech Tablet (waterproof)), LG 5 MP camera SmartPhone with Calling Plan; ARP: $1,689) (George)

Courtney Charles Tiffany JACQUELYN WINNER
$1000 $1200 $1201 $2000 TIFFANY

Tiffany escapes Girard and is playing That's Too Much for a 2012 Hyundai Veloster (Cargo Net, Cargo Seating, Cargo Mat)

$16,490 $17,175 $18,941 $19,980 $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
  ARP: $18,450 LOSS            

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Spencer $899 95 STAY 95 *SHOWCASE*
Tiffany $1,689 30 45 75
Kayla $5,338 5 40 45

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES
Malcolm has the option to bid or pass.

SC1 - SPENCER JAMAICA MON TRIP/SUV
BID: $27,000 Trip to Jamaica (6n at Jakes Hotel at Treasure Beach + lunch @ Floyd's Pelican Bar) (Manuela)
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport (2L engine, FWD, manual trans) (Rachel)
ARP: $30,323
DIFF: $3,323
*WIN*$31,222
SC2 - MALCOLM HOW TO MAKE YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS HAPPY AND/OR JEALOUS PARTY/CAR
BID: $21,000 Catered party for 50 (Rachel)
$2,500 in cash (Rachel)
2012 Volkswagen GTI (2L turbo-charged engine, manual trans, first aid kit, mat kit) (Rachel)
ARP: $31,285
DIFF: $10,285
LOSS$1,929

Show Results: 1 out of 6
Total Winnings: $42,175

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY ROADGEEK ADAM
TEMPLATES BY KITCH, (RECAPPER 2010-12)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:31:15 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/17/2012 (2012 Back to School Special)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »
Nothing good has ever come from Pay The Rent (or this case, Pay The Tuition).................Nothing.

And remember when I said in a different topic that Dice Game was like PTR, well I hate to say, "I told you so", but.....................It looks like Dice Game will never get won now that Mike screwed that game up.

At least Double Cross had a win, though.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
Nothing good has ever come from Pay The Rent (or this case, Pay The Tuition).................Nothing.

And remember when I said in a different topic that Dice Game was like PTR, well I hate to say, "I told you so", but.....................It looks like Dice Game will never get won now that Richards screwed that game up.
Never say never. One day, PTR will get a win, and Dice Game, too (Richards can set up the prices, but not the dice rolls).

BTW, Pay the Tuition came a little close this time around.

Here's the right combination:

Attic: Board: $8.00
3rd floor: Chips: $3.49, Flavoring: $3.99 ($7.48)
2nd floor: Post-It Notes: $4.60, Syrup: $2.29 ($6.89)
Mailbox: Pens: $5.99

The contestant only got the syrup and chips mixed up.

BTW again, Double Cross now has cool think music.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:51:22 PM by Swingbatta0 »
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »
I am currently watching this on the west coast (family vacation), I'm on PG6 as I start to this. Assorted comments...

-... I bleeping still hate Pay the Rent. This is the 2nd time the mailbox was correct (both times the box was an item surprisingly expensive for a contestant, that's about the only way it happens) and instead, it's 1.15/pc post-its and I-have-no-clue-what-that-is water enhancer and a-bit-low syrup that screws him out of it. I could totally see those middle items working out, but they don't, it's almost always going to look a bit wrong - syrup + post-its being more than pens? You'd think it's a bit short. Instead he has 4+2 and 1+3 paired of all things, the lowest two which did not quite look the lowest being the problem.

-Dice can really just go away for awhile. I hope it turns around eventually, but it feels like every 1/6 ends up being rolled a 2/5 and insta-loss, or on a 3/4, they go against the odds and it's somehow always wrong. Additionally, Mike used a compact trim of the usual Prius to try to get a loss right away on the 2nd digit on top of that. Nearly as unwatchable as Rent.

-CROSS! WIN! UNIQUE THINK CUE! :-D A real footnote to this one, but it's history! Also, I was expecting green Xs, but instead just a swirling astral BG. I didn't notice if the price displays flashed or not. It looks like Drew isn't going to explicitly explain Cross's "pairs of prices" aspect, but I think we can get by - it was an old woman in June, and Kayla seemed fine here. Helped also it was an easy setup.

-Not too often Cliff is lost on an overshoot. Usually I'm unhappy with Cliff losses, but I was at peace seeing this for some reason.

-You know what's worse than that blah TTM setup? The damn fakes aren't changing enough.

-Atrocious SCs. Stop saving up to give away a car here Mike, make the car games easier instead.

-Drew, in true "last taping of week and season!!!11!" form, was atrocious also. Even in my glee over Cross he did not do a good job there either. Very mumbly. You've improved this season quite a bit at times Drew, now we need even more consistency from you.

-You can really see why even Dimich was fired - the editing was also really bad. Bids in row being heard did not match up with the row flashing up a couple times, and a lot of similarly detached lines everywhere. Why are we cutting this stuff all up, for time? The lineup wasn't that long even with Rent.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
PtR: I can't believe Malcolm came as close as he did to winning this thing. I thought for sure the water enhancer would be the cheapest item.

CoG: Should've been won.

Dice: This just wasn't the best of seasons for this PG.

DC: Easy.

C-H: Spencer should've bid $30-$50 for the coffeemaker.

TTM: I thought for sure $19,980 was the right one, too.

Showcases: Well, at least Malcolm wasn't going to be the season's highest winner.

Not the best episode this month.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
OK, so if you missed this one, you didn't miss much, except for Double Cross. It now has very cool new think music, plus it's the first time it was won so you get to see what happens in that case (unfortunately, it's not nearly as cool as what happens during a loss, but still nice to see). This was pretty blatantly set up for a win today too.

Unlike the rest of the show which, well, went about as expected. I think Mike's M.O. is if someone is jumping up and down happy standing next to a car at the end of the show, it doesn't matter what else happened. This certainly explains how he set up the show today - cars in both SCs, but general lockdown on cars/cash elsewhere, with some of the cheaper games left open to prevent the dreaded skunk. Oh, and Rent is still useless. At least the tuition sign looks professional now? It had an easier mailbox item than usual today (you'd be surprised how much a 12-pack of pens costs - apparently a lot of people were!) This made it easier for someone to get a shot, but it also made it easier for someone to foul up the middle two rows and walk away with nothing, which is what happened.

What an awful season for Dice Game. That was a pretty vicious setup today though - that was the first time the Prius compact has been seen on the show. A normal Prius on the show is in the 24k-range. This is 21. You can see how that would cause problems. He managed to dodge it, but ran into -62 anyway - yeah, that one probably wasn't going to be won except with some real lucky rolls.

Oh, and a historic lineup note: This was the first lineup in the history of the show to have two post-Roger games. And it had TTM in it too, so it was the most Mike-ish lineup of them all :)

Timings:
Pay The Rent (7) - 7:18
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 3:23
Dice Game (4.5) - 4:38
Double Cross (4) - 3:57
Cliff Hangers (4.5) - 5:06
That's Too Much (4) - 3:19
Total (28.5): 27:41

Offline jarvisbrodiea27

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
-You can really see why even Dimich was fired - the editing was also really bad. Bids in row being heard did not match up with the row flashing up a couple times, and a lot of similarly detached lines everywhere. Why are we cutting this stuff all up, for time? The lineup wasn't that long even with Rent.
[/quote]

His directing really sucked!! It was like seeing the show through the eyes of Bart Eskander!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
Rewatching via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmkoTwvB9nQ&t=2m26s, the winning graphics aren't half-bad. I don't particularly like the sudden flash of everything on the line, but the wrong numbers clearly dim and the border for the right prices "move around" in keeping with the astral theme.

EDIT: Oh yeah, PTTuition did look quite... restrained today. Like they took effort to design the alternate set for future shows. God dammit. I really badly wanted that 1/6 chance to work out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:28:18 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
On the bright side: No skunking, and Double Cross gets its first pricing game win!

On the bad side: Almost everything else. Pay the Rent was its usual hard self, Coggy + Greece = Choose the most expensive one, Dice Game was depressing as always this season, Cliffy should have been won (2 off the threshold!), and That's Too Third showed up. Also, least expensive showcase was won. Ugh. Oh well, it wasn't a skunk, and that's pretty much all that matters for shows nowadays.  :-D
Stop the madness.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Never say never. One day, PTR will get a win, and Dice Game, too (Richards can set up the prices, but not the dice rolls).

BTW, Pay the Tuition came a little close this time around.

Here's the right combination:

Attic: Board: $8.00
3rd floor: Chips: $3.49, Flavoring: $3.99 ($7.48)
2nd floor: Post-It Notes: $4.60, Syrup: $2.29 ($6.89)
Mailbox: Pens: $5.99

The contestant only got the syrup and chips mixed up.

BTW again, Double Cross now has cool think music.
Maybe Dice will get won, but I won't hold my breath on PTR. Some people may close to winning $100K, but too many people get too bold and end up losing. Plus, the peanut gallery should've never egged Malcolm on for keep on going............He could've at least leave here with $5000 IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:59:37 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
Pay The Rent: He had a shot, with just one mistake. It seems that people might be starting to learn the gist of the game and that gives me hope for a win someday.

Coming or Going: Greece just could not be 6k. Also,I've noticed if one of the prices in this game ends in a 9, you should choose the other choice.

Dice Game: Just some bad luck at the end

Double Cross: Nice music. History was made with this win, even if it was pretty easy if you knew scooters are cheap.  :-)

Cliff Hangers: That little coffeemaker for $55 bucks, no way

That's Too Much: Why can't they just make the right answer end up in the 5th or 6th spot so everyone is happy?

Showcases: Horrible. Why are there 2 two prize showcases in the same show? Anyway the better of the two was won

Overall, a OK show for a special
Grade: B-

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 03:12:04 PM »
Lineup
1.Pay the Tuition (Rent) L
2.Coming or Going L
3.Dice Game L
4.Double Cross W
5.Cliff Hangers L
6.That's Too Much! L

Double Cross win is the only thing that saved us from an el skunko today.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
The peanut gallery should've never egged Malcolm on for keep on going............He could've at least leave here with $5000 IMHO.
To be frank, I was hoping for him to bail out with the 5K, too. I didn't think the syrup and the flavoring would total more than 8 bucks.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »
Just curious, but doesn't the 40th Anniversary Special tape on Monday the 20th? I'm guessing maybe they'll also have some special stories on their website, because I'd see no other reason why they would need to mention to any former contestants again to go to priceisright.com or call the 855 number to tell about their special stories from the past on the show for their Special.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
For now, feel free to conversate.

Or to converse, since, y'know, that's actually a word. :P

Strangely enough, Pay the Rent is a lot more tolerable when there's no item that was clearly intended to be placed in the mailbox even though it's wrong.  I really had no idea how it was going to play out after the price of the pens was revealed.

Drew's unedited explanation of Double Cross is just as bad as his edited one.  At no point did he mention that which price is highlighted on one line affects which one is highlighted on the other, which is kinda the whole point of the game.  The board's win flash could also use...well, some actual flashing.  I'm sure the firework graphics were intended to look impressive (just like all of the game's other graphics that don't work as well as they're supposed to), but it ended up just feeling like someone had forgotten to turn the blinking on.

-You know what's worse than that blah TTM setup? The damn fakes aren't changing enough.

Since when has this been a problem?  The game has only ever used a rotation of about 40 fakes, and none of them are the prices of anything, anyway.

-You can really see why even Dimich was fired - the editing was also really bad. Bids in row being heard did not match up with the row flashing up a couple times, and a lot of similarly detached lines everywhere.

Dimich does not do the editing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.