Author Topic: February 12th, 1981 (w/Ox Baker!)  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
February 12th, 1981 (w/Ox Baker!)
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRFrrNX0nY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRFrrNX0nY</a>
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
Re: February 12th, 1981 (w/Ox Baker!)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20:34 PM »
He looks like a Klingon.

Offline tonygrace

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:56:21 AM »
I've wanted to comment on this for awhile and this is the perfect video to illustrate it.  I LOVE the sweeping transition shots they used to use showing contestant reactions between multiple prize descriptions such as 8:37 and 8:52 of this video.  Plenty of camera ped movement, a manual talent that used to make TV production such an art compared to what we see now.  It gave extra "life" to the show!!

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »
I LOVE the sweeping transition shots they used to use showing contestant reactions between multiple prize descriptions such as 8:37 and 8:52 of this video. Plenty of camera ped movement, a manual talent that used to make TV production such an art compared to what we see now. It gave extra "life" to the show!!

How true! The show's direction and camerawork were fantastic during the 1970s through mid-1980s.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 05:06:47 AM »
How true! The show's direction and camerawork were fantastic during the 1970s through mid-1980s.
Basically, the Marc Breslow years... would you say it went downhill much when Paul Alter took over?

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Basically, the Marc Breslow years... would you say it went downhill much when Paul Alter took over?

I think the peak of good direction and camerawork occurred during the 1970s through early '80s. By comparison, within a few years of Marc Breslow's departure in October 1986, the amount of fast cutting and creative camerawork seems to have decreased. Perhaps stylistic changes were imposed upon him.

Paul Alter's background was in panel shows, which are not so fast moving. After he took the reins, TPIR's production style gradually became less sophisticated.

Offline tonygrace

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »
There's no question that the late 1970s and early 1980s demonstrated some superb talent among the crew.  I'm glad I got to rediscover this through these clips since I was only a toddler in the early 80s!  Also during this era:  it wasn't uncommon (with the right contestant reaction) to see 6 or 7 fast-cut shots lasting about a second each between a car reveal and the description of the car.  i.e. "A new car!!" then car shot / contestant shot / relative in the audience shot / contestant shot / car shot again / contestant shot ... and then on to the car shot for the description.  This hasn't been done since that time, as far as I know.  I loved it!

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
... it wasn't uncommon (with the right contestant reaction) to see 6 or 7 fast-cut shots lasting about a second each between a car reveal and the description of the car.  i.e. "A new car!!" then car shot / contestant shot / relative in the audience shot / contestant shot / car shot again / contestant shot ... and then on to the car shot for the description.  This hasn't been done since that time, as far as I know.  I loved it!

While other TV shows and movies continued to feature more & more fast cutting throughout the '90s and beyond, TPiR actually took a step backward and had fewer.  I've never understood that.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »
Soooooo...am I the only one who noticed that Harriett's first spin didn't go all the way around?

That gal who played Secret "X" was nuttier than a fruitcake.  She actually left Bob speechless a couple of times!
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I never noticed that the Secret X reveal was altered, perhaps to avoid a premature reaction from the contestant. Even so, looking at some episodes I can confirm this method was still used on March 12, 1986.

While searching for that, I found that the October 30, 1986 show has both the blue titles and normal-looking "50" sign in Check-Out.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
A further discovery: regarding Ten Chances, the bottom of the board was still open on October 16, meaning that the red cover was added within a six-month period during Season 10.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ShatterMySoul99

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

While searching for that, I found that the October 30, 1986 show has both the blue titles and normal-looking "50" sign in Check-Out.

I had noticed that myself back when I uploaded it, but I didn't want to seem like I was trying to be correct the timeline in pointing it out when I uploaded it... Another discovery I made at that time (but didn't point out) also, according to the Timeline, it says:

Week 9 (625): November 3-7:
On Monday, Kyle fills in for Holly. Based on Bob's introduction of her after the third game, it may be her first appearance on the show.

However, she is also present in the October 30th episode.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
A further discovery: regarding Ten Chances, the bottom of the board was still open on October 16, meaning that the red cover was added within a six-month period during Season 10.

Just for my own peace of mind, can you link me to video of this?

(Don't ever feel bad about providing FAQ updates, guys.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 01:41:45 AM »
^Check your inbox, sir.

(Also, for some reason you removed the information about Kyle filling in on October 30, 1981 and for a time onward; the first reference to her is now at February 1988.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:44:43 AM by GuyWithFace »