Author Topic: My laptop problem? Maybe a virus?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
My laptop problem? Maybe a virus?
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
All week,  I've replied to the post here with my iPhone cause I'm having an issue with my laptop since Monday morning.  Any Internet sites especially Facebook, YouTube and here runs slow or stop and some of my friends says maybe a virus and would have to get something done. 

Is there a way of looking at it and fixing it without having to spend the money I DON'T have (extra) right now so I can get it back to normal?

I have Norton Anti Virus in my system which is Windows 7, BTW. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: My laptop problem? Maybe a virus?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:27 PM »
Facebook recently announced that because they switched from http to https, their site may load slower than it previously had. So in that case, it may be FB and not your laptop.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
Youtube has been slow for me as well but this site seems to be okay.  A virus is still possible which leads me to my next point.

I have Norton Anti Virus in my system which is Windows 7, BTW. 

I've never been crazy about Norton.  Might I suggest AVG or Avast?  They're free and they've worked well for me over the years.  I too use Windows 7.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Disneyfreak

• Double Showcase Winner
  • facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »
I tried using this software but I have to buy the full version which is $35.00 to get my PC totally fixed.  The free trial versions didn't get it fixed. 
Ann aka Disneyfreak
facebook.com/afdisneyfreak
Add/Follow me on Social Media!!

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
Why not buy Webroot Secure? I use that to protect my laptop.

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
^ In my experience, Webroot is a memory hog that doesn't really give you much in return.  A better solution is Avast, it's free and it's a lot more effective than most of its peers, including Webroot.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
Since everyone is throwing their favorite Anti-Virus in here, I'm going to throw in Microsoft Security Essentials into the bag. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
Since everyone is throwing their favorite Anti-Virus in here, I'm going to throw in Microsoft Security Essentials into the bag. :P

We have Microsoft Security Essentials on all our Windows 7 desktops and laptops at home, and it does a great job in my experience.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
^ In my experience, Webroot is a memory hog that doesn't really give you much in return.  A better solution is Avast, it's free and it's a lot more effective than most of its peers, including Webroot.

In my experience, I have no trouble with Webroot Secure. It alerts me when a virus is present and removes it quickly.