Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 8/17/2012 (2012 Back to School Special)  (Read 29930 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 8/17/2012 (2012 Back to School Special)
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
Pay The Rent:  I like this game.  It SHOULD be tough for a $100k payoff.

There is a not-very-fine line between "tough" and "deliberately designed to be played wrong and always lost."

(As I said, not an issue on this particular episode...but seriously, there is no logic to that argument once you actually examine the game.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
Is it me or did Drew say something during the Double Cross description that got silenced out?  You hear a pause and then when Drew continues the description there is some laughter in the crowd.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
Drew's unedited explanation of Double Cross is just as bad as his edited one.  At no point did he mention that which price is highlighted on one line affects which one is highlighted on the other, which is kinda the whole point of the game.  The board's win flash could also use...well, some actual flashing.  I'm sure the firework graphics were intended to look impressive (just like all of the game's other graphics that don't work as well as they're supposed to), but it ended up just feeling like someone had forgotten to turn the blinking on.

Without having seen this episode to judge for myself Drew's explanation, it seems to me that Double Cross is rather difficult to explain. I know I would have trouble consistently and accurately explaining the game the same way every time.

So, without further ado, how would you – or perhaps the greats, like Bob, Tom or Dennis – attempt to explain what is actually a simple game?

Brian

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »
Without having seen this episode to judge for myself Drew's explanation, it seems to me that Double Cross is rather difficult to explain. I know I would have trouble consistently and accurately explaining the game the same way every time.

I don't know off-hand, but I'd make damn sure to mention that the price you have selected for one prize affects which price you've selected for the other, which is pretty much the point of the game and something Drew has failed to bring up on either playing.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
I don't know off-hand, but I'd make damn sure to mention that the price you have selected for one prize affects which price you've selected for the other, which is pretty much the point of the game and something Drew has failed to bring up on either playing.

Well, that turns into common sense/something the contestant understands when they actually play the game, it doesn't help/hurt their chances of winning at all.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »
The first lady in June was sure lost, though. Even if it's an obvious facet of the game once played, it should be mentioned every time.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
So, without further ado, how would you – or perhaps the greats, like Bob, Tom or Dennis – attempt to explain what is actually a simple game?

"Slide your hand along the touchscreen to change the price of the scooter [host shows the motion to demonstrate].  Notice that as you change the price of the scooter, the price of the 3-D TV also changes.  Select the correct price for both prizes to win them both!"

(Side note: I don't like that this game uses a touchscreen--I think it would be much better off with Make Your Move like sliders except that they'd be connected to each other.  Touchscreens are just too finicky for something like this.)

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
If you add more mechanics to it (maybe a gear/crank), then it works.