Author Topic: Game Show Garbage  (Read 29319 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Well...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
A phrase that is often used when criticism of MLP fans comes up is "Haters gonna hate."

Indeed. Just because a percentage of a fanbase, be it MLP or The Price is Right, is so religiously involved that members constantly clash with one another doesn't mean the entire fandom is revolting. I guess this guy's disappointment with G-R had been bottled up for so long and chose the kids' special as his window of opportunity.

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
Damn... as much as I am a fan of GSG, this is just... bad. (For the record, this isn't the same guy that wrote the ED article.)

The least he could have done would have been to censor the names.

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
Guys you do realise by making this thread you have given Robert even more ammo, Right?
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
Guys you do realise by making this thread you have given Robert even more ammo, Right?

We would only be giving him ammo if we actually cared what he thought. And, for the most part, I don't think many do.

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
You could take the stand that even addressing such an insulting article is giving it more attention than it deserves, or you could take the stand that such an article directly addressing the community merits and perhaps even requires a counter-response. I believe that the only ammunition that you could conceivably give the author is to either act the way he alleges most of this website does, or to emulate his derogatory style and reciprocate it back to him, neither of which I intend to do. The closest I got was a few choice--and I believe accurate--words regarding one of his trusted sources, Encyclopedia Dramatica, considering the quality--specifically, the lack thereof--of content prevalent there.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:37 PM »
Guys, GRV is just restating what Seth said at the bottom of Page 1. (I myself missed this at first because of the most recent replies not showing Seth's)

I kind of agree and disagree with it. (That's in reference to "Not Giving Ammo", I do disagree with the article :P) It seems like this guy expects someone on here to make a thread about it and users to comment on it and view it. "Don't feed the trolls." comes to mind. Then again, since most of the stuff in his article already happened, nothing we say here could really "incriminate" this site any more than the vision he has of it. It is also fair to voice our own opinion of the article, as long as it is tasteful and not just spiteful/vengeful with a reasoning of... "WELL HE STARTED IT"
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
A phrase that is often used when criticism of MLP fans comes up is "Haters gonna hate." I think it applies to unconstructive criticism of this board and its members as well. Ignore people like the author of that page, don't give them the attention they're so obviously seeking.
You're right, Hag. I just wanted to take a firm statement towards this sort of stuff. I'm not going to say any more about it.
Stop the madness.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 10:35:06 PM »
I will be posting my response shortly. Note that my response comes in major part because of the significant amount of time I've personally invested in this site in recent months, and as such I naturally have a very vested interest in what *everyone* thinks.  Otherwise, I suggest acting as civilized and dignified as you can possibly muster. (And if you can't muster either one, then this would be a good time for you to take an extended trip to the lavatory)

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
I think a wise man once said, "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'".

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
For the record, the Game Show Forum generally agrees with us. Of course, since they are not the ones being inducted (and, interestingly, are not mentioned by Sidelman in the "three kinds of smarks" portion of his induction), they say considerably more.

As for me, I found it strange that Sidelman notes the response to Roger's firing but fails to mention savethepriceisright.com or the imbecilities that occurred in Season 37 (incidents which were not only mentioned at the aforementioned website but, I should note, have been inducted by Sidelman on his site).

The email which sparked the induction refers to events that happened over four-and-a-half years ago. And back then, there were some people who took Price as a priority over everything else. It reminded me of some asshat last year or the year before who was all "OMG imminent hurricane now I can't watch the show!" or something like that, and every single response was pure disgust (with one pointing out how a similar incident happened on September 11, 2001).

But "some" does not mean "everyone", and I would like to think that many users here have matured in the years since Roger's dismissal.

Why am I mentioning this? Because this article was published (I'm assuming) around the same time when the site was improving quite a good deal.
The "induction" was published earlier today.

I do also have some credibility qualms when the author cites Encyclopedia Dramatica as a source and calls it "a great website". I really wouldn't call that troll, shark-bait, inflammatory, crude, hateful, inaccurate, gossiping, and otherwise atrocious website "great".
In fairness, Sidelman notes that
Disclaimer: Encyclopedia Dramatica is a parody site and a troll site.
Two more terms I would use are "hornets' nest" and "brain scarring".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:08:33 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
http://golden-road.net/response.htm

My response can be found here. Again, apologies, I'm not on my computer and didn't have access to what I would need to properly format the response in a site-consistent design.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:24:25 PM by Seth »

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Re: Game Show Garbage
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
http://golden-road.net/response.htm

My response can be found here. Again, apologies, I'm not on my computer and didn't have access to what I would need to properly format the response in a site-consistent design.

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, the official site response, even if not yours individually, is out. There really isn't anything else to add to the thread, and, because of that, nothing further to discuss. This could easily go downhill, and I think we're set.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:54:00 PM by Seth »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Re: Game Show Garbage
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:17 AM »
An additional comment: Mr. Seidelman has edited his original column to remove several of the direct criticisms at specific site members, as well as to in general soften the tone of the article somewhat.  My original response will remain as-is as it's majority were general points that remain valid regardless.

I thank him sincerely for contributing to the discussion as to this discussion, encourage him or anyone else who may have stopped by due to the article to join in themselves, and congratulate Game Show Garbage on having made my day significantly less boring.