Author Topic: OBIT: Roger Ebert  (Read 994 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • 18-29 and female? Target demographic GET!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
OBIT: Roger Ebert
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/17320958-418/roger-ebert-dies-at-70-after-battle-with-cancer.html

rogerebert.com had millions of fans, and he received a special achievement award as the 2010 “Person of the Year” from the Webby Awards, which noted that “his online journal has raised the bar for the level of poignancy, thoughtfulness and critique one can achieve on the Web.” His Twitter feeds had 827,000 followers.

Ebert was both widely popular and professionally respected. He not only won a Pulitzer Prize — the first film critic to do so -- but his name was added to the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2005, among the movie stars he wrote about so well for so long. His reviews were syndicated in hundreds of newspapers worldwide.

I loved Ebert's witty, informative reviews; he died after a lengthy battle with cancer at 70. He was often my first source to go to when there was a movie I wanted to see. :(

Fun fact, he actually invested very early on in Google. Smart, yet witty, exactly what I love in a person. May he rest in peace.
“Each mistake teaches you something new about yourself. There is no failure, remember, except in no longer trying. It is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Chris Bradford, The Way of the Sword

---

“It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt, Looking Forward

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: OBIT: Roger Ebert
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
Now, he and Gene Siskel can argue about movies together in heaven.

RIP, Roger. The film critic world won't be the same without you.

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
RIP Roger Ebert.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Time to Stack The Deck, you lucky contestant!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »
RIP Mr. Ebert.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
RIP Roger Ebert. Say hi to Gene for us.  :cry:

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »
His books ripping up the worst films he'd ever seen were hilarious.  Through all the years with Siskel and others (including guests spots on The Critic and Sesame's Sneak Peak Previews), he was often just as entertaining as the good films he reviewed.  The question is, what happens to the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down review now, and he and Siskel had trademarked it? 

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
I wonder if PBS,TCM or AMC will have some sort of tribute specials

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
Until next time, the balcony is closed.

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:11 AM »
Although I often disagree with his reviews, I cannot deny how huge his contributions were. Rest in Peace, Mr. Ebert.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
The best film critic in the world... and he has the Pulitzer Prize and Walk of Fame star to prove it.  Not only a brilliant man, but funny... a sentiment echoed by a previous poster:

His books ripping up the worst films he'd ever seen were hilarious.

His reviews of bad films were always my favorite ones to read.  My favorite Roger Ebert line of all time comes from his review of the Rob Schneider turkey Deuce Bigalow:  European Gigolo, one of the few films for which he gave zero stars:  "Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."

RIP, Roger.  You will always get Two Thumbs Up® from me.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »
His reviews of bad films were always my favorite ones to read.
Indeed, and some of them can be read here. Ebert himself stated that he enjoyed writing reviews for bad movies far moreso than writing reviews of good ones.

My favorite Roger Ebert line of all time comes from his review of the Rob Schneider turkey Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, one of the few films for which he gave zero stars: "Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."
Per the above-linked page,

Rob Schneider ... had gotten angry at Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times for his review of the movie and basically said that Goldstein's opinion didn't matter since he had never won any journalism awards. Ebert quoted Goldstein's review and Schneider's response before saying "As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified." followed by weighing in with his Pulitzer-validated opinion.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.