Author Topic: Game Show Network : Another one bites the dust..  (Read 9779 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game Show Network : Another one bites the dust..
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
To point one: a cheap way to get off the ground. The idea that there is some demand is not really the question. The question is, is there enough to be a successful enough venture for the owners. Antenna and Me are very low cost ways to get some use out of broadcast sub channels, and the jury will remain out as to the long term viability of the business model.

It's also worth pointing out that RTN is so "popular," it has already been through one bankruptcy.  And a lot of the local stations that air these networks actually pre-empt them with impunity when they can sell infomercials in their place.  As you say, it's just filler to the broadcasters.

As far as the purpose of cable channels changing over time, keep in mind that when Nick at Nite started, it was literally the only place where you could watch most "classic" programs.  Now you can see them on DVD or Netflix or Hulu any time you want.  And if you're mostly interested in just seeing the most famous moments and episodes from a series (which is how most people watch classic TV anyway), then you can probably find what you're looking for on YouTube.

GSN was born concurrent with digital cable, at a time when cable providers suddenly found themselves with the ability to offer hundreds of channels, but without the actual content to fill them.  At that time, the channels were in a startup phase when ratings were almost beside the point.  That's no longer the case, especially for channels like GSN that aren't owned by companies that also have more popular channels that they can sell as a package.  That's part of how TCM gets so much carriage: Turner can say if you want relatively popular channels like TNT and TBS, you've gotta take TCM, too.  The most signifcant channels that Sony owns are a couple of small sports channels and Audience Network, which is basically a loss leader that DirecTV uses to try to get more subscribers.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
We here in Canada have a channel called Game TV, with shows such as Supermarket Sweep, The New Liars club,  Bumper Stumpers, The Dating Game, And Family Feud (Steve Harvey) and Pyramid (John O'hurley).

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »
I don't watch GSN much myself. I liked it when the old Price is Right was on, but now, just like G4 and even Disney Channel, the network is not what it used to be.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Comedy Gold here in Canada is running Match Game, complete with parting gift promos and full credits, but they only seem to be showing the 1973 edition.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline FamilyFeud1994

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Up for some Bankroll?
    • My Podcast (Drop the Mic)
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
We here in Canada have a channel called Game TV, with shows such as ... Pyramid (John O'hurley).

...um... what?
"YOU ON FAMILY FEUD! THIS AIN'T A COMEDY ROUTINE!"

Perhaps you should practice what you preach, Steve.

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
...um... what?
Whoops sorry I meant the current version with Mike Richards.

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »

It's all about money and power in the real world.

Again, see Turner Classic Movies.  They fly in the face of the above theory and heroically avert Network Decay in the process.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline nowhammies11

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The blood of angry men, the dark of ages past
    • The Whammy's Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
Whoops sorry I meant the current version with Mike Richards.

No you didn't.  It's Donnymid.
YOU CAN NEVER STOP :clipboard:

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »

No you didn't.  It's Donnymid.
No, he most recent one, hosted by infamous TPIR producer Mike Richards, is on GSN in the USA and on Game TV in Canada.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:27 AM »
^Game TV knows better than to air crap. :-P

How do things like ... hours of Family Feud Repeats fit into the networks goals?
Because Family Feud gets the largest ratings, and has generally been used by GSN to "patch" holes in the schedule.

1. You're thinking of "Nick Arcade."
When I saw that line, my first thought was Starcade, a WTBS (later syndicated) show that was 100% about video games. Nick Arcade had SNES and Genesis games, but they were not guaranteed to be played.

Much like oldies radio or TV Land or AMC, there is a need to evolve if they wish not to stagnate and simply fade away. The novelty of airing some things not seen in decades was fun, but another generation has passed in the interim.

Not every attempt that any network makes will work. Some acquisitions will hit, some will miss, but fear of the misses shouldn't be an excuse not to try to push the boundaries and better compete in the world of 2013.
The problem is that the highest-rated GSN programming is typically your standard, studio-based game shows. Every attempt they have made into reality television has bombed spectacularly, and yet they continue to go there time and again under the mindset that it has to work at some point.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 04:57:16 AM »
Highest doesn't necessarily mean high enough in all cases, nor does it mean it's sustainable across the full schedule. And some of their traditional efforts have not set the world on fire (Pyramid). Because that one quickly flopped, should they not try any more?

Other networks have tried and failed for a time to find a path that leads to bigger success, but failure does not necessarily mean accepting defeat. It can mean continuing to try and tweak and learn. Just like in life.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »
Highest doesn't necessarily mean high enough in all cases, nor does it mean it's sustainable across the full schedule. And some of their traditional efforts have not set the world on fire (Pyramid). Because that one quickly flopped, should they not try any more?

Other networks have tried and failed for a time to find a path that leads to bigger success, but failure does not necessarily mean accepting defeat. It can mean continuing to try and tweak and learn. Just like in life.
There's a slight problem with the Pyramid angle. Before Pyramid flopped, American Bible Challenge brought in the channel's biggest ratings ever. I have to think that there is a very large gap in the success/failure ratio between traditional shows and reality shows. They've had far more failures with reality programming than they've had with traditional programming.

I'm not saying they should give up however. I like some reality programming from time to time. Unfortunately for GSN, none of that reality programming is related to games whatsoever. The stuff that GSN has tried just sucked. It being poor in quality was probably the biggest reason for failure moreso than it not completely fitting with the original aim of GSN. All they need to do is make something good. Make something good and people might just watch it. Unfortunately for GSN, the only way they might have to do that is to stray completely from anything competitive to get something good. But a lot of cable networks have already done that, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
There's a slight problem with the Pyramid angle. Before Pyramid flopped, American Bible Challenge brought in the channel's biggest ratings ever. 

i forgot about that show.. what exactly is it about?  Just the title alone makes me think up something that should be on that Harold Camping Network.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
^Trust me, you're not missing much of anything on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bible_Challenge

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
^Trust me, you're not missing much of anything on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bible_Challenge

wow, and something that boring sounding is their hit show?  Now i have to look up the new pyramid and this thing to see how they are...