Author Topic: Username Change ?  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Username Change ?
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
Is it possible to change my username ?  It seems in one iteration of the board software, I was able to change how my name was displayed myself, but that doesn't seem possible now. 

Thanks!

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
Re: Username Change ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Unfortunally that is only possible on Proboards where you can change your displayed name in my case "TheGRVOfLightning" but as for usernames they can only be changed with Administrative credentials.
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »
Unfortunately that is only possible on Proboards...

That's not true at all.  Most (if not all) forum software has the ability to change your display name.  It's the choice of the administrators whether or not the feature is enabled.  In the case of this site, it's not available and you're stuck with whatever name you sign up with.

The actual retail price is...

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
On any forum software that I've seen, members can't change their own usernames. Some, however, have a function, that an admin may or may not have enabled for the members, for a user to change the display name, which is distinguished from the username--the username is what you log-in with and what's displayed everywhere, while being able to change the display name will change what members see in posts, but not what you log-in with. I'm sure all have a function where an administrator can outright change the username.

Having said that, the admins here have most probably deemed this to not be a feature fit for this message board for whatever reason. However, the banned member WarioBarker became brtsimpson142--a full username change--at one point by what I gather to be a request to an admin, though it might have been a topic like this one. I'm not sure. I do know, though, that, based on this precedent, you should be able to have your request honored as long as you're reasonable and ask nicely.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Having said that, the admins here have most probably deemed this to not be a feature fit for this message board for whatever reason. However, the banned member WarioBarker became brtsimpson142--a full username change--at one point by what I gather to be a request to an admin, though it might have been a topic like this one. I'm not sure. I do know, though, that, based on this precedent, you should be able to have your request honored as long as you're reasonable and ask nicely.

The first part of this post is dead on, that I cut out, the 2nd (quoted) is way off base. If you look at WarioBarker's profile, it still says WarioBarker, the brtsmpsn inaccurate rumors came from ED. With that said, we have had few select people change usernames: Disneyfreak, from Disneyfreak777 (but she still logs in as the latter) and earlier, I believe jacobr1020, previously ilovesuperball. All you see is what people see your posts as- you'd still login under the old account's name, down to the characters.

It's like at my site (a proboards site)- I let you change the username at will or want, but your login name will be whatever you originally signed up as, no matter what you change it to or how many times you do so.

/While we're at it, I've wanted to use Prizes (no number, capital P) here for sometime, been too lazy to remember to ask for this change.
//Wish I could change these for you, for timeliness, but for good cause/science I cannot.
///Anyone know how to perform cold fusion?
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »
The first part of this post is dead on, that I cut out, the 2nd (quoted) is way off base. If you look at WarioBarker's profile, it still says WarioBarker, the brtsmpsn inaccurate rumors came from ED. With that said, we have had few select people change usernames: Disneyfreak, from Disneyfreak777 (but she still logs in as the latter) and earlier, I believe jacobr1020, previously ilovesuperball. All you see is what people see your posts as- you'd still login under the old account's name, down to the characters.
I wonder how I managed to do that. I don't read Encylopedia Dramatica, but I was very sure I thought the one account was a re-name of the other, otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything. After I started seeing brtsimpson142, I stopped seeing WarioBarker, so it really made sense to me. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll correct as such: Based on the precedent of members here being granted changes, you should be able to have your request honored as long as you're reasonable and ask nicely.

That now warps my logic process a little, though. I'm almost certain that forum admins pretty much anywhere (bet it here, another SMF location, or another forum software altogether) can perform an outright username change, separate from any "display" feature. In the cases you mentioned, were the usernames outright changed, or was a display feature that regular members aren't allowed to use used on their behalf?
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]