Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/17/2013  (Read 11369 times)

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/17/2013
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
THE GOOD: Cover Up being won in a dramatic fashion, even though it didn't take "every possible round" as Drew put it. And, you know, a 5/6 show is nice too, but it's more about the quality of wins than quantity.

THE BAD: Gas Money, lost again. Range Game, barely won - in fact I was thinking it should've been a loss - the range looked above the 107 mark to me. And a $32.99 grocery item in Hi-Lo doesn't do anything good for the game, all that does is make it "pick the highest 2 out of 5" instead of 3 from 6.

THE UGLY: David's WOTC in the Showcase, of course. And also the Danger Price malfunction... sure, it was a funny moment and the game was still won, but it could put the seed of doubt in Mike's head and make him think that yet another pricing game needs to be redone with a video screen. It's fine as is, just fix the problem please.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »
One Away made quite an awful noise when Drew revealed the price. I guess he held the button too long, and the electronics freaked out. I half expected sparks and smoke to come shooting out.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
One Away made quite an awful noise when Drew revealed the price. I guess he held the button too long, and the electronics freaked out. I half expected sparks and smoke to come shooting out.

That would be great if One Away was played tonight. ;)

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »

You meant Cover up?

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »
errr... sorry, yes.. Cover Up...   :oops:
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »
Range Game, barely won - in fact I was thinking it should've been a loss - the range looked above the 107 mark to me.

The rangefinder doesn't quite stop immediately.  If it's so close that it's hard to tell whether the rangefinder is covering the price or right above it, they should err on the side of awarding the win, since that means it was definitely covering the price when the contestant hit the button.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
Yeah, they give that extra "Wiggle Room" to allow for delay between contestant hitting the button and the operator stopping the range so that they get an extra second of leeway.
I do not believe that is what he said -- he noted that one side of the rangefinder was crooked, causing it to cover more than it should have.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »
I do not believe that is what he said -- he noted that one side of the rangefinder was crooked, causing it to cover more than it should have.

the top of the range was touching 10,260, so it's actually a $153 range.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »
Well now, Gas Money aside, this was definitely one of the most enjoyable shows this season, if not the most. As others have mentioned, it's not just that it was a 5/6, but just some of the moments in the games themselves that just made the whole thing fun to watch.

First of all, we finally get to see a Cover Up that feels like how Cover Up should feel: a dramatic working-out of the price by just slowly getting more numbers right until the final choice between only a few options. Definitely a great way to kick off a show, on a game that very rarely is worth talking about.

Then we get a Range Game on the extreme edge; always fun to just look at those kinds of wins as you try to make out just how close the arrow is to the rangefinder border... and it really was right on the border.

Danger Price was just funny with the freebie thanks to the prop malfunction. It also helped get us the perfect first half.

Switch? was pretty normal; it could have been won by the evens rule or just by pricing, and I can't tell how Marie won it, but she won it.

Nice to see Hi Lo again. The setup wasn't too bad; the supplement and the lotion were easy picks, so it really just came down to which of the remaining four were the most expensive, and the aluminum foil does stick out a bit as the most expensive of that group.

Also nice to see a contestant know when to go low on a Showcase, especially since David was pretty clearly over on SC1.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
Wow, what a great show!  There were lots of wins, the contestants were unusually good, and Drew actually hosted!  He was very watchable today -- almost Barkerish at times.

There were a lot of things today that reminded me of the old days, not the least of which was the blooper in Danger Price, which they didn't really do anything to try to work around (not that I see how they could have, but I'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't try).

IMO, Drew killed the suspense in the Showcase round when he started with David; I knew Marie wasn't gonna be over or close enough for a DSW.

I can't see how they could not have started with David -- it was terribly obvious that he'd gone over.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
I wonder what would have happened if one of the two that turned by themselves WAS the Danger Price. Or rather, the one that wasn't picked. Would it be a technical win?

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
There were a good number of crazy wins in this episode. Very enjoyable.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
I wonder what would have happened if one of the two that turned by themselves WAS the Danger Price. Or rather, the one that wasn't picked. Would it be a technical win?
I believe so, as long as it was not the prize the contestant had chosen prior to the blooper occurring.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
The rangefinder doesn't quite stop immediately.  If it's so close that it's hard to tell whether the rangefinder is covering the price or right above it, they should err on the side of awarding the win, since that means it was definitely covering the price when the contestant hit the button.

Fair enough. Saying it should've been a loss was a poor choice of words in retrospect, that's just how it looked to me at the time of the airing. A more accurate way of putting it would be to say that it was a debatable win (because, hey, look at all the debate  ;)).

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
Gotta see this one!

When was the last Drew 5/6 show?  How many "Perfect Shows" have existed in the Drew Era?

Joe