Author Topic: Rich Fields to Family Feud?  (Read 14129 times)

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Rich Fields to Family Feud?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
OR.................................what about.......the 1994-1995 Dawson Theme!! That would be perfect for Harvey Feud

I've listened to the entire 1994 Feud package at TVPMM, and I just can't get excited about it.  It worked for its version of Feud but I just couldn't see it working with anything else...it was too heavy on the drums and only sounded vaguely like Family Feud at all (you can pick out the familiar melody but only if you really listen hard).  Speaking only for myself here, it's not smooth and easy to listen to, and sounds to me more like something MadTV would use than an actual gameshow theme.

The classic themes--both Dawson and Combs--were very rich, and were easy to listen to.  The John Lewis Parker music was also easy to listen to (I think) and added flavor to the show without being an assault on the senses.  The '94 package was none of those.  It was just...there, and no matter how many times I see clips of the 1994 show, the music still seems too far "out of character" to me.  You expect most gameshow theme music to be pleasant to listen to, and the 1994 package is one of only a few post-1980s packages that makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Maybe it's just me, but for a gameshow in 2012, I much prefer the John Lewis Parker libraries.  As for the 1994 package...I'm glad TVPMM has it from a purely preservationist point of view, but I'm glad that it's no longer in active use.

(For the record, the Combs Revenge package wasn't any better when Karn's Feud used it in 2003--the drums were far too heavy and drowned out the actual melody.)

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
The 1994-95 theme would actually be a perfect fit, in my opinion. It has just the right mix of nostalgic and modern elements, plus the groove goes perfectly with thecurrent  flow of the show.

(For the record, the Combs Revenge package wasn't any better when Karn's Feud used it in 2003--the drums were far too heavy and drowned out the actual melody.)

I personally think they made much better use of the Combs theme back in '02-'03, if only because they utilized not only the entire theme song, but other parts of the 1988 music package in general (plus that remix they used of the faceoff cue was cool to listen to).
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
I personally think they made much better use of the Combs theme back in '02-'03, if only because they utilized not only the entire theme song, but other parts of the 1988 music package in general (plus that remix they used of the faceoff cue was cool to listen to).

I agree with the first part, shows like Feud simply don't work when you're using the same 10-second snippet over and over again.  The 1988 package was/is a great collection, for its energy and character as well as its liveliness.

The faceoff cue though (I guess that's the only real "Combs Revenge" piece out of the bunch)...no.  When it was used, all I heard was a bunch of drums and a few synth notes, the original piece was completely buried.  An upbeat and fun show like Feud doesn't need that--the original pieces were full of energy of their own, the remix brought nothing to the show and always made me want to turn up the volume to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Not the way to run a railroad.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:16:56 PM by TheTechSGT »

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
The faceoff cue though (I guess that's the only real "Combs Revenge" piece out of the bunch)...no.  When it was used, all I heard was a bunch of drums and a few synth notes, the original piece was completely buried.  An upbeat and fun show like Feud doesn't need that--the original pieces were full of energy of their own, the remix brought nothing to the show and always made me want to turn up the volume to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Not the way to run a railroad.

Eh, I suppose you're right. It was cool that they did something like that, though. It kind of fit in with the more modern aspects of the show.
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
It kind of fit in with the more modern aspects of the show.

That's the thing though, it didn't fit at all.  If you're going to remix a show's music package, do it all the way, not halfway like that cue.  The Combs Revenge faceoff cue was a needless butchering of a classic piece of music, for no real reason.  Heavy drums and synth just don't work when they drown out your show's primary melody the way this cue did.  That's why I keep going back to the John Lewis Parker music as the perfect "modern" Feud theme--it sounded modern and techno and really fit with the modern aspects of the show, without burying them beneath choppy-sounding drums or a blaring bass line.

Offline MegastarLV

• Outside in Line
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
Well, it never happened.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
Does Joey Fatone actually make money using that prerecorded clip? That would be sad to pay him every time it's used when he doesn't even have to report to the studio.
  Residual pay.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »
3 year bump. Yeah, no. Thanks. Didn't you get the 30 day warning? Know it, and heed it.

LOCKED.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!