Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)  (Read 48912 times)

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/4/2012 (TPiR 40 Years Special)
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Larry is probably the only contestant who played the oldest game on the show on his first appearance, and the newest game on the show at the time of his second appearance. I just thought that was interesting.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 01:51:11 AM »
I honestly think one of the coolest parts of this show was when they showed the Dennis James clip that featured Anitra in the airplane!!! Now if Holly had been the one in the airplane, would that have made it to air? Just a thought. It was nice to see Anitra as one of the past cast members highlighted throughout the show (even if it isn't in name).

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to know the answer to this. We saw Bob, Dennis and Anitra. We heard Johnny and Rod.

Was Janice shown at any point?

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
I'm surprised nobody seems disappointed that there was no Golden Road.  You would think a show like this would beg for a playing of it, since its one of the most iconic pricing games.  And it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to fit in really.  Just take the two prizes played for in Double Cross and make them the Bonus Game bonus, then move AN to the second half. 

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
I'm certainly disappointed in no Big 3, but I had a lot of time to accept it... with all the clips they had and the way this was edited to bits anyways, I guess it wasn't meant to be.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
I'm surprised nobody seems disappointed that there was no Golden Road.  You would think a show like this would beg for a playing of it, since its one of the most iconic pricing games.

I was at first, but the good lineup made it seem less important.  Still, though, it's an absolute shame it only got played two times this season.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
I was going to ask if they were ever going to give another one way - then I went to the Piper website and saw that the cheapest plane they sell today (and it's a single-engine prop) goes for over $300,000!  That's over ten times the price 30 years ago.
I managed to find the prices for Cessnas on that company's site, and they do have one (what they call a "starter plane") for $150,000, but still, that explains why they never appear on the show any more.

But why no Grocery Game?
There's a scheduling rule that says there can't be more than one GP game in the same show. They can get away with using two SP games, but not two GP ones.
Perhaps, but is Grand Game so special that they had to play it in place of Grocery Game?  Or did somebody think GG just wasn't a fit for this episode if they couldn't get Janice or Anitra behind the cash register?

My preferred lineup would have been (not necessarily in this order):
Any Number
Bonus Game
Double Prices
Grocery Game
Clock Game (even if it wasn't played in the first week, it's probably the closest they have to the original Bullseye)
Plinko (since it's probably the most popular game, especially if you ask people who aren't real fans of the show - okay, maybe Cliff Hangers)

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 01:11:37 AM »
Yeah, I'm 6 nights late watching this episode for various reasons.  That said, I walked away from the TV with one of the weirdest feelings I've ever had after watching an episode of TPIR.  Why, you ask...?

I certainly remembered Larry's first appearance.

So do I, because I was in the audience the day he appeared as a contestant back in May 1999!  (That was the first taping I ever attended, in fact...) What are the odds?  I have better odds (statistically, at least) of becoming a contestant myself than I do of being in the audience with someone who gets called up to be on an anniversary show.  That's always the way, isn't it?!

...Larry still remains energetic and did good on the newest game!

Double Cross: Larry is still fun to watch after his "You're Bob, I'm Larry" moment from back in '99.

Larry is the definition of redemption on The Price is Right.  He won a stemware collection worth $736 in Any Number on his first appearance in 1999, but he lost the showcase showdown.  Today, he won Double Cross, the showcase showdown, and the showcase, including a new car to make up for the truck he didn't win 13 years ago...

The fact that I was in the audience the day Larry made his first appearance biases me, of course; it never occurred to me that so many other LFaT remember him (though, really, how could you forget him?).  The only hint I would ever have is that I do recall seeing a clip of his 1999 appearance on Access Hollywood or some similar show fairly recently.

Larry also redeemed himself in the Showcase Showdown in another sense, goldroadfanatic; IIRC, he didn't get the Big Wheel all the way around on his first attempt back in 1999 (though I may have to check on that...).

Larry was something else. I think he might have been the most cumbersome contestant Drew has had to deal with. He was all over the place in his original appearance because Bob was old. Since Drew is young he was all over him!

Larry's energy level was no different when we were outside waiting in line before the show when he appeared in 1999.  I remember turning to the person next to me and saying, "He's going to get called to 'Come on Down'; you watch".  Little did I know...

...Also, he played the first pricing game to debut on his previous appearance and played the most recent pricing game to debut today.

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but Larry is probably the only contestant who played the oldest game on the show on his first appearance, and the newest game on the show at the time of his second appearance. I just thought that was interesting.

That occurred to me as well, though goldroadfanatic beat us both to the punch, CROCODILE!

In other news, I enjoyed this special quite a bit.  I'm going to bed now, feeling just a bit weirded out by all that coinky-dink stuff!

JBK

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »
Larry also redeemed himself in the Showcase Showdown in another sense, goldroadfanatic; IIRC, he didn't get the Big Wheel all the way around on his first attempt back in 1999 (though I may have to check on that…).

Per the 5/7/99 episode recap, Larry had a puny first spin, and went over by 20 cents (55 and 65 were his two spins).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:45:28 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline 03F5man

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »
I think I would have had Any # for a $40,000 cadillac instead of grand game playing for $40,000. REALLY happy that PTR did not get playd. But the best moment of the show no doubt was Paul playin bonus game and going 4 another clean sweep

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
I find it odd that Larry was chosen when he lost his PG and the wheel
Season 8 (2011-12) CSS 3rd Place

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
I don't think it's odd at all. The show wasn't a salute to former pricing game winners, but rather a salute to memorable contestants, and Larry definitely fit that description. Contestants can be memorable and loads of fun and not even make it up on stage.