Author Topic: Background Checks  (Read 11020 times)

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Background Checks
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
It's ANY public office... If somebody is running for dog catcher of Delcambre, Louisiana, they can't appear on The Price Is Right.

So, I'd say it's not ridiculous to point that out.

The equal time requirements only apply to candidates for Federal office.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
The equal time requirements only apply to candidates for Federal office.

That's not my understanding of the law. 47 USC § 315, which codifies the equal time rule, states, in part, "If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any public office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station".

Words are given their plain and ordinary meaning. "Any public office" means just that - any public office, not just federal offices.

I could be wrong, but Lar Daly is a great example of a local candidate who used the equal time rule to his advantage.

Also, I recall a big stink about showing Arnold Schwarzenegger movies when he was running for Governor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:16:17 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
It's ANY public office... If somebody is running for dog catcher of Delcambre, Louisiana, they can't appear on The Price Is Right.

So, I'd say it's not ridiculous to point that out.

I never said it was ridiculous to point it out. I meant that it was ridiculous to think that anyone would want to hide that sort of thing just to go on TPiR, if they knew they couldn't, I'm pretty sure 95% wouldn't even try. I'm pretty confident in saying that if people are going to hide something, it's not going to be about them running of dog catcher of Delcambre, Louisiana, it's more likely going to be tax evasion, murder, ect.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:41:28 PM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Rusty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »
"...Name an occupation you would try to hide from the producers of a game show on which you want to be a contestant, because it would make you ineligible!"

"Fugitive con man!" (DING!)

"Child molester!" (DING!)

"Presidential candidate!" (DING!)

How are any of these occupations?  (I could see one of them being a side project... not that one, you sickos.)

Offline little star

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:33 AM »
I can speak from experience about the "background check" on potential TPIR Contestants.  One aspect of my past Stan "verified" via the internet after he interviewed me.  It was nothing criminal, but as we were "checking out"in the room that is about the size of a household  bathroom with a desk in it, he joked that I did indeed belong to the service organization that I mentioned to him during my interview.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:52:45 AM »
If they purged all of those from TV City the building would be nigh empty.

I was about to give you the intarnetz for this until...

He makes the best cookies!

Bravo.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
That's not my understanding of the law. 47 USC § 315, which codifies the equal time rule, states, in part, "If any licensee shall permit any person who is a legally qualified candidate for any public office to use a broadcasting station, he shall afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office in the use of such broadcasting station".

Words are given their plain and ordinary meaning. "Any public office" means just that - any public office, not just federal offices.

I could be wrong, but Lar Daly is a great example of a local candidate who used the equal time rule to his advantage.

Also, I recall a big stink about showing Arnold Schwarzenegger movies when he was running for Governor.

Does cable not qualify for that rule, because they are not broadcast stations?Seems to me third party candidates receive far less media coverage on the news networks.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
That's not my understanding of the law. ... "Any public office" means just that - any public office, not just federal offices.

I remember the issue about Schwarzenegger movies, but he declared his candidacy for Governor of California while he was a guest on The Tonight Show and it was made explicitly clear that Jay Leno didn't have to offer the same opportunity to the other 104 people on the ballot during that recall election. And I thought I remembered that the eligibility statement that Wheel of Fortune had me sign on my tape day said I wasn't a candidate for federal office and wouldn't become one during the current broadcasting season. But you may be entirely correct.

How are any of these occupations?  (I could see one of them being a side project... not that one, you sickos.)

It was a joke.

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
I can speak from experience about the "background check" on potential TPIR Contestants.  One aspect of my past Stan "verified" via the internet after he interviewed me.  It was nothing criminal, but as we were "checking out"in the room that is about the size of a household  bathroom with a desk in it, he joked that I did indeed belong to the service organization that I mentioned to him during my interview.

So do you think they did a quick Google search on you to see if anything came up such as news reports or just anything negative in general?

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
Actually, the "running for office" restriction applies because the producers of the show would have to offer your opponent equal time. Of course, maybe it would be a good idea for candidates to be required to go on Jeopardy! before people made a decision as to whether to vote for them...

I can see it now...

"This is the Jeopardy Presidential Brain Quiz Election Eve Special.  Now entering the studio..."

Cyclone

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
Does cable not qualify for that rule, because they are not broadcast stations?Seems to me third party candidates receive far less media coverage on the news networks.

Unless the cable station is being broadcasted on public airwaves, the equal time rule would not apply.

I remember the issue about Schwarzenegger movies, but he declared his candidacy for Governor of California while he was a guest on The Tonight Show and it was made explicitly clear that Jay Leno didn't have to offer the same opportunity to the other 104 people on the ballot during that recall election. And I thought I remembered that the eligibility statement that Wheel of Fortune had me sign on my tape day said I wasn't a candidate for federal office and wouldn't become one during the current broadcasting season. But you may be entirely correct.

I think Arnold's announcement on The Tonight Show fell under a recognized exception to the rule, if I recall (ha!), in that he was not a candidate until that time and I think they considered The Tonight Show a "bonafide news broadcast," or some nonsense like that.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Some contestants have also slipped through the cracks. A child molester who went on Wheel of Fortune was caught after his show aired when one of his victims saw his appearance and called the authorities.

I know this is a little off topic, but I remember seeing on the E! True Hollywood Story that I think a taping had to come to a halt because someone had become obsessed with Vanna by making uncomfortable comments and was making threats to her then-husband George.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Then there was Raymond Taylor, the Contestant Who Wouldn't Leave. Wheel had to take out a restraining order against him.

Offline WheelzVatcher

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Then there was Raymond Taylor, the Contestant Who Wouldn't Leave. Wheel had to take out a restraining order against him.

Can you expand? What happened with him?

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!