Author Topic: 2013 MLB Season  (Read 33994 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2013 MLB Season
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
You are undervaluing this team quite a bit. Other than the outfield, the Mets stand to be a pretty good team. I'd argue better than the Phillies.

I'd argue not...
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
During the season, you had people like Brandon Inge, Ryan Raburn, Don Kelly, Brennan Boesch, all of these players are bad to terrible. During the September collapse a few years ago, he stuck with players like Inge and Adam Everett, refusing to pinch hit for them with the game on the line. See Game 163 for that. A few days before, and knowing he needed every win, he started a pitcher just called up from Double-A. They lost, of course.

I say backed in, because the White Sox (who overachieved) fell apart during the stretch. They were embarrassed during the World Series, and he was even joking about it just a few weeks ago. A real manager would not make fun of his teams pitiful performance, of which he was involved in as well.

Boesch was gone by late season. Rayburn didn't play much, Don Kelly was in the 'pen.

Leyland doesn't even need them, given the fact that he had enough powerhouses in Fielder and Cabrera plus the ever-ass known Delmon Young with Dirks, Berry and the trade that got Infante. If you claim that Leyland is so bad due to the playoff embarassment, what makes the unexplained Yankees collapse tolerable? (I'm speaking as a Yankee fan here.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:24:54 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
I am very excited about this season, particularly for my Jays.  Not only do we have a great team, this year is the 20th anniversary of "Touch 'Em All Joe", aka their second straight World Series victory
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:55 AM »
Don Kelly is a utility guy... and Leyland used him way too much, even as a pinch hitter in game 4!

Delmon Young was another awful player. Didn't provide the power they thought, doesn't hit for average, and is probably the worst fielder in the league. Young is so bad the Phillies signed him for practically nothing. Berry also faltered down the stretch. He's no more than a fifth outfielder, mostly because of speed. They also have one of the worst fielding shortstops in Peralta. The guy is like a statue over there. Unless the ball is hit directly at him, he won't get it. Plus, he can't even hit anymore! Trust me... I know this team inside and out. I'm one of the few who followed them back when Randy Smith was GM and they were awful.

The Yankees always collapse (minus 2009). Part of it is the personalities not meshing. Part of it is managing. Part of it may be media pressures (which I think is a poor excuse, but some players seem to buy it). Part is also pitching- it always seems the back end of the rotation and parts of the bullpen are patchwork. There's also the very weak bench. If you are a Yankees fan, you should demand some change, but it looks like you are stuck with albatrosses such as A-Rod.

Offline jmenjes

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Mouseketeer
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
Don't know how much baseball I will watch this season.  If I do, it won't be Marlins games...I'm pretty much done with them until that slimeball Loris sells the team.  This last fire sale didn't sit too well with me.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.
Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
---Walt Disney

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »
The Yankees always collapse (minus 2009). Part of it is the personalities not meshing. Part of it is managing. Part of it may be media pressures (which I think is a poor excuse, but some players seem to buy it). Part is also pitching- it always seems the back end of the rotation and parts of the bullpen are patchwork. There's also the very weak bench. If you are a Yankees fan, you should demand some change, but it looks like you are stuck with albatrosses such as A-Rod.

Meh, I don't give a rat's ass. about the $275MM contract. I am a fan of Girardi, and the catching situation the Yanks has is exactly how I wanted it. Now the Steinbrenners and Cashman need to sign Cano to 7 yr/$175MM. The only thing that should be changing is Hal Steinbrenner's commitment to the $189MM payroll.

What I mean though, no one, not even Robinson Cano, has any idea what happened in 2012 and how the team was spring loaded then come to the Orioles in the ALDS, nearly dropped if your name was not Raul Ibanez.

Also apologies on the Joe / Don Kelly error there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:37:36 AM by Roadgeek Adam »

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
I'd argue not...

Guess we're on the same page...kind of.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »
Guess we're on the same page...kind of.

In a weird way, yes. I do think the Phils are going to surprise people. It's often forgotten that this team almost got that second wild card spot last year; you'd think we finished in dead last or something. Along with that, I feel like this year's team is vastly improved and do think that they have a shot.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Add Tex to that list, out 8-10 weeks.

However, Mariano Rivera (NYY-42-CLO) is expected to announce his retirement Saturday at 10 AM in a press conference. For the last time at the end of the season, the No. 42 will be retired forever.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:24 AM »
IS it no surprise that I'm the only Texas Rangers fan on this forum?

:-D

Seriously, I think the A.L. West will be up for grabs this season, but I think it'll be a battle between the Rangers and A's.  The Angels might have a scary lineup, but when you spend $200+ million on players like C.J. Wilson, Albert Pujols, and Josh Hamilton--and as a Ranger fan, I know for a fact that Hamilton has had a track record for being a bad liability to the team--and don't spend it on enough pitching, you're gonna have to keep on mashing the baseball just to stay competitive.  The A's have shown that they can sneak up from behind you at any given time, and the Rangers have continued to build and build upon their vast array of talent.  Plus, most of their pitching staff is about to hit their stride; barring any injuries or possible suspensions (Nellie Cruz), I'd say the Rangers might surprise a lot of folks and make a good run in the postseason.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
IS it no surprise that I'm the only Texas Rangers fan on this forum?

:-D

Seriously, I think the A.L. West will be up for grabs this season, but I think it'll be a battle between the Rangers and A's.  The Angels might have a scary lineup, but when you spend $200+ million on players like C.J. Wilson, Albert Pujols, and Josh Hamilton--and as a Ranger fan, I know for a fact that Hamilton has had a track record for being a bad liability to the team--and don't spend it on enough pitching, you're gonna have to keep on mashing the baseball just to stay competitive.  The A's have shown that they can sneak up from behind you at any given time, and the Rangers have continued to build and build upon their vast array of talent.  Plus, most of their pitching staff is about to hit their stride; barring any injuries or possible suspensions (Nellie Cruz), I'd say the Rangers might surprise a lot of folks and make a good run in the postseason.

Astros are going to need a few AL seasons before being competitive in the division. Mariners are closer, maybe 2014-ish?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
Will there be a fantasy baseball team for Golden Road this season?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
Will there be a fantasy baseball team for Golden Road this season?

Yeah, I'll be happy to start it this year, probably around March 25 to prevent any injured players getting drafted.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
So you're staying away from Derek Jeter?
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
So you're staying away from Derek Jeter?

Derek's just fine now. Tex and Granderson are the no-nos.