Author Topic: An honest assessment of Mike Richards  (Read 12283 times)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: An honest assessment of Mike Richards
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »
Here's food for thought...

How do we know Mike is in charge (and has the final say) of making game setups and picking the weird prizes?

Can we be sure it's not the Co-EP Evelyn Warfel? And what about the Prize Producer Vanessa Voss? Wasn't she the one responsible for the shoecase? Or the Prize Associates Brigitta Canfield or Michelle Ferreria?

I do remember Drew saying that once a week they have a meeting specifically to talk about possible new prizes where everyone brings in a couple prize ideas they thought of / found.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 09:56:20 PM »
Can we be sure it's not the Co-EP Evelyn Warfel? And what about the Prize Producer Vanessa Voss? Wasn't she the one responsible for the shoecase? Or the Prize Associates Brigitta Canfield or Michelle Ferreria?

Okay, I can't even consider myself a casual viewer anymore because I didn't know who any of those people are until I saw them on this thread...

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
Thank you vadernader for that food for thought. That is an interesting point.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »
Here's food for thought...

How do we know Mike is in charge (and has the final say) of making game setups and picking the weird prizes?

I do remember Drew saying that once a week they have a meeting specifically to talk about possible new prizes where everyone brings in a couple prize ideas they thought of / found.
I thought that Mike is the "showrunner." I could've sworn that I've heard him say he's responsible for running the show. As such, everything must go through him. I'm sure he consults with his fellow Co-EPs and Prize Associates, but at the end of the day he'll green light or decline what will and won't be on the show.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
The "shoecase" was Tracy Verna's idea.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 01:10:16 AM »
The "shoecase" was Tracy Verna's idea.

Yes, and Mike approved it.  And liked it so much they did a baby version.

Cyclone

Offline one4gameshows

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
IMHO, I think Mike Richards is doing a good job trying to take the show in a positive direction on several points.

I think he's trying to preserve the legacy that is The Price Is Right and in the process trying to update the show to today's standards to keep it relevant to today's ADHD tv viewer.  ;) Does he get everything right? NO. Has he brought some fresh ideas?  YES!  Does he go overkill on fresh ideas (i.e., special hosts, overpriced showcases, outdoing himself in the prize department, and etc.) SURE!  Does he respond to the "hardcore" fanbase? Yeah in some regards. 

With that in mind, I think he's trying to make the show all about the main reason we watch the show...the contestants, the games, and the prizes and putting emphasis on those things versus any one entity (i.e. host, models).

Back when Bob was hosting, the people that I know that watched the show pretty much watched the show for him and rightfully so and it somewhat evolved the show to the "Bob Barker Hour" versus "The Price Is Right" :oldlol: Now let us give credit to where credit is certainly due! Bob Barker is a legend in this business and an icon that probably won't be seen again in this new generation of television. Bob came from a mold of emcees and he perfected his craft in that he engaged the viewer, those in the studio audience with his personality and charisma. He knew how to interact with contestants, the models, the announcers, the production crew PLUS he had the time to do it and still get on with the show!  That's something that you don't see anymore in television (due to time constraints, producers and directors putting out half-@$$ quality programming)  So with that in mind, those same people that watch the show then,  now watch the show on a casual basis to see "what-crazy-prize-is-coming-up-next" OR "can-I-be-entertained-in-5-minutes-or-less" versus being engaged by the personality at the helm and stay for the full hour. So the interest and attention has shifted greatly and it is also being fought over by this age of 150+ channels and options that a person available to them while the show is on. I think there are several factors like television viewing habits that comes to mind in all of this that Mike Richards has to consider now and make decisions on.

Also, going back to Mike Richards...who's it to say that he's not being pressured by the higher ups at the CBS Daytime department for keeping the show relevant and make some necessary changes.  Just in the past several years, CBS has removed 2 soap operas that I never would have thought would go off the air, As the World Turns and Guiding Light Heck, The Young and the Restless (no.1 soap for years now) has made a lot of changes in the cast, production crew, writers, and mostly the executive producer all so it can stay in the RED and be profitable for Sony and CBS. Don't you think that CBS might have handed Fremantle Media and Mike Richards the same edict of making the show fresh for the viewers to hold on to them to make them appealing to the advertisers? For TPIR, does it really freakin matter about trip skins, set changes, depletion of good quality music cues, new directors, or whatever hell someone can complain about saying "it's not the same show as I was a child or when Bob was hosting it, or Roger producing it"???  If it does, then God help you because even the good folks at Sony Pictures Television/King World now (CTD) knew what they had to do with Wheel of Fortune. THAT show is nothing like the original version from the NBC Daytime version that started out in the 70s. Merv and the producers saw that the shopping element was getting old. So they try the BIG CASH format and it worked and it still works and still works and Harry Friedman comes in and makes tweaks here and there and after 30 years the show is still the number one game show in America...period!  And depending on who you talk to and what websites and other ratings material you read, the number one show in syndication. But they had to keep up with the changes of society in television viewing habits.

Also I read somewhere a while back that CBS is making a profit now in the Daytime. That goes without saying that there's a lot that we don't know that goes on behind closed doors with CBS, Fremantle, and Price Productions that we don't take into consideration as far as production meetings and meeting profits margins and stuff like that. After all Television is still a business and if you aren't in the business of making money at the end of the day then "what the hell are you doing wasting someone's time"? If I were the VP of Daytime Programming and the numbers are good for this show and there is potential (based on factual data) for the show to become even better and profitable, I would be pleased and I would encourage the person in charge of the show to continue to do what they are doing (the right things) to continue to bring in the money because at the end of the day, CBS doesn't give 5 craps if it p!sses off the hardcore fan,(see all the fan bases of the cancelled primetime shows in the past 5 years alone). They or Les Moonves need to make a profit for this conglomerate media empire to keep his job as CEO of CBS and the stockholders happy! ;) 

So, I think Mike Richards is doing good!  He can improve in a lot of areas but as long as he does what he thinks is best as executive producer based off of experience and knowledge and some mentoring can be good too (but that's for another day) and continues to listen to the fans and the fans get behind him in support versus dogging this guy out all the darn time...I think this show can last for a good while and squeeze all the fun out of it while we can and we the fans and viewers of the show enjoy the ride. I will say that game show fans are truly hardcore and a niche of viewers that hard to please. For a show to be on for 41 years straight with no sights of cancellation, we are blessed to have this show still on the air.

*now I will say that he does have the format the Let's Make a Deal down pat. He's good at producing that show. He's only missing two elements on that show to make it perfect and that to increase the prize budget and to bring back the 2 player format of "The Big Deal of the Day":oldlol:

Offline Cyclone

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Just in the past several years, CBS has removed 2 soap operas that I never would have thought would go off the air, As the World Turns and Guiding Light Heck, The Young and the Restless (no.1 soap for years now) has made a lot of changes in the cast, production crew, writers, and mostly the executive producer all so it can stay in the RED and be profitable for Sony and CBS.

Just to clarify, making a profit is being in the black, and losing money in the red.

Cyclone

Offline one4gameshows

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
^ Cyclone....thank you!  I totally blew it on that one.... 8-O

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »
Don't you think that CBS might have handed Fremantle Media and Mike Richards the same edict of making the show fresh for the viewers to hold on to them to make them appealing to the advertisers? For TPIR, does it really freakin matter about trip skins, set changes, depletion of good quality music cues, new directors, or whatever hell someone can complain about saying "it's not the same show as I was a child or when Bob was hosting it, or Roger producing it"???

I'm still not sure what the removal of the trip skins has to do with staying relevant, since, again, those were not replaced with the plasma screens, but the green screens.  That was an effect the show could've used for trips back in the 70s.  Using the green screens for trips is more dated than the trip skins themselves, which are timeless.  The plasmas aren't timeless, but they are current, at least.  Replacing the trip skins with the green screens did not make the show more relevant by any stretch, though.

And I'm not sure how changing the music cues to less-melodic cues is staying relevant, either.  I've still yet to hear anything from anyone on how or why the new music cues are better for today's audience.  Is there a trend for less ear-catchy music that I'm just unaware of?  I'm asking in all seriousness there:  am I that out of the loop with today's musical trends?

Offline TheTechSGT

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »
Replacing the trip skins with the green screens did not make the show more relevant by any stretch, though.

Very true; remember how the contestants had looks of bewilderment on their faces when the doors opened to show the greenscreens?  No show should be proud of the fact that on national television people look confused.

And I'm not sure how changing the music cues to less-melodic cues is staying relevant, either.  I've still yet to hear anything from anyone on how or why the new music cues are better for today's audience.  Is there a trend for less ear-catchy music that I'm just unaware of?  I'm asking in all seriousness there:  am I that out of the loop with today's musical trends?

I don't think you are.  I think the people claiming that this trend is a good thing are the ones who are out of touch.

Offline DYC

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Being a DJ and composer, I can tell you that modern-day trends in music (pop music) lean a LOT more toward the newer loop-based or techno/ dance music type cues on the show than our Beloved Kalehoff/ Score Productions library. Hey, we got an Awesome Bean Stalker remix last week, let's hope we get some more remixes, because I truly believe that's all the nostalgia that we're gonna get. I'm fine with that.
  I mean, in reality, our beloved classic cues from the Barker era are truly only a mix of fusion jazz, disco, and lush orchestrations that even Soap Operas have long discarded. It would be totally foreign to a legion of younger/ casual viewers, and frankly goes against the general direction and feel of the show. Besides, I can't make my daughters listen to Steely Dan or Stevie Wonder either, so I understand the show's Musical Dilema.
  I love our classic music, as we all do, and have personally and musically grown from being exposed to it for lo so many years ago. We are blessed that it's archived online.

And more related to the topic, IMO one4gameshows is exactly right. Well.. except for the 'in the red' bit..  ;-).. but I get it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:22:11 PM by DYC »

Offline Rusty

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
And I'm not sure how changing the music cues to less-melodic cues is staying relevant, either.  I've still yet to hear anything from anyone on how or why the new music cues are better for today's audience.  Is there a trend for less ear-catchy music that I'm just unaware of?

Some of it is current musical trends.  Most songs today don't feature a rhodes, bells, etc. on the rhythm track, but they have some level of definition.  The stuff they're using on the show, however, sounds like canned generic music you'd use as background in a primetime show to avoid paying royalties to an artist for its use.  Bland, featureless elevator music is all it is. (Ditto what DYC said above me.)

Another thought: Is there anyone who can shed some light on the costs associated with using modern-day tracks vs. Score's stuff? If the newer stuff is cheaper to license?  That could be another factor.

A third thought, though it's weak: are the bland pieces used for cleaner edits in post?  Cutting out two seconds of some of the older cues would stick out like a sore thumb.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
For TPIR, does it really freakin matter about trip skins, set changes, depletion of good quality music cues, new directors, or whatever hell someone can complain about saying "it's not the same show as I was a child or when Bob was hosting it, or Roger producing it"?
Yes, because the aesthetics can make or break a show. You can have a good format, host, etc. but how it is packaged can make all the difference. Price made its mark by being timeless.

even the good folks at Sony Pictures Television/King World now (CTD) knew what they had to do with Wheel of Fortune. THAT show is nothing like the original version from the NBC Daytime version that started out in the 70s. Merv and the producers saw that the shopping element was getting old. So they try the BIG CASH format and it worked and it still works and still works and Harry Friedman comes in and makes tweaks here and there and after 30 years the show is still the number one game show in America...period!
This is not really a fair comparison -- aside from the shopping, the changes began in 1995 simply because Sony had thought the show was becoming "tired and dated" under then-producer Nancy Jones*. Harry Friedman would likely have not even tried out for being producer had he not been contacted by an "old friend", Sony Pictures CEO Alan Levine.

That aside, not everything Friedman has tried with Wheel has become gold -- making each week self-contained, for instance, or the continued problems of the Prize Puzzle.

(* Yes, I am aware there is a parallel between this and Fremantle firing Roger because they wanted to "take the show in a new direction".)

So, I think Mike Richards is doing good! He can improve in a lot of areas but as long as he does what he thinks is best as executive producer based off of experience and knowledge and some mentoring can be good too (but that's for another day) and continues to listen to the fans and the fans get behind him in support versus dogging this guy out all the darn time...I think this show can last for a good while and squeeze all the fun out of it while we can and we the fans and viewers of the show enjoy the ride.
Did we not already have this discussion about why Marc did not wish to establish communication with the new regime? And why some users here do not get behind Richards? After all, this is the guy who "did what he thought was best" and got Ted permanently banned from Television City after the Perfect Bid incident.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:12:52 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
Very true; remember how the contestants had looks of bewilderment on their faces when the doors opened to show the greenscreens?

No, I honestly don't remember that.  I do remember people on this board saying that would happen, and then noticing that it didn't.