Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/31/2012 (TPiR Best of 2012 Special)  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 12/31/2012 (TPiR Best of 2012 Special)
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/31/2012 (TPiR Best of 2012 Special)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Not a bad show, a car win in Roo and double $1,000 winners on the wheel. However, Drew needs to not make remarks like "I don't care if you don't win such-and-such" in games like Switcheroo. I understand that the car is the big prize, and that the smaller prizes are there to help win the car. But Drew is the host. He's supposed to care, or at least pretend to care, about every prize. Even spatulas. :)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
Were all of the prizes the best of 2012? It is a matter of opinion; however, I don't share that opinion. 52 designer handbags? Really?? For the first pricing game prize of the day??

Things did improve as the show progressed though, peaking with the showcases. I liked the way the Switcheroo board and numbers were refreshed (with a good car win there), seeing two thousand-dollar winners in the second showcase showdown was nice, and offering a rather expensive vehicle and then an even more expensive vehicle in the showcases was great. (I've liked the style of the Range Rover Evoque for months now.) :) 

Hope everyone has a safe New Year's Eve.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:38:33 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »
A very nice way to end 2012.

THE BAD NEWS:

Rat Race: Not a good day for Ethel. At least she got a portable grill.

CoG: Once again, the rules are totally simplistic throughout this season so far:

If you are playing for a trip: Going

If you are NOT playing for a trip: Coming

Even though Tess lost on that, she did won her showcase with a Mustang convertible.

THE GOOD NEWS:

P-a-P: Wise for Kristen to keep the Selsun Blue and pick the pizza for the win! But a year's worth of handbags, Mike?! Guess I should've seen that coming............

Switcheroo: Seems common sense that the missing number of the price for the Fiat was a 1. Good thing Kelli realize that to win it, and the panini press and beverage jar.

Double Cross: Another win from Sarah!

Freeze Frame: Bobby did a good job!

4/6 wins and 2 $1000 wins on the big wheel wasn't bad at all.............Wonder what 2013 will bring us!

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
A PAIR of two-prize showcases?  Sorry but that was an awful way to end 2012.  Nice win in Switcheroo though.

...and I never thought I'd say this, but Double Cross is starting to grow on me.  Didn't like this game at first but the more I see it played the less I dislike it.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
Is it the whole West Coast that had The Young and the Restless at 10:00am, and a sporting event until 3:00pm? Because I never saw The Price is Right today because of that.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »
I'm not even sure what to make of this show. It turned out well, but gosh, what a goofy lineup today. I'm not sure why the 52 designer handbag game always has to be 1st. There has to be some reason for that other than they just want it there. And of course they don't want you to price it, which is really a great thing actually, so that leads to regular GP/SP games first, which can also be a good thing, but all the better options for leadoff games and they choose Secret X and Pick A Pair. OK, really. At least it was won (despite a somewhat difficult setup). And I could go into the usual rant about handbags here, but I'll save space.

Then we go on to play two SP/car games in one show and no cash for no discernible reason. I honestly think cash should be on this show and why not, it's one less prize they have to come up with. And when I saw Rat Race was being introduced in the 2nd half, I was like "OK, this is also a 30 year old car they don't want you to price", but that wasn't the case either. Lots of unpredictable stuff going on today. Our terrible luck on Rat Race continues, but it was so nice to see another Switcheroo win! Not the best playing, she lucked into it, but we'll certainly take it - at least she realized none of those other SPs could be less than $20. Pointless stat of the day: Switcheroo has been played 2nd 3 times in the past 2 seasons, and it's been won all 3 times. However, it's winless in every other slot! Adam Sandler is probably taking note right now :) Also, the set change on Switcheroo is possibly the most pointless set change ever made.

Other than that, this show was, well, quickies. And nice expensive showcases with a good car and a luxury car, like there should be on this special. In the end it turned out OK, but man, was it weird. If we're in for more lineup free-for-alls I'm going to have to get used to this...

Timings:
Pick A Pair (4.5) - 4:32
Switcheroo (5.5) - 6:25
Double Cross (4) - 4:05
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 2:33
Rat Race (6) - 4:56
Freeze Frame (4) - 4:01
Total (27.5): 26:32

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
PaP: An easy win almost blown.

Switcheroo: The second-most expensive car offered in this game as far as daytime's concerned is won!!! I would've also guessed the 1 for the car, but I wasn't sure because of the spatulas.

DC: Easy.

CoG: The recent trip or not strategy still applied in this playing.

RR: I'm not certain if this was supposed to be played as badly as it was.

FF: Not too hard.

Showcases: I overbid the Range Rover Showcase- I was so sure it would at least break $70K.

Better show than expected today.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
A PAIR of two-prize showcases?  Sorry but that was an awful way to end 2012.
Not necessarily. The first Showcase had 3 prizes, not 2.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
I'm not sure why the 52 designer handbag game always has to be 1st. There has to be some reason for that other than they just want it there.

It's likely to prevent a male contestant from winning it. (note how the first four contestants called down in situations like these are always female)
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
Nice show today all things considering. It was also nice that they cleared up this was THEIR favorite prizes of 2012, not the fans. (Drew said it during a return from commercial.) That explains the lack of "What was the best of 2012?" post on PiR.com and makes them asking for tweets not as devious as some would think.

I was really hoping that Range Rover was going to be won, but could tell from the bids that it wasn't going to be.

A PAIR of two-prize showcases?  Sorry but that was an awful way to end 2012.

Showcase 1 had a pool table, shuffleboard table, and a Convertible. 3 Prizes. Also, Range Rover Evoque is an amazing way to end 2012, 2 prize showcase or not.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline TheTechSGT

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
Showcase 1 had a pool table, shuffleboard table, and a Convertible. 3 Prizes.

To me, "pool table" and "shuffleboard table" are similar enough in purpose to count as a single prize, just like a pinball machine and an arcade game are part of a game room package.  One prize.  Meaning two prize showcase.

Also, Range Rover Evoque is an amazing way to end 2012, 2 prize showcase or not.

A 2-prize showcase is still a 2-prize showcase, and both of today's fall under that heading.  Two showcases consisting of two nice prizes plus a nice car is the proper way to end a year, no ifs ands or buts.  Today we had two two-prize showcases, consisting each of one prize and a (an admittedly nice) car.  Not a good way to run a railroad.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
To me, "pool table" and "shuffleboard table" are similar enough in purpose to count as a single prize, just like a pinball machine and an arcade game are part of a game room package.  One prize.  Meaning two prize showcase.

Then I guess Triple Play would be a 1 Prize Game, considering it's for 3 Cars which are all similar enough. :)

It's likely to prevent a male contestant from winning it. (note how the first four contestants called down in situations like these are always female)

That's what I'm thinking as well...they don't want a repeat of the guy who won 52 pairs of shoes in Cliffhangers. :oldlol:
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline elskunkoman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
Coming or Going should've been won today but we had a good show today with Pick a pair, switcheroo, double cross and freeze frame won. Even rat race was winnable if she guessed the blue rat which i woulda said along with purple and green.
pepe! It took us all summer to clean out all the skunk stink from seasons 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40!!!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Even rat race was winnable if she guessed the blue rat which i woulda said along with purple and green.

I don't think there's a purple rat, but that brings up something I was thinking about.

They change the lanes the rats are in on virtually every playing, and they have to program the result board to match the lineup of the rats, so why can't they change the colors of the rats? I would much prefer red, purple, green, blue and orange.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:43:01 PM by 123123123 »