Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)  (Read 48914 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
The Price is Right Recap - April 23, 2012

Episode #6023K (TPiR 40th Anniversary Special)
Aired – September 4, 2012; Tape Date – August 20, 2012
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Amber Lancaster
Drew's Choice of Entrance: Door #2
Microphone Handoff: Amber
First Four Contestant Seating: Mixed

Notes: The opening started with the September 4, 1972 calldowns then switched to the episode. Paul's call-down was done as Stand Up and Come on Down! in reference to his September 4, 1972 calldown.

First IUFB: Pair of iPads (3rd generation 16 GB iPads with wifi, 5 megapixel camera, up to 10 hours of battery life; ARP: $1076) (Amber and Manuela)

PAUL PIERRE KATHLEEN PAMELA WINNER
$400 $1050 $750 $1051 PAMELA

Pamela, known for winning an airplane in the Showcase in 1976 on the Dennis James version when she wanted a car, is playing Grand Game for $10,000 $40,000!  The target price is $4.00.

Band-Aid Bandages (40 ct) Kraft Cheez Wiz Cheese Dip (15 oz) Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil (75 sqft) Kikkoman Soy Sauce (10 oz) Mop & Glo Floor cleaner (16 oz) Rice-a-Roni Rice Mix-Chicken (6.9 oz)
$2.69 $4.99 $ $2.19 $ $1.59
$4000.00 LOSS   $400.00   $40.00

Second IUFB: Scooter (BMS Pollazo 150 Scooter; automatic transmission, electric start and front disc brakes ARP: $1,988) (Amber)

Paul Pierre Kathleen ULIANA WINNER
$2000 $1599 $2001 $1901 ULIANA

Uliana, who won a car on Dice Game in 2002 (and in 2004 got into a car accident), is playing Any Number for six new Hamilton Beach kitchen appliances and a 2012 RAM 1500ST 4x2 Regular Cab (3.7L V6 engine, 4-speed AT, spray-in bedliner, paint/fabric protection, class-4 trailer reciever hitch) (Manuela)

Numbers chosen: 3, 7, 5, 0, 1, 2, 4, 9

RAM 1500ST 2 3 7 2
Appliances LOSS 5 9 0
T.D.P.B. 4. 1

Truck ARP: $23,762
Pig ARP: $4.81

Third IUFB: Washer/Dryer (All-in-One LG with 9 wash programs, 5 rinse temperatures ARP: $1475) (Amber)

Paul Pierre Kathleen DAZETTIA WINNER
$950 $1600 $1151 $1195 DAZETTIA

Dazettia, a former contestant who was homeless at the time her episode was tape and got a ticket from a person on the lot of Television City, won $13,000 on Plinko, spun a dollar on the Big Wheel and won her showcase (a Buick, a pool table, Double Prices for Trip to Rome (RT Coach to Rome for a 6n stay at Hotel Atlante Star (with view of the Vatican) plus private hot air balloon ride over the city)

$14,308
ARP: $12,769
LOSS
$12,769

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Pamela $1,076 60 95 OVER
Dazettia $1,475 60 5 65
Uliana $1,988 10 85 95 *SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Pair of Handheld Video Games (2 Nintendo 3DS consoles, 2 roadtrip packages, 2 starter kits, 2 cases, 5 games ARP: $820) (Manuela)

Paul Pierre Kathleen LARRY WINNER
$750 $751 $752 $625 KATHLEEN

Kathleen, a contestant in 1984 who won $10,000 on Grand Game and jumped on Bob Barker's back, is playing Plinko!

ITEM DISPLAY DIGIT CHOSEN ARP CHIP VALUE
Hairdryer 75 5 $35 $0
Electric popcorn maker 30 0 $60 $10,000
Steam iron 50 5 $20 WRONG
Salad spinner 34 4 $32 WRONG
FREE CHIP VALUE: $1,000
TOTAL WON: $11,095
TECH LOSS

Fifth IUFB: BBQ Grill (7 burner BBQ cart; Bull Outdoor Products; ARP: $2800) (Amber)

Paul Pierre DUSTIE Larry WINNER
$2000 $1750 $1600 $1925 PAUL

Paul, who was the second contestant called on down on September 4, 1972, perfected Bonus Game on its first playing, won the first showcase by $4, and out of total coincidence, is playing Bonus Game for a 1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (2-door hardtop, V8 engine, AC, auto transmission; ARP:$16,995) (Manuela)

ITEM DISPLAY CHOICE ARP BONUS?
2GB iPod Shuffle $33 HIGHER $49
HIGHER
NO
Clapper Light Switch $24 LOWER $18
LOWER
NO
Forunte Cookie Maker $58 LOWER $30
LOWER
BONUS
*WIN*
Retro Espresso Maker $89 HIGHER $100
HIGHER
NO

Total won: *$17,192*

Pierre hasn't done much wrong, besides one upping Paul earlier. If he doesn't get this next item up for bid, she's being sent to Barberton, Ohio for a lesson in how to bid.

Sixth IUFB: Pair of Digital Cameras (12.1 MP, 5x Optical Zoom, 3in LCD Screens; ARP: $858) (Manuela)

FRANCES Pierre Dustie Larry WINNER
$400 $800 $850 $852 LARRY

Pierre waits for the limo to Barberton, while Larry, who was on the show with Bob and Road, bowing to Bob while on stage and is playing Double Cross for a 64in 3D Smart TV (Wifi, Gesture control, Facial recognition with 3D glasses) and Beachcomber Hot Tub (5 adult seating with lighting) (Amber and Manuela)

3D HDTV

3D HDTV
HOT TUB

HOT TUB

Larry sets the screens to:

3D HDTV

3D HDTV
HOT TUB

HOT TUB

WIN
ARP's: $3,949 and $4,295

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Larry $9,102 95 STAY 95 *SHOWCASE*
Kathleen $11,915 65 20 85
Paul $19,992 60 20 80

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES
Larry has the option to bid or pass.

SC1 - ULIANA SOME OF THE BEST HAWAII/CAR
BID: $29,900 Ruby jewelry (18 karat, white gold chain, earrings (0.70 in diamonds, 1.24k in rubies) (Manuela)
Trip to Hawaii (RT Coach to Honolulu for 6nn stay at PARC Moshica (superior room), picked up in Bentley for a yacht trip) (Manuela)
2012 Volkswagen Beetle (AT, 2.5L engine, cruise control, heated seats, first-aid kit, mat kit) (Amber)
ARP: $46,638
DIFF: $16,738
LOSS$1,988
SC2 - LARRY SHARE OUR ANNIVERSARY SPORTSCAR
BID: $33,000 Trip to LA (RT Limo to LA for an exploration of LA Live) (Amber)
$2,000 in cash (Amber)
Desktop computer (iMac desktop, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Photo Printer) (Amber)
2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe (5L engine, AT, 19inch machined aluminum wheels, all-weather floor mats) (Manuela)
ARP: $42,319
DIFF: $9,319
*WIN*$51,421

Show Results: 2 out of 6 (Plinko center spot hit)
Total Winnings: $87,867

THIS RECAP IS PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY ROADGEEK ADAM
TEMPLATES BY KITCH, (RECAPPER 2010-12)

EDIT: Please, keep the no Bob stuff to a minimum. There is another thread for this that was posted in The Talk is Right.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:27:18 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Allow me to say: Paul Levine is officially Mr. Bonus Game.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
Was glad that Paul got to play Bonus Game again.

The only thing I was curious about is apparently it looked like they had a slightly different (and more interesting, in my opinion) intro (which is below posted by priceisright YouTube channel) that was different than the one that made it to air, namely some added graphics at the end of the intro:

And, for once, I was happy to see such short ending credits (barely even ten seconds), because that hopefully meant that they pushed the show's time slot to the limits with clips and other good stuff.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:59:41 PM »
A good show. I liked the opening and seeing Paul get up on stage and win his game.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Grand: This definitely should've not been the opener when it wasn't all that winnable, IMHO; it should've been played last.

AN: The same PG order from the first show should've made up the first half, IMO. I was kinda surprised Uliana fell short on one of the middle numbers in the truck price instead of the 3 or the other 2.

Double Prices: Should've been won, but wasn't.

Pl!nko: I would've also had this played fourth. Kathleen now has won $21K in cash in her two appearances on this show!

Bonus: I wasn't expecting this to be the other car game of the day, nor Paul sweeping this!

Double Cross: Fairly easy.

Showcases: I knew both on-stage bids were garfs, but I wasn't expecting the Beetle Showcase to be worth more than the Mustang GT one.

Decent episode today.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »
Excellent show. Really fun and much better than I expected. The lack in clips was made up for by the returning contestants. Grand Game could've been a bit nicer and the showcases shouldn't have been so deceptively loaded, but this was a nice show.

Speaking of Grand Game, a raise in the payout! That was cool to see since we haven't had a MDS in 4 years.

Dazettia's story was absolutely fascinating. She was just given a ticket and look what happened! That's amazing.

What can you say about Paul. Not only was he called down again, but after a tough time bidding, he got to play the same game he played 40 years ago. And to boot he won it the same way with a perfecta! Amazing! That was definitely a great segment. Also, the bonus was in the same window as the first playing. And on top of that, there was a full shot of the new SP display!

Larry was something else. I think he might have been the most cumbersome contestant Drew has had to deal with. He was all over the place in his original appearance because Bob was old. Since Drew is young he was all over him! Glad to see another good Double Cross set up and win. I guess they're trying out different think cues. I liked the think music they used on the Back to School special better than what they used here, so hopefully they go with that.

Also, gone are the spotlights and sweeping intro to Double Cross! Yay! I can see!

A trip to LA? Really? On the anniversary show? Whatever you say Mike, whatever you say. Like I said, the showcases were deceptively expensive. I know Mike's heart was in the right place (no one wants a DOB on a special like this), but it came off weird.

*Oh yeah, I forgot to add that it was cool seeing Paul and Pamela spin the big wheel for the first time.

**I am extremely disappointed that ClockGameJohn was not invited. :lol:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:18:06 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
Recap:
1.Grand Game L
2.Any Number L
3.Double Prices L
4.Plinko L
5.Bonus Game W
6.Double Cross W
A nice show for our 40th anniversary special.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »
Another thing about the video posted above: George's first four announcing was edited so that only Paul was called to "stand up and come on down". The rest were just "come on down".

But yes, I was thinking the same thing: Paul Levine is the Bonus Game master. And I can comfortably say he's the first contestant in history to win the same game twice, and the first to perfecto twice on the same game.

Grand Game for $40,000 was awesome. It's a shame the Cheez Whiz claimed another victim.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:32:23 PM by TPIRighteous »

Offline allnewtpir

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:43:12 PM »
Was glad that Paul got to play Bonus Game again.

The only thing I was curious about is apparently it looked like they had a slightly different (and more interesting, in my opinion) intro (which is below posted by priceisright YouTube channel) that was different than the one that made it to air, namely some added graphics at the end of the intro:

I think those graphics are the new intro graphics for Season 41.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
Recap won't be up till 6 or 7 tonight. Definitely before Hell's Kitchen tonight.

Yes, can't let you miss that!

EDIT: Please, keep the no Bob stuff to a minimum. There is another thread for this that was posted in The Talk is Right.

Who said anything lengthy that would qualify as "no Bob stuff" at a maximum?

Anyways, just caught up on my DVR and turned out this episode was great! The lineup was pretty good and the results turned out pretty darn good too! (Come on, no way Grand was going to be won there, Any # is always a toss, and Double Prices was just a poor choice)

I'll be even more excited to see what's in store for a 50th Anniversary :D (;))
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
This was overall good. All of the contestants were fun, there were a lot of clips even if a couple were only video, the lineup worked, and Paul Levine accomplished something not likely to happen again, exacta'ing a game twice (it should be noted Mike gave away a car for once in Bonus).

I might have called this show great if the first half went any better. A# and DP are what they are, but neither of those were particularly nice. The hardest game being first is unacceptable on a special - I know Grand here was quadrupled, but just screw it and give her a straight path! Instead not only ye olde Cheez Whiz showed up, but that damn wax paper also. And at the same time, average-looking SCs (even a little less - a complete failure on SC2, that is simply not a trip) have a really high Mustang trim and really high jewelry. Mike needs to stop exclusively caring how the show ENDS and spread the budget elsewhere.

At the same time though, the 2nd half was certainly set up for a perfect half for non-purists, including a Roger-esque Plinko that she goofed up yet still won. Just not the best balance in the world there.

Editing was also an issue - a ton of cuts and audio things, often felt too quiet. With so many clips I do sympathize some, and Drew was pretty good today.

One thing I'm glad was cut (according to MrZone) was 420 guy clip. That was plain unneeded and disingenuous to the show's spirit. Sadly the only reason was probably for time, like the shortest on-air credits ever. Looking forward to viewing those in full tonight.

EDIT: Another Cross cue? I didn't notice. I think the quick intro of the game was a product I'd editing though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:50:14 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
It was awesome to see the show open with a clip from the first episode in 1972.  I know that the show is broadcast in 16:9 HD, but couldn't there have been a better way to play the 1972 clip without putting a TV border around it?

The new doors look pretty good with their silver trim, but the logo on them looks too dinky, in my opinion.

Grand Game was a surprise, with a $40,000 prize for the occasion.  I do wonder if we'll see the game's prize increased to $20,000 this coming season.

It was awesome to hear George say "Paul Levine, stand up and come on down!"  Combining the original spiel and what Johnny Olson developed into the catchphrase of the show was awesome.  Although I do wonder if Paul didn't come up on stage, would they still have played Bonus Game?  I wonder if the staff was waiting for him to come on up so they could bring out Bonus Game and the 1972 Monte Carlo.  Either way, it was awesome to see him play Bonus Game perfectly and win another car (albeit one as old as the Mazda sedan he won back in 1972).  Also, I had to chuckle when Drew asked Paul if he spun the wheel and Paul replied with "There was no wheel!"

Larry is the definition of redemption on The Price is Right.  He won a stemware collection worth $736 in Any Number on his first appearance in 1999, but he lost the showcase showdown.  Today, he won Double Cross, the showcase showdown, and the showcase, including a new car to make up for the truck he didn't win 13 years ago.  Also, he played the first pricing game to debut on his previous appearance and played the most recent pricing game to debut today.

Also, it looks like Double Cross now has a blue background for the numbers and the highlighters themselves are yellow and green.  This makes it easier to tell what prices the contestant selects.  It could use a different think music, though.

I know a V8 Mustang is expensive, but it would have been very appropriate for this show to offer a nice Lincoln, Cadillac, or other high-end car in the showcase.

Was today the first time since 2003 we heard Rod's voice on the show?  On Bob's 50 Years in Television special in 2007, Rich's voice was dubbed over Johnny and Rod's "Come on down!" as contestants fell down (or when Yolanda had her wardrobe malfunction).  I hope that in the future, when the show does retrospective clips, we hear more of Rod's voice.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:57:11 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Wow! Overall, I have to say I felt they did a good job. As pressed for time as they are these days, they certainly fit a fair number of classic clips in - the opening was particularly cool, and it was nice to see clips of what contestants did the first time they were on the show. As great as Paul's feat was, it's amusing that we had not just him, but FOUR contestants who played a game in their first appearance that also was on the show today (out of a possible five, because obviously Cross wasn't happening :) ) I wonder if having the potential for a repeat game perhaps increased your chances of getting called. Still, I certainly enjoyed the array of contestants we got today. I'm glad that we got one particularly famous one, and a bunch of others who clearly had cool stories. Nice to see stories win out, if only for a day.

I agree that the Grand setup really did not belong on this type of show. Yes, I know the prize was quadrupled, but find some other way to celebrate "40" instead if you want to do it that way. And they seemed perfectly willing to give away a 35k Mustang at the end of the show anyway - I don't understand how logic works sometimes. Still, the setups were mostly pretty good and gave us a fair chance of walking away with a decent show. Bonus in particular was perfect - it was going to be a near auto-win with the easy SP that was picked for the bonus window, but it was nice to have a couple harder SPs in there for "suspense" - if of course Paul hadn't nailed them! Paul going 8/8 in two Bonus Game appearances is definitely one of the coolest, rarest thing you'll see - excited that that got a chance to happen. Also, if they HAD to offer a restored car, it was a nice touch to have it be a 1972 car. In general, this was just a very cool program to watch - it's amazing what happens when you let the contestants be the stars.

Oh, and they got rid of the only really bad thing about Double Cross - yay! (those blinding lights). I do like the cue that got used on the Back to School much better though - today's was barely there. Still, good to see they saw those lights were a problem. I also appreciated DC's inclusion as the 6th game in the lineup. As Torgo put it in chat, "yes, we're having a lot of fun celebrating the past, but we also have a future". Any, Bonus and DP were of course necessary inclusions as well.

One interesting feature of a show like this is that you get to look ahead a bit. I did like the new door design. I also wonder if George announcing the priceless giveaway is going to be permanent from now on. Drew never did all that great a job with it, so they might have decided to just delegate that to George. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

Timings:
Grand Game (5) - 4:34
Any Number (5) - 5:06
Double Prices (3) - 3:32
Plinko (5.5) - 4:40
Bonus Game (5) - 4:19
Double Cross (4) - 3:41
Total (27.5): 25:52

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
It was awesome to hear George say "Paul Levine, stand up and come on down!"  Combining the original spiel and what Johnny Olson developed into the catchphrase of the show was awesome.  Although I do wonder if Paul didn't come up on stage, would they still have played Bonus Game?  I wonder if the staff was waiting for him to come on up so they could bring out Bonus Game and the 1972 Monte Carlo.  Either way, it was awesome to see him play Bonus Game perfectly and win another car (albeit one as old as the Mazda sedan he won back in 1972).
They couldn't do that. I'm sure they were planning to play Bonus Game 5th no matter when Paul got onstage. There were three other contestants who made it onstage who also had the opportunity to re-play their original game, but did not. Dazettia (Plinko then, Double Prices now), Kathleen (Grand Game then, Plinko now) and Larry* (Any Number then, Double Cross now). They were going to let the show play out as it played out and by the grace of coincidence, Paul made it up there at the right time.

I forgot to mention, I like the new light border. It's a lot better without the frame.

And here is the new well not all that new SP podium.

*You're right GRF. Thanks for the catch.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:14:45 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
I think you meant to say Larry was the one who played Any Number before, and Double Cross today.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."