Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/25/2013 (Big Money Week: Day IV)  (Read 18982 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
TPiR Recap - 4/25/2013 (Big Money Week: Day IV)
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:40:18 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/25/2013 (Big Money Week Day IV)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »
I feel like a traitor.  Roger, I'm sorry.

Three Strikes Plus was awesome.  I mean, sure, it would've been better if she came closer to winning.  And if there were someone still at the show who'd have remembered about the plus sign.  But the logical part of my brain just shut down and I was squeeing.

On the other hand, it's hard to make Three Strikes not awesome, I guess.  Still, I enjoyed it, and now I feel guilty for enjoying it.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
The much I can say is: "Stupid Ferrari."

And a lot of us, including myself, had guessed that it was gonna be presented on 3X, and we were right. Now, we wish we were wrong.

If Mike wanted to present something that extravagant and expensive, it might have been best if he put on Golden Road (Probably would be a good chance if Therese left here with something on that game), and not on a uber-hard, 6-number (Seriously, Richards?) 3X...........

And a wipeout?!! Much like the Any # one a while back, that was pretty seldom seen.  Having to deal with that Super Kiss Of Death (Ferrari), Therese unfortunately had nothing but bad luck from beginning to end today.

I know this is Big Money Week and all, but in my defense, the ball was dropped on this one today. Better luck tomorrow.................
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:25:54 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
Aside from the Ferrari, quite possibly the greatest moment from this show, in Let 'Em Roll:

Drew: "Do you want to keep the $1000?"
Marc: "NO! NO, I DON'T WANT A THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

Also, you can't help but just feel awful for Therese...

I know this is Big Money Week and all, but in my defense, the ball was dropped on this one today. Better luck tomorrow.................

I couldn't disagree more. This was quite an enjoyable show.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
That Ferrari had more options than a Five Guys Burger.

While 3 Strikes was just so much fun - I know it was really hard, but just seeing six-digit 3 Strikes was a treat - Let 'Em Roll was my highlight.  Everything about that segment was great, from the setup, the contestant not being fooled by the Allegra, and the great energy overall.

It's a shame this 5/6 show will only be remembered for the Strikes loss, but it's still a great one.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
Aside from the Ferrari, quite possibly the greatest moment from this show, in Let 'Em Roll:

Also, you can't help but just feel awful for Therese...

I couldn't disagree more. This was quite an enjoyable show.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the wins today, even the one from Let 'Em Roll where the contestant was a little premature on the 2nd roll (That was funny), but I was ticked off on Strikes today. Basically what I meant is that the ball was dropped on how Mike presented the Ferrari. Despite that and a DOB, everything else I did enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:40:27 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
A Ferrari? Yeesh.  :-o

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »
*Sigh* I really wanted to enjoy 6 digit 3 Strikes, but I couldn't quite do it. While I made fun of the contestant some in chat, I can't really blame her too much for thinking a Ferrari was $700,000 or $800,000 - people don't price Ferraris every day. Thus, adding a sixth digit to 3 Strikes does in fact make the game harder because the first digit is clearly not obvious. I mean, someone who goes from 100k to 700k clearly has no clue. Making the vehicle over $200,000 with a 1 in the price especially can lead to traps. And then there was the fact that if anyone did know about the price of that model of car, there was over $27,000 (!) of options added on. It was all just a bit ridiculous. Frank, I loved the 6 digit 3 Strikes idea from the first time I ever saw it on your show, so much so that I've borrowed it for some of my infamous IM HYOs, but I think today was a good demonstration of why it doesn't really work on the show. It was also a good demonstration of how neurotic Mike can be - were all those options REALLY necessary? Clearly the thing was not going to get won anyway. Imagine how long it WOULD take to get won if the contestant didn't know the first number to start with and had to take several stabs at it. We'd have to play Double Prices 5 times for the rest of the games!

Apart from that, this show was actually pretty darn good. The LER win was very exciting and well-done, although the contestant thinking he'd won early was amusing. It was nice to see a comeback though after a rough start with just one car on the first roll. Besides that, everything else was set up to be really easy today, for which I'll definitely give them credit for realizing as much of a rebound as possible would be needed after the Ferrari was lost.

Timings:
3 Strikes (7) - 7:46
Coming Or Going (3.5) - 3:11
Cliff Hangers (4.5) - 4:05
One Wrong Price (3.5) - 3:00
Let 'em Roll (5.5) - 4:51
Freeze Frame (4) - 3:00
Total (27.5): 25:52

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
3X: Very little hope that the Ferrari would be won & it was a shutout.

CoG: Easy.

C-H: I'm not sure why Drew & most of the audience were so worried about Jeanne's guess on the carafe.

OWP: Easy, because steam showers are getting expensive these days.

LER: Nice win by Marc- thank goodness that Allegra didn't get him, or else he wouldn't have had the car!

Freeze: Today in the PGs, we did about as well we could without having that Ferrari won.

Showcases: Therese, the only PG loser today, sadly goes to the land of one-bid gifts after a DOB.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
I figured the Ferrari would have been played in 3 Strikes....which was cool to see. However, I think Golden Road would have been a better game to play.....if anything because it hasn't been played in a while. Also, it would have been easier for Mike to have played Golden Road so she could blow it on the second prize and not even make it to the car. He can't control 3 Strikes the way he could with Golden Road.

Would it have killed them to give the first number for free today? It would have made the game more exciting and then she wouldn't have blown two pulls by thinking the car was $600K or $800K...she may have actually been able to light numbers up.

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
There's a lot to munch on in the 3 Strikes segment.

6 numbers and 3 strikes? 5 numbers and 3 strikes is making the game unreasonably hard to begin with. I still think there's nothing wrong with 5 numbers and 1 strike repeated over (I realize that 4 numbers and 3 strikes is traditional, but it was changed for very good reasons when cars moved up to 5 digits). And, yes, you could say that this is 'appropriate difficulty' for a $280,000 car, but that brings up other issues. They could keep putting Ferraris (or similar, like Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, Mercedes SLSs, McLarens, etc.) like this on the show, and have a low enough chance of someone actually getting the price right while still enjoying the hype, pomp, and circumstance, and in the amazingly wild chance that someone actually does get it, the taxes will wreck havoc without someway to quickly flip the car around for money (or find someone that will finance a car note on a large amount of taxes, which would still be the equivalent of an expensive luxury car). What happened in the playing was probably exactly what was wanted. Therese was making wild guesses like $8##,### and $6##,###, and while the show's obviously not going to give away a car like that in daytime, and while even a Ferrari like the one shown isn't going to cost anywhere near that much (the last one I believe did was the limited-production Enzo, which eclipsed $1,000,000), it's also easy to see how she could get flustered like that. Most people probably don't even know what in the world price range a Ferrari is supposed to fall under to begin with. I wasn't excited by the Ferrari appearance (spoiled in advance commercials, but that again was likely to build hype and ratings in the frequently mentioned "first half"), and, rather than waiting in anticipation to see if Therese was going to fill the numbers up and get it down to the wire, I was sitting and waiting in anticipation for her to draw the eventual third strike, since she obviously had no idea where in the world to place anything (and I'm sure most wouldn't). The 6-digit format and difficult to price car also invites a lot of number repetition, which further exaggerated the waiting-for-the-third-strike-to-drop feeling (incidentally, Drew did exactly that--drop the third strike, or more precisely, sling it across the stage).

I was really hoping for Golden Road. It hasn't been played in awhile, and it's not like its win record isn't abysmal with Drew, anyway. This would have fit in real nicely with the spirit of the show, and what a Big Money/high-budget Golden Road would look like. The car would have still been hard to reach, but wouldn't be absurd like this mad version of Stack the Deck, requiring an actual alteration to the gameplay itself, something Big Money week has thus far avoided doing. Again like I said above, the Ferrari appearing offered me no surprise or suspense other than perhaps placing bets on how many more numbers before strike three shows up. 3 Strikes has been ruined before (4-digit pricings of 5-digit Dodge Avengers), and the game just didn't have the same appeal of hearing George Gray shout without warning, "It's a new Lexus/Audi/Cadillac!" with what was proven to be a couple of season ago an unnecessarily difficult, but still very much winnable game. I feel it was ruined today, as well.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the excitement of the contestant and others in the studio was a lot higher, sitting/standing there live, and I wouldn't have all minded taking Therese's place in playing the game, instead. I also don't think all of the options not being there would have helped Therese any. The fact that the show was capped off with a Double Overbid drove the stake down further. Marc in Let 'em Roll and his attitude was easily the most exciting thing I saw behind my screen. The fact that the Hyndai Elantra cost a 'mere' $17,000 compared to $280,000 was no loss of excitement to me over watching 3 Strikes.

I have a feeling tomorrow's game, which the commercial bumpers have shown us all, is going to bring the real excitement to Big Money week.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
I can't help but compare today's playing of 3 Strikes to when 5-digit cars began making an appearance on the show.  I read of at least one instance, but there's probably more, of a contestant picking a high number for the first number of a 5-digit car, thinking it was a 4-digit car.  Same thing happened here.  A contestant picked 8 and 6 for the first digit of the car, even though the only possible choices seemed to be 1 and 2.  I wish we could've seen at least a few numbers lit up before she got three strikes.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »
. . . quite possibly the greatest moment from this show, in Let 'Em Roll:

It's a damn shame that there aren't MORE moments like this anymore.  Todd's right, but I think he got it wrong when he said "for this show".  One of the best moments PERIOD in recent years. 

And jimlange, had Therese won the Ferrari, I would have had NO PROBLEM with VickiAnn's record being toast, and if you can't see the difference, then no explanation I can give would help.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
I think the idea of 6 digit 3 strikes is fun, but in practice it lead to a really boring gameplay experience to watch.
Maybe i would have felt like she had a shot if they gave her the first number free and then played the game like normal. Right from the beginning I had that "welp, this isn't happening. why bother?" feeling and then the string of "NO"'s popping up after were the proof.

Was excited to see Let Em Roll show up today and then on top of that it was an awesome playing. That was the highlight of this show for me. 
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
And jimlange, had Therese won the Ferrari, I would have had NO PROBLEM with VickiAnn's record being toast, and if you can't see the difference, then no explanation I can give would help.

So you're fine if its won via a really hard setup 3 Strikes but not if its won via a easy setup Pay the Rent? .....

Are you aware Vicky Ann won her first car in Push Over?

Are you aware the 2nd Top winner, Denise won Lucky Seven on a $45,675 Car. (Seriously, how much more easier can Lucky Seven get?)

All these things require luck to some extent, no real reason to completely discredit someone just because of how easy the game was set up. If Ani bid well enough to get a DSW, she fully deserved to be #1.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz