Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/17/2013  (Read 11370 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 4/17/2013
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:08:45 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/17/2013
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »
Cu: Great win by Kimberly- first Jeep Compass won on this show in a long time!

Range: Another great win that was on the nose w/ the bottom part of the range!

Danger: Thanks to Rob (obviously not his fault), we have a technical perfect first half!

S?: Easy thanks to the pair of prizes rule.

GM: One of the easier playings this season, IMHO, but Matthew still let the PERFECTO bid slip away.

H-L: I would've lost- I'm still getting the Reynold's Wrap & the Wax Paper confused.

Showcases: That's NOT a Ford F-150, David.

Great show today!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »
Today shall not only be expressed in words, but in gifs...

Excellent show. Not only did you have the wins, you had the moments.

The confused "WTF" face on Rob after both prices revealed in Danger Price is absolutely priceless.

Awesome Cover Up win is awesome.

Awesomely close Range Game win is awesome. Seriously...that was right on the tip. Her range literally started at 10,107. Just wonderful.

Leave it to Gas Money to come and foul up the perfect show we had going. I can't even blame the loss on the contestant when Gas Money is always setup the way it is (somehow, I still don't dislike this game as much as Pathfinder yet).

I think Drew's hosting of Hi-Lo was excellent. He knew exactly how to host that segment and did it wonderfully. On top of that, HELLO HI-LO!

More of these shows please. This show would've been just as good in my opinion if other games besides Gas had been lost. Keep the Danger moment and win and the Range win and we've still got a great show.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
This is probably one of best shows we had this season, despite no perfect show (Thank you, Gas Money........) Speaking of which:

THE BAD NEWS:

Gas Money: While it wasn't a wipeout (this time), Matthew picked the cheap tag ($18,505) on the 2nd try. So far, this is a common thing, as I mentioned before, when contestants picked the cheapest price, and that leads to too many loses and, most of the time, wipeouts. I'm fed up with that and I think Jean-Luc Picard did it best when he said this:

THE GOOD NEWS:

Cover-Up: Incredible playing by Kimberly!

Range Game: She won that very close, right on the nose!

Danger Price: That flub was pretty funny when Rob picked the foosball table and it opened that price and the price of the computer; I even liked the look of Rob (Wilson)'s face when that happened............But it's a good thing he didn't picked the W/D!

Switch?: Easy win for that guy!

Hi-Lo: I haven't seen that in a while, but at least that was a good win!

5/6 wins wasn't at all bad and it sure was entertaining! However, I wish someone win Gas this season, though..........Oh well, on to tomorrow's Kids Special.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:43:29 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
Looks like it was a good show, despite the CBS News interruption that pre-empted the Showcase result on KPIX.

When was Danger Price's set updated?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
Wow, this was easily one of the best shows of the season. Not only did it have the wins, it also had the cool moments to back it up (which jjman has already captured in GIF form). Good to see prop malfunctions are still alive and well in the Carey era, even with Mike's neuroticism about everything :) The first half really did feel "specially destined" to go perfect , with Cover being as dramatic as it was, Range being so close and the Danger prop malfunction making the game easier - was cool to watch.

Cover Up was about as exciting a win as I've seen in that game since the 5-try one on Mother's Day. I knew immediately upon seeing the setup that the last digit would be -1, and that would be really tough to get for the average contestant. (I also knew 27k might cause an extra chance). Thankfully, this contestant managed to maximize her choices, and while she had three choices at the end for the last number, -66 really didn't look right. I still thought she might fall for -7, but it was good to see her take the right side of a 50/50 split. Proves that when everything goes just so, that low number that they're counting on for a loss in one of the columns can still be picked.

Unfortunately, Gas Money blew the perfection in typical fashion. Can we please have the setup just not be an extreme one time? But other than that blip, today had all the ingredients for a classic show, including Drew actually caring today and not messing around in Hi Lo. Was a nice surprise for what was supposed to just be a random filler episode. Now on to kids tomorrow..

Timings:
Cover Up (5) - 6:04
Range Game (4) - 3:27
Danger Price (4.5) - 4:07
Switch? (3.5) - 3:18
Gas Money (5.5) - 4:18
Hi Lo (5) - 5:13
Total (27.5): 25:27

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Recap posted.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but I'm kinda hoping the Danger Price malfunction means it will be replaced in future shows with Race Game and Take Two.  :-)

This was a great show, with the nice wins and the great moments. I hope we can keep this up.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
A 5/6 show - great! :biggrin:  They just HAD to play Gas Money though.  I knew a perfect show wasn't gonna happen as soon as Gas Money showed up.

The win on Range Game, the flip, and the Danger Price malfunction were great moments, IMO.

IMO, Drew killed the suspense in the Showcase round when he started with David; I knew Marie wasn't gonna be over or close enough for a DSW.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »
Really excellent show all around today, even if it was way out of order airdate/tapedate wise. :P

IMO, Drew killed the suspense in the Showcase round when he started with David; I knew Marie wasn't gonna be over or close enough for a DSW.

Huh? If he started with Marie it would have been even more un-suspenseful - EVERYONE knew David was way over.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Pretty nice show today.

I thought for sure when Drew's son came out, there'd be a plug for the kids special tomorrow.

Nice malfunction and win on Danger Price, and a nice, close win on Range Game.

Cover Up was really nice to watch today. Usually when I see Cover Up come on, the whole segment is boring to me, because I usually know the result (loss), but that wasn't the case today.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

I can't agree.  I thought it was far more obvious that David had overbid than that Marie had not overbid.  And as a general rule, you get more suspense from starting with the person whose bid is further from the ARP, regardless of over or under.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Really excellent show all around today, even if it was way out of order airdate/tapedate wise. :P

Huh? If he started with Marie it would have been even more un-suspenseful - EVERYONE knew David was way over.
Considering the fact he was bidding for a two-prize SC, so we saw the writing on the wall with that one.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
Did anyone else notice the red part of the range is crooked?  Where it stopped, the right side of the range was between 10,107 and 10,108 (which, technically, is a loss), but the left side of the range was touching the 10,107.  (Also, while I'm in nitpicky mode, the top of the range was touching 10,260, so it's actually a $153 range.)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:57 PM »
Did anyone else notice the red part of the range is crooked?  Where it stopped, the right side of the range was between 10,107 and 10,108 (which, technically, is a loss), but the left side of the range was touching the 10,107.  (Also, while I'm in nitpicky mode, the top of the range was touching 10,260, so it's actually a $153 range.)

Yeah, they give that extra "Wiggle Room" to allow for delay between contestant hitting the button and the operator stopping the range so that they get an extra second of leeway.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz