Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)  (Read 49187 times)

Offline palmer7

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »
Right. Paul played his original game today. I saw the "40 Years" logo today.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
You know something – it's always great to see what ever became of the contestants and how they're doing now. It was great to see the two contestants from the 1970s – Paul and Pamela, and learn about the heartwarming stories of other contestants who made something of themselves after their appearance on the show.

Despite whatever failings this show had – it's a great "where are they now" piece ... and I'm glad TPiR did this show.

And quite frankly – I'm glad there was no Yolanda (or "Wheel of Fortune" Terri) for that matter. If one or both of them are dead, they can stay that way. I wouldn't have minded a Vanna White cameo, however ... that would have been nice.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:27:09 PM by Briguy »

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
Ooch, of all the times for something bad to go down, it had to be today. There was a shooting in Contra Costra County during Plinko, and the 2nd SCS was shrunken down to a small portion of the screen so that the newscopter feed of the area was shown...

My prayers go out to the officer who was injured in the shooting.

(KPIX San Francisco)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:44:30 PM by AussieEvil »
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
As Torgo put it in chat, "yes, we're having a lot of fun celebrating the past, but we also have a future".

That'll be a nickel.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
And quite frankly – I'm glad there was no Yolanda (or "Wheel of Fortune" Terri) for that matter. If one or both of them are dead, they can stay that way. I wouldn't have minded a Vanna White cameo, however ... that would have been nice.

A)  Get the mrrp over yourself.  You've been warned about this in prior threads.

B)  What else are they going to do, become zombies?
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »
Showcases: I knew both on-stage bids were garfs, but I wasn't expecting the Beetle Showcase to be worth more than the Mustang GT one.
OK since I'm not sure, what's a GARF?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
You know, it's been so long since I've done this, I'm not even sure what to say anymore.  I knew for daytime we shouldn't expect too much in the name of clips due to ever-increasing time constraints, but the only reason I watched this was because I thought we might get some cool clips from Pamela's original appearance.  With the number of mentions the Cullen version has received in the last five years, you think they could have mentioned Pamela appeared on a Price Is Right hosted by someone other than Bob.  Just would have been kind of nice.

If Mikey really wants to befriend us, getting us clips of stuff unseen in decades would be a good start, but that's another conversation for another time.

Speaking of Mikey, again his lack of understanding how to budget appropriately really hurt today.  You would have thought a show full of winners would be appropriate for a celebration show.  Grand Game was more difficult than it should have been.  Double Prices could have been less of a crapshoot.  I'll give credit to Double Cross.  Unless the first setup can be correct (which it shouldn't be, but I wouldn't throw it past them), it was pretty hard to lose.

Oh, and Double Cross was a bad pick for today.  Clock Game would have been much more appropriate.

I wonder how many people were left wondering what that "first item up for bids on The New Price Is Right" was.  It's not like Bob's on their good side or will ever be won over.  It wouldn't have killed them to show the fur coat.

On the other hand, seeing Paul play Bonus Game a second time was a treat.  I wonder how he answered Drew's question about what game he played the first time.  Sure, "Bonus Game" was staring before him, but they weren't using names his first time around.  I suppose it is possible he just knew, in which case, he's certainly a most loyal friend and true.

The Showcases were a big disappointment.  Honestly, to write a coherent pair of Showcases recognizing "anniversaries" and "the 40th anniversary of the premiere of The Price Is Right" shouldn't have been that hard; but I can't comment on what caliber there is for writing Showcases nowadays.  I won't get started on the "trip around LA."

Other than that, having an audience filled with former contestants being contestants again didn't really do anything for me.  Granted, I'd guess (and I hadn't seen a show in three years before today) we had better contestants than your usual show since these all passed the much higher bar contestants needed to pass to be on the show.  Every contestant was engaging and involved instead of aloof and inattentive, but I don't see anything gained by having deviated from the typical "large-budget show filled with classic clips" formula that's served anniversary shows for decades.

In fact, what would have been really cool would have been a half hour show 25th-Anniversary-Special-style, but watching Drew today reminded me of how he just can't do what Bob could do:  carry the show.  Drew still seems to be at a loss for words in places he really should know what to say by now.  I'm referring to the simple things, like what you say after a contestant makes their pick in the Grand Game or Any Number, not just repeating what the contestant said in the same tone or saying nothing until the reveal is complete.  Bob could converse.  Drew can't or is unwilling, and they've tried to fill the void by miking contestants, having the models speak and have George play off stuff the contestant said, but none of it has a natural feel.  The show seems way to structured now.  They seem to have their responses planned before the contestant even say anything, and it doesn't come across as real.

And speaking of George, this is the first time I've seen him on the show; and I can't find any nice words to say about him other than he doesn't sound like Daniel Rosen.  Why he feels the need to punctuate every insignificant word in a piece of copy is beyond me.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »
Great win on Bonus Game & nice win on Double Cross.

Pretty good but it could've been better, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:55 PM »
OK since I'm not sure, what's a GARF?

GARF is a term used in CSS referring to somebody missing their showcase by over $5000. If they miss it by over $10,000, it's considered a Garf Of The Century.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
GARF is a term used in CSS referring to somebody missing their showcase by over $5000. If they miss it by over $10,000, it's considered a Garf Of The Century.
Ouch... that would be quite embarrassing to do on the actual show I bet... even worse would be a Double Overbid with both players getting a Garf of the Century

Offline cool245flashmail

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »

I wonder how many people were left wondering what that "first item up for bids on The New Price Is Right" was.  It's not like Bob's on their good side or will ever be won over.  It wouldn't have killed them to show the fur coat.

CBS This Morning had a piece on the Price is Right's anniversary this morning (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7420428n&tag=mncol;lst;1) and they actually showed Bob introducing the fur coat.

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
I think The Early Show (CBS This Morning's predecessor) in 2006 showed the fur coat footage to commemorate the 35th Season premiere. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:21:38 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
I did have the morning off so I watched in light of the 40th Anniversary... my opinions are pretty much covered by everyone else except I have one thing to say:

Today was SO enjoyable to watch, seeing the former INTELLIGENT contestants getting advice from an INTELLIGENT audience. That made a humongous difference to the pacing, gameplay, and watchability of the show today.

Offline little star

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

Great show overall. My thoughts:

I'm glad Pamela got caught in that evil Grand Game Trap.  She acted way too immature and "hammy" in my opinion.  Flame away.  I saw her original appearance on the show and she acted "much more mature and refined back then".  Too bad that changed.

I'm willing to beat a months salary that the powers that be at studio 33 had Bonus Game locked and loaded..e.g. ready to go for the moment Paul made his way onto stage.  Paul you are The Vice-President of TPIR Hall of Fame!! I have Johnny Olson as The President.   God's speed to you my fellow TPIR Alum.

Any # was hard luck.

Double Prices was obvious but the contestant gets a "hall pass" here.  Her life story brought me to tears.  Literally.

You cant go wrong with a $10k win in Plinko.

Pierre lost my respect and well wishes when he $1ered Paul and he wasn't even the last bidder in the sequence.

Double Cross still has not "warmed" on me yet.

It would have been awesome if the 1st ever showcases included trips that they show could "re-offer" again.

The only "down-side" to today was that contestants from The Drew Era could not be involved due to eligibility requirements.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
What was the cue that was used for the Beetle in the 1st showcase. I want to use it as a ringtone.