Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea: Loose ¢hange  (Read 1223 times)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
New Pricing Game Idea: Loose ¢hange
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »
I can't remember if I've suggested this game or not before.  However, this is a slightly different version than the one I had an idea of before.  So here goes anyway.

Played for: Up to $100,000 (That's not a typo)

The game is similar to Mystery Price.  The contestant is presented with a grocery product, which costs 95¢ or less.  The contestant must correctly bank enough "loose change" in order to cover the cost of the grocery item.  If they do, they win $10,000 (not a typo).

In order to bank their "loose change", they are presented with a ball roll down ramp, similar to this item here.  The slots are numbered with amounts varying from 1¢-50¢, depending on how much banked change they have (they change every turn).  If, it any point in the game, the contestant goes over 99¢ (i.e. gets $1 or more in change), the game is over and the contestant wins nothing.  The contestant can take as many turns as he/she wants, as long as they don't go over 99¢, and can stop whenever they feel they have enough change to cover the grocery item.  Should they decide to stop and have enough money to cover the item, they win $10,000; if not, they lose.

Here's where the $100,000 comes in.  Should the contestant reach at least 95¢, they automatically win the $10,000, as they will know they have enough change to cover the grocery item.  If they wish, they can then bet their $10,000 and keep playing.  Should the contestant reach 99¢ exactly, they win the $100,000.  Of course, if they go over 99¢ at any time, they lose their $10,000.

The roll-down gameplay is identical to an arcade game I remember as a child.  It even played the Price is Right theme and used "Come on Down!" as its catchphrase.  Of course, that was played for tickets and not money.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Loose ¢hange
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
The only problem I see with it is that it's not really a "pricing" game. All they have to price is one item, the grocery product which is under 95¢. (There aren't that many grocery products under that amount today either) It's more of an arcade game like Superball! was, except with less pricing.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »
The problem I see is that nobody cares about this particular arcade game.  In my 28 years on this earth, I have never seen a single pop-culture reference to it.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
I see an ALMOST similarity to Pay the Rent as well, but with a different twist.

Reason being is that it's played for $100,000 & the fact that you can either stop or risk the $10,000.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:41:17 PM by jwatson2973 »

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
Here's a modification idea:

Make the game for a four-digit "Check Game"-esque prize instead of for money.

Instead of guessing the price of a GP that is less than $1.00 (how many are there, anyway?), make it for the item itself.  Change the values to $100, $500, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, and $0.  (examples; subject to change)

A SP is presented, and you are given five choices for its price.  Each price has a selected range ($500; $1,000; $2,000; $3,000; $4,000) attached to it.  (On the Nose pricing scheme, for sure.)  The ARP has the largest range; the furthest price away has the $500 range.

The contestant rolls until he feels confident the price is close enough to the ARP of the primary prize.  I'd say it should be okay whether they are over, because otherwise it rips from Card Game a bit much.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.