Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)  (Read 48915 times)

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
That's the just-retired consolation prize cue.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Recap is posted. This is what I get for thinking HK would be on at 9 tonight.

I am aware of the off-centered numbers in Double Cross. This is a template in new design, and I am using this playing as an excuse to give it a shot. Next time you see said template, the numbers will be accurately placed.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
Is it me or did they changed the podium for the small prizes in Bonus Game drastically?

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
The only "down-side" to today was that contestants from The Drew Era could not be involved due to eligibility requirements.

I thought one of today's contestants had been on less than ten years earlier. They could probably waive the requirements for a special ep. like this one.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
Looking at the uncut version of the opening on pir.com... my God did they edit so much out. I think they overextended themselves - otherwise, you don't edit out 3/4 "stand ups" in the opening like that, which should be untouched. I think this special could have approached a primetime timing between all the clips apparently aired in full according to MrZone and all this other stuff.

Is it me or did they changed the podium for the small prizes in Bonus Game drastically?
This happened late last/this season.

EDIT: Even worse, the SC reveal is over at 39:30 / 40:28 of the video online, and the "full" credits do not much past what was shown on-air, believe it or not. Wow, a lot more mangling than I thought!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:59:58 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Adam, Gwen was not on today, it was Manuela.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Adam, Gwen was not on today, it was Manuela.

Yeah, that's my fault. I kept looking trying to distinguish the two, I kept seeing Gwendolyn.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
It was massively cool that they opened the show with the opening from 0011D.

I think the game selection today was pretty good -- the newest game, the three games from the first show, Plinko, and another casher that really let them spotlight the 40.

Raising Grand Game's prize to $40,000 for this one episode really doesn't bother me.

I'd swear I have Dazettia's first episode somewhere.

Paul getting to play Bonus Game again was fantastic.  I'm sure that's what Mike wanted to happen, but there was certainly no way he could have guaranteed it.

Today's restored car worked.  If there was ever a time you were going to give away a car from 1972, this was it.

Did they change some of the colors in Double Cross?  I had a much easier time today telling what was and wasn't highlighted.

The new Big Doors look okay.  Their new logo does not.  Put simply, it's dinky.

That's the just-retired consolation prize cue.

It most certainly was not.  It's a "primetime" version of the Carey theme.

And quite frankly – I'm glad there was no Yolanda (or "Wheel of Fortune" Terri) for that matter. If one or both of them are dead, they can stay that way.

Holy crap are you a dick.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
Wish I could have been on, but, it's only been 5 years.
Mark my words, I will be back in 5 years (or longer).... and I will win :)

Phil

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Aired – September 4, 2012; Tape Date – August 20, 2012
OOPS - Uliana's shirt had "Monday, August 20, 2012" on it.

Pamela, known for winning an airplane in the Showcase in 1976 on the Dennis James version when she wanted a car
They also threw in flying lessons, IIRC - and those can be expensive.

When was the last time the daytime version gave away a (non-microlight) plane?  The most recent one I remember was in an early-1980s Christmas Eve showcase, but then again, I live somewhere where TPIR wasn't on between something like 1984 and 1991.
I was going to ask if they were ever going to give another one way - then I went to the Piper website and saw that the cheapest plane they sell today (and it's a single-engine prop) goes for over $300,000!  That's over ten times the price 30 years ago.

I'm surprised they played both Bonus Game and Plinko - usually they don't play two games with four (or more) two/three-digit prizes.

But why no Grocery Game?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
The opening today beginning with the start of the first episode was really fun to see.  The squares on the new doors look nice, but the logo is way too small. 

I liked that they had former contestants come back on, even if it blocked out any first timers.  Tomorrow is another day for first timers of course, and the contestants today were a lot better than most of the regular contestants today.

Grand Game for $40,000 was pretty neat.  After the 40 count bandaids I was thinking all of the products would have 40 somewhere in them whether it be the item count, ounces, part of name, whatever, but the bandaids were the only thing.

Dazietta's story was absolutely amazing.  Game shows have been able to change the lives of many contestants by allowing them to afford something or have something they never dreamed was possible or buy/give something to someone they love, but this one had to be the most heartwarming. 

The showcases were pretty disappointing.  A trip to Los Angeles is just bizarre and the 2nd showcase really should've had some sort of luxury car.  I think a Corvette would've been most fitting since that seems to be the go to luxury car of the show in its history.  And I thought Google's birthday was September 27 (same as mine)?

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »
I was afraid that this was another screw-job on Mike's expense, but so far it wasn't too bad of a 40th anniversary show.

BTW, I'm sure some people might start to make Mike Richards voodoo dolls at some point, seeing that Bob wasn't on the special, but Bob was cool with it:

news.yahoo.com/barker-fine-exclusion-price-special-222705427.html

Now, with that out of the way:

THE BAD NEWS:

Grand Game: So I see what Mike did here: Since it was the 40th anniversary, he decided to make the game a little special by having Pamela win $40,000, with the target price of $4.00.............Clever.  :roll: And Drew gave her the Mop N Glow, the one thing she didn't pick that could have helped her win the game. Adding salt to the wound much, Drew?

Double Prices: It was obvious for me to know that the Rome trip was $12K+ and not $14K+. Tough break for Dazettia.

THE NOT-SO-BAD NEWS:

Any Number: Uliana may have won a car on Dice Game back in '02, but unfortunately she wasn't that lucky today. I guess some appliances are better than nothing.

Plinko: I was a little scared that we might have another Plinko Stinko again, but Kathleen really did came from behind for winning $11K!

THE GOOD NEWS:

Bonus Game: I really did liked Paul! He perfected that same game back in '72 and he still hasn't lost his touch 40 years later when he won that Monte Carlo! It was nice to know that he was the exact opposite of this:
3:10 to 5:50

Double Cross: Larry still remains energetic and did good on the newest game! I think he was a little stunned when he found out he was going to the Showcase, which he won his own!

Aside from no Bob, a pretty good tribute! Now we wait for Season 41........................

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
I am aware of the off-centered numbers in Double Cross. This is a template in new design, and I am using this playing as an excuse to give it a shot. Next time you see said template, the numbers will be accurately placed.
I just wanted to say that the new template looks great!  I wouldn't have even noticed the off-centered numbers had you not mentioned it.  Still, it's much easier to read than the old table-based template.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 12:05:08 AM »
I must say, the shows overall this season were much better compared to last seasons, although I don't know if that's just a side effect from the "40th Anniversary-type" season.  Today's show fits into that category as much better.

The opening on priceisright.com shows the unedited version, and appears to contain the Season 41 opening.  I must say, it looks very nice!  The logo on the Big Doors looks way too small now, though.  It's too bad they re-edited it to remove the "Stand up!" reference from the other three "first four" constestants.

Poor Paul, he just cannot escape the power of Bonus Game. :lol:  Paul is either a loyal friend & true, a genius, or both.  He just makes Bonus Game look so easy, and the fact that he aces it again does not surprise me.  It's just too bad he couldn't have gotten $1 so he could've gotten another $4 showcase difference. ;-)  Although Drew quickly corrected himself, I don't know why he asked Paul what he spun on the wheel the first time.  At least he got it right, in that the wheel didn't premiere until 1975.

I was actually shocked at Dazettia's story.  Just goes to show you that Price is Right can make dreams come true. :-)  Speaking of her, a clip of her on her 1st show got uploaded to priceisright.com.  I find the clip a bit ironic: Mike went out of his way to stop the Plinko sign from coming back, yet the clip of her online contains the full turntable reveal of the Plinko sign.  She was only one game away from playing Plinko again.

Speaking of the lineup, with the exception of Uliana and Pamela (which we don't know which game she played), the other 4 contestant's original games were in the lineup.  Would have been amazing if each one got to play their original game like Paul did.

*gasp* Did the 2nd showcase actually contain a theme?  When was the last time that happened?
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
Excellent show. Really fun and much better than I expected. The lack in clips was made up for by the returning contestants. Grand Game could've been a bit nicer and the showcases shouldn't have been so deceptively loaded, but this was a nice show.
**I am extremely disappointed that ClockGameJohn was not invited. :lol:

Thought I would say Hi! to everyone here and had to chime in... it's been a long time.

Ditto about CGJ.  I bet if they mailed me an invite, I would not have gotten it because I moved and am past the auto-forwarding period, and I still have 3 more years before I regain eligibility again.  I saw the advertisement for today's show and got REALLY excited.  Wonderful to see Paul again and how that all played out perfectly for him!  Such nostalgia with the contestants.  Hope this season has kicked off to a great start.  Looking forward to seeing new episodes.