Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/25/2013 (Big Money Week: Day IV)  (Read 18974 times)

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/25/2013 (Big Money Week Day IV)
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
Nah, I hated it too.  It does have its exciting moments sometimes, but in general I groan when a car's revealed and it's obvious they're about to play 3X.  It's was always my grandpa's least favorite game and was mine too until Rent premiered.  A lot of it has to do with the luck factor and that you can lose even if you knew the exact price from the beginning.  Yeah, I know some other games are like that, but they don't bother me as much because they're normally played for relatively small stakes and not $40K+ automobiles.  And Plinko's luck factor doesn't bother me so much because even though the full amount is next to impossible, players will still hit the $10K often enough, whereas in 3X it's all or nothing.

The Ferrari was really stupid, because your average TPIR contestant is going to have no idea what the hell it costs, which really showed.  Therese was off by over half a million dollars with one of her guesses, and even I was shocked when the 1 didn't go in the first slot.  And even if she did win, there's practically no way she'd have the cash to pay the taxes on it.  In the end it just marred what was a pretty good episode otherwise.
And in all honesty, you really don't see a average person driving a way-too-expensive European sports car these days, anyway. As you pointed out, it might have been best if she didn't win it, considering the taxes she have to pay.

Plus, there was one thing I failed to point out: After the game was over, Drew somehow wanted Therese to walk up to the Ferrari and touch it. What was the point in that? I mean, it's not like she won it, much less put a number on the board.

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Plus, there was one thing I failed to point out: After the game was over, Drew somehow wanted Therese to walk up to the Ferrari and touch it. What was the point in that? I mean, it's not like she won it, much less put a number on the board.
It's not like it's the first time. Some recent contestants who failed to win the grand prize in Golden Road also got the right to touch it (most likely for good luck in the rest of the show).
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
It's not like it's the first time. Some recent contestants who failed to win the grand prize in Golden Road also got the right to touch it (most likely for good luck in the rest of the show).
Ironically, many people, like myself, still don't understand why GR wasn't played instead of 3X.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
Here's how i would have tweaked 3 Strikes...throw out the call the position of the number in the price of the car....chances were that she still would have pulled the Three Strikes anyway...

Uh... So where does the pricing come in?

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
Ironically, many people, like myself, still don't understand why GR wasn't played instead of 3X.
Maybe they want a bigger challenge, for once. Just didn't work out today.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
All I'm going to say about 6-digit 3 Strikes is, they could have gone back to the 1-strike rule and the game still probably would have been plenty hard.

Anyways. It was still a 5/6 show (albeit with a DOB), and Let 'em Roll in particular was a fantastic segment. I'm glad he didn't get fooled by the cheap Allegra; it gave him the extra roll he needed to win.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
The last 5 digits were entirely a crapshoot.
By that logic, it shouldn't have been offered in Golden Road, either:

"WOW, look, at the price, Therese!  $285 thousand....something 16.  Now, is the price of the car:
$285,416
$285,716
$285,116, or
$285,016?

Pick the right number, and you'll win the Ferrari!!!"

How is that not anything other than a random guess?
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
By that logic, it shouldn't have been offered in Golden Road, either:

"WOW, look, at the price, Therese!  $285 thousand....something 16.  Now, is the price of the car:
$285,416
$285,716
$285,116, or
$285,016?

Pick the right number, and you'll win the Ferrari!!!"

How is that not anything other than a random guess?

When did I ever say it should not be offered in 3 Strikes and should be offered in Golden Road? I LOVE the fact that it was offered, that doesn't take away, however, how nearly impossible it was to win it. At least in Golden Road if you get to it you have a 25% Chance of winning it.

Just because something is entirely a crap-shoot doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered in that game. I simply thought that they should have at least given the first number free. Also, compare the odds of winning Golden Road's total crap-shoot with the odds of winning 6-Digit 3 Strikes' total crap-shoot....yeah, thought so.

With 3 Strikes, usually, if someone has a general idea of car prices, they have a good idea of the first number and a pretty good idea of the 2nd number. In this case, even someone with a knowledge of Ferrari's would have a hard time because Ferrari's fluctuate so much with these options that it could have been $210,000 or $250,000 or $280,000.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
If Bob handled the situation in 3 Strikes, he would have chided the contestant for guessing 6 or 8 as the 1st number.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
If Bob handled the situation in 3 Strikes, he would have chided the contestant for guessing 6 or 8 as the 1st number.

I don't know about that.

After seeing that the 1 wasn't the first number, anything could happen.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 11:17:19 PM »
A $285,000 Ferrari up for grabs on The Price is Right in 2013...

Not a chance in hell this ended well.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
You know, I'm conflicted about 3 Strikes Plus.

On one hand...yay! 3 Strikes Plus! I actually rather enjoyed that segment...despite knowing that there wasn't a chance in hell it was being won.

On the other hand...it's further proof of how stuff that's fun to do in HYOs (like I did on my MDS) doesn't always work as well on the real show. We are not the average contestant...the average contestant...well, doesn't obsess over prices like we do. The setup really didn't help, either...all six numbers were essentially total crapshoots. Add to that the uber-expensive options, and that doesn't end well for the contestant...and comes off badly on television.

The rest of the show more than made up for it, though. Marc was one of the best contestants on the show in years...though something about him rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. Still, his raw enthusiasm was nice to see, and it seemed genuine, not the forced, robotic  excitement we see so much these days.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
Maybe they want a bigger challenge, for once. Just didn't work out today.
It would've worked. But on a different game and not Strikes...............

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
You definitely are entitled to your own opinion, but I am as well.
I still don't see why anyone on Earth would be happy about a contestant not DSW'ing.

I never said I was HAPPY about a contestant NOT DSW'ing.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:20 AM »
Okay, concerning Therese, I did admit I was taken aback when she said 6 and 8 as her guesses for the first number.  I mean "Seriously?"  But then again, I didn't do much better myself---I thought the Ferrari was $100,000 plus.  $200,000 would have been my second guess.

Concerning the price itself: $285,716....that was an EVIL price.  In my honest opinion, the odds of winning Three Strikes today with that kind of a price was 99.9% not in anybody's favor.

During the showcase round I thought it was a class act that Audrey passed the Truck showcase so that Therese could have a shot at it since Therese lost Three Strikes.  Too bad it was an overbid.