Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2013 (TPiR Kids Special 2013)  (Read 31839 times)

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/3/2013 (TPiR Kids Special 2013)
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:13:50 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there were general regulations saying that if you appeared on any game show within the past X number of years, you cannot be on any one again until that time is up. I might be thinking of something else, though.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there were general regulations saying that if you appeared on any game show within the past X number of years, you cannot be on any one again until that time is up. I might be thinking of something else, though.

You are correct, it is not a big number though, I believe it might even be 1 year for someone trying to be on Price.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
You may not have been on any one game show (national, local, or otherwise) in the past year, or more than two in the past 10.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:22:50 PM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
Okay, Mike, I've got two suggestions for you:

1. Next time you do this, make the setups easy, so that the show can be kid-friendly in terms of wins.

2. Never do this again.

This show just went wrong. Never mind that there was no business setting up LER for 2 rolls on a kids' show; there is no reason anyone should be giving up $4,000 for a 1/16 chance at a car... but of course, a kid's going to want to roll again even if there was $7,500 on the table. And having to have the parents make the final decision, whether or not they're influenced by the kids, just makes for some awkward moments all around.

I'm normally pretty accepting of the weird stuff that the Price folks try to do. This was just painful to watch, though.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »
Wow.  That certainly was...um...something.

I know there are times when you take your kid seriously and other times when you don't, but I think Erin may need to swap hers around.  She ignored her son when he was giving her the right answer for the peanut butter, thereby costing them a third roll...but when he wanted her to roll four cubes again instead of quitting with $4,000, then she listened to him.

There are moments when I merely dislike Drew, and then there are moments when I genuinely wonder what the hell is wrong with him.  Mocking Jacquelyn for being overly polite to him before Plinko definitely falls into the latter category.

10 years from now, when his twins graduate from college, Marc will be able to pull out their recording of this episode and show everyone the time they yelled, "I want to put it down!" and talked over the host of The Price Is Right so they could argue over whose bedroom their prizes would go in if they won their pricing game, all on national television.

Sally was a brat.  There is no excuse for some obnoxious kid chanting, "Go over!  Go over!  Go over!" while somebody else is spinning the Big Wheel, and the only thing more disgusting than the fact that it even happened is that her mother didn't immediately slap her across the face and march her out of the studio.  My mother would have killed me if I'd pulled something like that.  They should both be ashamed of themselves, and the fact that they ended up winning the Showcase, especially instead of Suzanne and Jacquelyn, is an absolute travesty.

If you go to a whole lot of extra effort to promote your big "We have kids on for the first time ever!!!" episode, and the most interesting thing about it ends up being that Balance Game got played first, you are probably doing something wrong.

I will say that Jacquelyn came off as mature for her age and seemed like a very nice person.  She was the only kid who stood out for any positive reason, and I sincerely hope the rest of her life goes better than Plinko did.

Overall, though, this episode did not reflect well on the contestants, the kids, or the show itself.  Mark Goodson is probably rolling over in his grave tonight.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
there is no reason anyone should be giving up $4,000 for a 1/16 chance at a car...

For what it is worth, I would give up $4,000 for a 1/16 chance at a car. Then again, I'm a nut and a gambler and would also risk upwards of $10,000, so there's that too. :P

However, yeah, kids are just going to want to roll it out, and I don't necessarily blame them. $4,000 isn't going to pay for much of College in the year 2022. :P

Mark Goodson is probably rolling over in his grave tonight.

Mark must be a very busy man, constantly rolling over in his grave over every episode of Price that someone on here deems roll-worthy. ;)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
I'm not a fan of"playing in pairs." specials and much prefer TPIR be played individually. But I loved Sally. I loved her "go over" chants. Were I a contestant I would've done the same thing or close to. The other players spinning the wheel are your OPPONENTS. You're SUPPOSED to want your opponents to go over so you can advance to the showcase. I LOVED the way Sally expressed this and was happy to see Sally and her mom win the showcase.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Except that rooting for another contestant to fail is completely against the spirit of the show. Price is a happy show. You're supposed to root for your fellow contestants to do well. Everyone's in it together. It's not about the prizes, or even winning...it's about the experience. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. What matters is that you were on The Price is Right, and that you had a good time. Having somebody else screaming and openly rooting for you to fail ruins that experience.

Besides, it's unsportsmanlike. Wanting to win is fine...but screaming "GO OVER!" makes you come off as a sore loser. Nobody likes a sore loser.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
But I loved Sally. I loved her "go over" chants. Were I a contestant I would've done the same thing or close to. The other players spinning the wheel are your OPPONENTS. You're SUPPOSED to want your opponents to go over so you can advance to the showcase. I LOVED the way Sally expressed this and was happy to see Sally and her mom win the showcase.

Then I sincerely hope you are never a contestant, because seeing that once was way more than enough.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
Except that rooting for another contestant to fail is completely against the spirit of the show. Price is a happy show. You're supposed to root for your fellow contestants to do well. Everyone's in it together. It's not about the prizes, or even winning...it's about the experience. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. What matters is that you were on The Price is Right, and that you had a good time. Having somebody else screaming and openly rooting for you to fail ruins that experience.

Besides, it's unsportsmanlike. Wanting to win is fine...but screaming "GO OVER!" makes you come off as a sore loser. Nobody likes a sore loser.
It's just goes to show you that nobody likes a "Debbie Downer", a "Negative Nancy", or whatever.............

So the way Sally was acting really indicates that she doesn't really understand the concept on how a game show is supposed to be: It is about winning. It is about having fun. It is about rooting for the contestant to go all the way. However, it is not about trying be a jinx and ruin it for everybody.

She might not know that right now, seeing that she's just a kid, but when she gets to be 18 or 20 (Depending on "the coming back after 10 years" thing) and be legal to participate again on Price or any other game show, it's a possibility that she will in time.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 03:23:32 AM »
I will admit, I actually kind of liked how Sally was expressing her desire for the others to go over, because we all know that's what all the other contestants are thinking while watching others spin.  :P

Well, there's also how Drew always seems to cheer for the current spinner to beat the current leader, even though of course the current leader wants to win, too.

Not saying what Sally did was what good girls should do, but this episode was enough of a trainwreck that at that point, I just didn't care.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
I've seen bull riding wrecks that weren't as painful to watch as this episode.

Completely agree with Steve about Goodson rolling over in this grave.
1,685 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
It IS about winning. You play to win the game. Hello! You play to win the game!
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

...There is a difference between playing to win and being a poor sport and obnoxious. Rooting for yourself to win is different than rooting for someone else to lose.

Put yourself in the other persons place. Would you enjoy getting yelled at "GO OVER GO OVER GO OVER"?

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »

Hello, Herm Edwards.
Signatures are overrated.