Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 5111 times)

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
Xbox One
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/meet-xbox-one

Microsoft officially announced today that the new Xbox console will be called the Xbox One. One of the features I am looking forward to is the partnership with the NFL, which will include live fantasy football updates on your screen.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/microsoft-announces-partnership-with-nfl

Go ahead and share your thoughts on the new system.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
I'm calling it now...

FLOP..
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
Seth showed me an interesting graph of rising stock prices from during the launch announcement for this thing.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, the stocks in question were Sony's.  Their own stock went down.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
I'm calling it now...

FLOP..

But enough about the Wii U.

I think the entire generation - natch, the industry - is completely lost on what gamers like and are more focused on getting money regardless of product quality.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
It seems that not only will the console not be backwards-compatible with the 360, but all games must be installed on the hard drive and lending/giving/selling your copy to another user will require that person to pay a fee to actually play it. The latter seems to be to deter sales of "used copies" at EB Games, Gamestop, Play 'N' Trade, Gorilla Games, etc. (or "borrow a game" services like Gamefly), but in reality it harms everyone because you are no longer able to borrow a game from a friend to determine whether it is worth your money.

That, and "Xbox One" is a rather strange title for the third Xbox console. Why not "Xbox 720" (which in turn would lead to the original Xbox being nicknamed "Xbox 180") or "Xbox Next"?

"Angry Joe", who watched the press conference, shared his thoughts here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:24:56 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
And it seems the fee may be the ARP of the game.

So between that, mandatory Kinect in my somewhat box-like apartment and the fact that if it doesn't go online for a day it STOPS WORKING... no buys.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
It seems that not only will the console not be backwards-compatible with the 360, but all games must be installed on the hard drive and lending/giving/selling your copy to another user will require that person to pay a fee to actually play it. The latter seems to be to deter sales of "used copies" at EB Games, Gamestop, Play 'N' Trade, Gorilla Games, etc. (or "borrow a game" services like Gamefly), but in reality it harms everyone because you are no longer able to borrow a game from a friend to determine whether it is worth your money.

This.  In addition to curtailing sales of secondhand games, an intent for this restriction is to combat piracy, but there are other things that can be done to address that, in my opinion (stronger copy-protections on the discs, just to name one).  This restriction will probably fail like Circuit City's Divx fiasco from 15 years ago (users who bought a Divx disc had an initial 48-hour viewing period, but afterward had to pay for each viewing of that disc.  Users could purchase the disc for unlimited viewings, but it would only work on that one player.  Consumers were outraged and the format was dropped within a year).

Personally, I'm a PlayStation user and I'll be picking up Gran Turismo 6 later this year.  Maybe when I finish graduate school and have a career in 2015 or so, I'll buy a PS4.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:47:57 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline kianworld

• In Contestant's Row
  • More of a lurker now.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
Is it sad that I found it more interesting that they were using TPiR as the example for the seamless switch from TV to Xbox?

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
No thanks. I'll stick with Nintendo, quality gameplay over quality graphics.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
I saw that on Spike, which is now the only place I can find anything video game-related now that G4 is no more and replaced with the Esquire Channel this summer ( >:().

As for Xbox One, I hardly care about the new Call Of Duty they were presenting. Nothing against some of the COD fans out there, but I'm more of a fighting game fanatic. But the console itself? It's pretty much "TiVo for gamers", so................Nah.

The Angry Joe response regarding this was really funny, seeing how many F-bombs he dropped ( :oldlol:), but he sure does speak the truth. So he's basically saying wait for PS4, and that's what I'm gonna do.........Seeing that I'm more of a Playstation man, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:16:19 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 05:09:05 AM »
And the issue would be....what, exactly? Not interested, don't watch. Problem solved in one easy step.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:49 AM »
Circuit City's Divx fiasco from 15 years ago
I have never heard of this, and yet I shudder at the fact that someone in a position of power thought this was a good idea.

Also, something to add to what I said before:
The latter seems to be to deter sales of "used copies" [...] but in reality it harms everyone because you are no longer able to borrow a game from a friend to determine whether it is worth your money.
Under the Xbox One plan, you have to borrow the copy from your friend, pay the fee to play it with your Gamertag, and install the game to your hard drive to determine whether it was worth the (precedent with Xbox Live products suggests "non-refundable") money you spent.

And if you happen to not like the game? Well, the fact you paid a fee just to play it is likely telling you that you should slog through it to justify your paying that fee. Otherwise, it is taking up space on your hard drive and deleting it still puts you out of some money.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
Xbox One is the single greatest marketing campaign imaginable for Sony's PS4

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Seth showed me an interesting graph of rising stock prices from during the launch announcement for this thing.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, the stocks in question were Sony's.  Their own stock went down.

That happened, but for unrelated reasons. A mistaken, or misinterpreted report on Sony led to a rise coincidental to the timing of the Xbox announcement.