Author Topic: Happy 10th Anniversary, Golden-Road! (forums)  (Read 45357 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Happy 10th Anniversary, Golden-Road! (forums)
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how many of you all recognize this, but today is the 10th anniversary of Golden-Road.net's forums being active! Granted, the site itself has existed for longer than that, with Marc's stories and photos, but this is the forum version, originally called on this day in 2003 as a "bonus page." It's been an amazing ride, really, having been here through most of it, though certainly not all, someone like Steve (or someone who has been around all 10 forum years) would be better equipped to tell the story on that front.

As we hit this milestone, as a collective site, a fanbase, I think we should keep the spirit of Marc's intentions in mind, as we move forward: This is a place to discuss The Price is Right. Let me add this, to that: We should strive for high quality discussion of The Price is Right. As I've said before, this happens in lots of ways, in my opinion, primarily removing personal attacks, and really thinking about whether or not your post adds anything, can be backed by research (hey, there's great resources, use 'em!), is of substance, and so on. For instance, giving it your all in how you post is evident; I'm not calling anyone out here, but in the recaps, I notice a lot of people judge a show's quality based on the gameplay results themselves, and nothing else. Sure, that obviously means something, but it's clearly not everything; look at Drew's hosting. Good? Bad? When, why, and how so?

By ensuring this old standard of post quality, we promote long-term growth for the forum itself, and make the site a much more enjoyable experience for all, for now and the future. If we can do this, we might have our differences on Drew, Mike, etc., and while that's fine, it will remove the personal attacks, as well as making the site more user friendly, making even more members, making even more great discussion! What's not to like?

Aside from that, let's mention some of our best memories here throughout the years, of times long since past, of members since moved on, of times we wish we could repeat. I think this should be interesting, given everyone's vastly varying perspectives and longevity here. One of my notable ones was getting to cohost cu's MDS. With those setups, how crazy and funny everything was, it was what I like. What about you?

Let's start off the next 10 years on the right foot with this discussion, on both ends, of long-term improving quality and favorite site memories. We together can do this. I know I can-- can you?  :-)

~Prizes
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: Happy 10th Anniversary, Golden-Road! (forums)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Happy anniversary and many more to come G-R.net. :)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Happy 10th Anniversary.  :biggrin:
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I remember that the G-R.net version of this site went online right after MDS 4 aired.

...My God, the first MDSs were 10 years ago.  I'm freaking old.

I first found Marc's site while I was in high school, around '97 or '98.  If I remember correctly, the term "bonus page" referred to his at the time unbelievable collection of photos of the pricing game storage area.  (Who else remembers seeing Double Prices sitting in the Train? :))  The current site is a merger of that and Jeff Parsons's "The Price Is Right Update Message Board," which started in 1999; Marc became a moderator there in 2001 and ended up more or less running it after Jeff disappeared into that hectic realm known as real life.

It's hard to believe all of this grew out of a group of pictures and what I don't think any of us realized 14 years ago was a pretty crappy piece of forum software.  (For those who don't remember, Bravenet only saved the 250 most recent posts.)  Since then, we've gotten thousands of members, commissioned daily show recaps, written the FAQ, and established some pretty crazy relationships with the show.  (Hi, Roger!)  What's even crazier is that we've now been around in some form or another for over a third of the show's run.

I don't know what's coming next around here, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ASja2002

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
My favorite moments were my first and so-far only QSW and getting to run a hyo on the forums. I first saw this page in college 8 or 9 years ago, this and tpir.tv have been the best resources of archival items for The Price is Right. 3 years ago I went to see the show live in CA and had a blast.

All the best to everyone who strives to make Golden-Road the premier TPIR fanbase
First QSW!! 2/8/13

Everyone be careful out there!

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
Happy 10th Anniversary Golden-Road!  :biggrin:

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
10 years, eh?

That's really awesome. I've always loved this site, and I'm so glad it became and stayed popular over this 10 year span.  :-)

Now, regarding posting, I believe that the best thing to do to ensure quality threads and posts is focus. There's a lot of great threads on this site, and these threads have helped me know what's going on in real life, as well as allow me to unwind after a hard day of school.

However, there's still going to be some bad posts; it's inevitable. However, I hope that for the future, we can avoid commenting on them unnecessarily harshly and/or in public. After all, the person posting might not even see the flaws with it, so I believe pointing them out in a respectful but firm way will allow for more meaningful discussions and posts.

Also, I can't stress enough the importance of site functions like reporting and PMing. I believe that they give people a simple way to report certain posts without detracting from the discussions in the thread. As a result, the threads should be more focused, and the discussions more meaningful.

I point all of this out because, and I really can't stress this enough, I love this site.

It truly deserves the title of the best Price is Right site, and it helps keep me up to date on many things, not just the Price is Right.

Happy 10th anniversary, Golden-Road. May the next 10 years be filled with quality, focus, respect, and fruitful discussions.  :-)

Stop the madness.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 04:44:13 AM »
A most happy 10th Anniversary. My, how time has flown... :-)

Some of my favorite site memories (for one reason or another) include the "Welcome Troll!" incident, the half-hour MDS by "ilovesuperball", and Rich DiPirro thanking "my fellow fans" (and really, every post he made could qualify, especially this one).

Other notable memories (likely to not be good ones for some, but notable all the same) include the reaction threads to the Drew Carey "Pop My Culture" interview, Mike Richards addressing the "variety show" concerns (rather badly, it seems), and Game Show Garbage inducting the site (and since it does not appear to be linked anywhere on that site, here is what Seidelman wrote in response to Seth).

I point all of this out because, and I really can't stress this enough, I love this site.
And the fact you love the site is why you made this topic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:52:35 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »
I think this should say it all...*

I found out about the existence of this site some eight years ago. I wasn't too interested at joining at the time, so I didn't. I wish I had. This site is a special site. Through Marc's incredibly hard work, this site was granted access into its subject matter that other genre/fan boards could only dream of getting. Those beginning years before Roger left looked absolutely magical.

Just as the show hit a rough patch as they transitioned to a new EP for the first time in 20+ years, so did this site. And as the show has begun to descend to some type of normalcy (be it different from the normalcy of years past), so has this site. FPG returned, GRECO made a brief appearance, the Live Show was brought back. The wounds are starting to heal. The balance is starting to return. I look forward to what this site and the show has to offer as they both continue to level off.

I can't really pinpoint a favorite moment of mine. I will say that plenty of them have happened in Chat, an absolutely delightful resource. Most notably there was the reaction to Triple Play being last and watching John do a bit of winning on Wheel of Fortune.

Thank you Marc for fostering this site into what it is today. Thank you for having the drive to honor something that you loved and sharing it with the rest of the world.

*The Wayback Machine is an amazingly awesome tool.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline DarkShockBro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Celeste is the best.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
And the fact you love the site is why you made this topic.
I apologize for asking this, but was that sarcasm? I made that rant because I was concerned the direction the site was going, and wanted to improve it.

By the way, I'm still very thankful that prizes took the time to turn my rant into a meaningful discussion with his post, and I think that it has made the site better. There's still room for improvement, definitely, but I'm still very thankful at what prizes did to help me with the goal of my rant.  :-)

I love this site, and nothing is going to change that. If I can help improve it in any way, I'll be certain to put my all in doing so.  :-)
Stop the madness.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
I apologize for asking this, but was that sarcasm? I made that rant because I was concerned the direction the site was going, and wanted to improve it.
Not sarcasm in the least, sir -- I meant what I said in 100% seriousness. You love the site, ergo you saw what was happening, put your foot down, and said "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" (albeit not in precisely those words).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GSNSmashFan3

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My game show collection.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
Although I've only been here for approximately 1/5 of the site's current incarnation, I shall also wish it and everybody here a happy 10th anniversary. :)
HYO Winnings:
$46,241.21 (Participated in 6 games; on stage 4 times)

I love Clock Game!

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
Happy Anniversary to one of the ULTIMATE sites for fans of "The Price is Right"! If you're looking for great pics, they're here. Looking for Recaps? they're here! Looking for some funny & strange moments? they're here too, and many other things as well. I am glad to be part of this site. It was during some point when I was in high school (probably or most likely) when I became a member, and since then, we've had Drew hosting, then came Pauline's perfect check-out win, and the 2 $1,000,000 winners (or was it 3?), and then the perfect showcase bid which caused a bit of controversy. And we're just weeks away from having Big Money week, and the week where kids will be playing for some incredible prizes. Price has a LONG history, and although I don't watch it as often as I should, I do occasionally watch the show, but I like reading the recaps here. I am glad to be part of this great site, and here's to MANY, MANY more years of celebrating what I consider to be one of America's greatest TV game shows to roam the face of this earth!

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
Wow, I feel old.  I actually joined about a month and a half after the grand opening, but Marc accidentally deleted my account during an update to the Golden Gallery.  I must say this has been the first site a log-onto everyday- because this is the best site ever! Congrats to the mods on the 10-year anniversary!
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
I joined the forums back in November 2005, when I was still a sophomore in high school.  Now I'm going to start graduate school this fall; how time flies!

Through the ups and downs with the show, this site has stood the test of time, attracting all levels of fans and providing them with an environment where they can discuss one of their favorite television programs.  I remember seven years ago I started doing my Host Your Own series, and now I am the host of the recently resurrected live shows, and it's a great honor to be in that position.

Thanks to Marc, John, Seth, and all the other moderators that have come and gone over the years to make this site possible.  Here's to another 10 years!
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."