Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/1/2013  (Read 11869 times)

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/1/2013
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Actually, Side-by-Side and Double Cross were the ones won. Bonus Game wasn't.

Yeah, just realized that :oops: . Thanks for pointing it out, but it's too late to modify now.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
Well, the bonus window is more visible for a loss than for a win, at least.  It still doesn't have nearly the same flourish as the old reveal, though.
I certainly agree with you. And even worse, just as I wrote the last time it was played, with the new display and all, I still get the impression that the location of the bonus could be changed at any time before reveal. (Not saying that it would be.) We still get the classic turntable shot (and I like), but I just don't have the enthusiasm I once had for the game. 

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:45 PM »
And even worse, just as I wrote the last time it was played, with the new display and all, I still get the impression that the location of the bonus could be changed at any time before reveal. (Not saying that it would be.)

It can't be. It simply can't be. Ever since the game show scandals way back in the day a system has been put in place where a third party oversees the show to make sure no "funny business" happens. It is called "Standards and Practices" and I'm sure it knows where the Bonus is before the game starts and makes sure it stays there the whole time.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to most of the games due to multitasking, but I do have a comment on Cover Up... I know this is never ever going to occur to Joe Plinko on stage, but for those of us in the LFaT category, has anyone ever considered intentionally blowing the first or second number (when the first two are obvious) in order to get three guaranteed turns?

Depending on the setup, this isn't always possible (or advisable), but it was present today, where 16 was the only viable combo for the first two digits on the Accent (because no car today is going to be 10/12, and an Accent is nowhere near 30+). It would've been possible to intentionally miss either the 1 or 6 and get it right on the second attempt, chewing through several incorrect numbers on the back end and helping shorten the odds a bit.

Just an interesting observation I made a while back, and I was wondering if others had made it as well.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
#6411 - Cover, Rangey, Danger, Switch?, Gassy, H-L. WWWWLW (a de facto 6313K stopgap)
#6333 - Cover, Sidey, Bonus, Crossy, H-L, Gassy. LWLWLL

Appreciate Bonus, but otherwise so so lazy. And I dunno, regular SP AND GP in the same show doesn't work when the two car games are hard, and all four are lost. Wasted show.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
#6411 - Cover, Rangey, Danger, Switch?, Gassy, H-L. WWWWLW (a de facto 6313K stopgap)

Appreciate Bonus, but otherwise so so lazy. And I dunno, regular SP AND GP in the same show doesn't work when the two car games are hard, and all four are lost. Wasted show.

I don't get it. Is it even possible to go a season of lineups without having 3 games overlap in 2 lineups? I really don't see how this is "lazy".
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
Yesterday show was good & Drew did a good job hosting it.
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
I don't get it. Is it even possible to go a season of lineups without having 3 games overlap in 2 lineups? I really don't see how this is "lazy".
Maybe if the overlapping games weren't hard car games / same two just swapping slots, and it wasn't so close to each other, I wouldn't care as much.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
I don't know what possessed Adam to create a completely normal lineup with a car game, a non-cash fee game that wasn't Cliff Hangers, and a quickie game in each half, but I'm certainly not complaining.

If I ever hear Drew utter or, heaven forbid, sing the phrase, "Lovely Rob," ever again, so help me, I will reach through the television and strangle him.

I like the Bonus Game loss animation.  I hope they've programmed something similar to replace that stupid win animation from a few weeks ago.

I like Gas Money, but like several other games, I'm so sick of it being set up for a loss every time it's played.

Does it bother anyone else that the right prices in Double Cross involved not doing anything?  It feels like having the first price right in Push Over, just something that shouldn't be done.

It doesn't bother me as much as the first price in Push Over being right would, but yeah, there should probably be a way to set the board so that it's not highlighting any single price on either line.

Actually, Double Cross is generally played for more expensive prizes (and rightfully so).

It also has a different game-play mechanic, which makes it easier than those games.

You'll forgive me if I don't understand how these two statements mesh with one another.

It can't be. It simply can't be. Ever since the game show scandals way back in the day a system has been put in place where a third party oversees the show to make sure no "funny business" happens. It is called "Standards and Practices" and I'm sure it knows where the Bonus is before the game starts and makes sure it stays there the whole time.

This is not the argument being made.  The argument is that from the perception of a casual viewer, the new board, which is entirely computer-generated, looks like it would be easier to modify on the fly than the old one.  In fact, I suspect that's probably true, regardless of whether anyone would actually do it.

Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to most of the games due to multitasking, but I do have a comment on Cover Up... I know this is never ever going to occur to Joe Plinko on stage, but for those of us in the LFaT category, has anyone ever considered intentionally blowing the first or second number (when the first two are obvious) in order to get three guaranteed turns?

Many, many times.  There are even a couple contestants who've done it (as opposed to missing the first number as a result of being stupid, which has also happened).

I, for one, did not miss this in those two weeks during which you weren't posting.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
Any reason why you don't think lineup recycling is a big deal, Steve?

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
You'll forgive me if I don't understand how these two statements mesh with one another.

You're right, I even confused myself. If I could edit it now, I would. Too bad the edit window is only 10 minutes. :P

This is not the argument being made.  The argument is that from the perception of a casual viewer, the new board, which is entirely computer-generated, looks like it would be easier to modify on the fly than the old one.  In fact, I suspect that's probably true, regardless of whether anyone would actually do it.

Could have fooled me. By what he said, I thought he was talking about his perception, not the casual viewers.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
And now we know what a Bonus Game loss looks like. Seeing the word "BONUS" on a red background proved that my instincts were right on the money.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »
Any reason why you don't think lineup recycling is a big deal, Steve?

The fact that you even notice it somewhat dumbfounds me.

Adam is not good at lineups, but I somehow doubt he's as conscious of this happening as you are.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
If he's not conscious of it, he really shouldn't be making them, should he?

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
Thanks Steve. And very well-said.