Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 5112 times)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:48 AM »
And the issue would be....what, exactly? Not interested, don't watch. Problem solved in one easy step.

I'm not going to watch for that reason exactly. I was just expressing my shock and awe after seeing that article and sharing the article to those who have not seen it. I should think I have the right to express my personal opinion on it even if it is a negative one.

/Out of all the forums to say "Not interested, don't watch."! :oldlol: :P If everyone on here followed that rule.... :lol:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:53:16 AM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
I did not watch the unveiling, but I read the recap.

I'm getting a WiiU.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
If I were getting a Wii U, I'm waiting until the game library is actually a solid one. That's the main reason the Wii U is flopping right now; the amount of games is not that strong. Other than New Super Mario Bros. U, there aren't many games with the main Nintendo characters, and Zelda won't come out until next year. Plus, a majority of their games can be found on the PS3 and 360, anyway.

As far as the Xbox One goes, I guess I'll have to read more into it before figuring out which direction I will go in.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
Yup...............Still staying strong with my ps2, and sega genesis.  Nothing to see here.
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
If I were getting a Wii U, I'm waiting until the game library is actually a solid one. That's the main reason the Wii U is flopping right now; the amount of games is not that strong. Other than New Super Mario Bros. U, there aren't many games with the main Nintendo characters, and Zelda won't come out until next year. Plus, a majority of their games can be found on the PS3 and 360, anyway.

This. All of it.

The WiiU is impressive enough (even if it is mostly Nintendo trying to get with the times), but the complete lack of development for the console is a major holdback. It really needed something other than NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros. U as launch titles...the former is nothing more than a giant minigame collection, and the latter is a fairly unimpressive, unoriginal game that just continues to rehash on the same tired concepts done to death at this point. I have no problems with 2D platformers- hell, I still love them to death- but I want some originality in my games, not the same things over and over and over again.

Though Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD may get me more interested...but at least in terms of Nintendo, the 3DS has far more that I actually want to play (especially the new Fire Emblem game and the upcoming Link to the Past sequel and Pokemon X and Y)...

The PS4 looked unimpressive when it was announced. The Xbox One (what kind of name is that?) makes the PS4 look that much better.

All in all, though, I think we're seeing an evolution of the way we play games...the era of the console is nearing an end. With the expansion of mobile games, along with an increasing market for PC games (and the fact that many games are seeing PC releases now as well), the only things the console makers have left (especially Nintendo) is their vast amounts of IP which keep certain games restricted to specific consoles...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:22:33 PM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
I buy Nintendo systems mostly because of Nintendo's own stuff, so that's not really an issue for me.  They really do need to bounce back from the "shovelware" reputation the Wii garnered, and so far, the Wii U doesn't seem to be doing that.  I'm the first person to admit I'm a Nintendo fanboy, so I really hope their fortunes turn around.

EDIT:  Gee, how many times can I use the word "really" in one post? :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:36:22 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
I buy Nintendo systems mostly because of Nintendo's own stuff, so that's not really an issue for me.  They really do need to bounce back from the "shovelware" reputation the Wii garnered, and so far, the Wii U doesn't seem to be doing that.  I'm the first person to admit I'm a Nintendo fanboy, so I really hope their fortunes turn around.

I agree with Steve, fully. I got my Wii U at launch and despite a decent showing of Nintendo Land (which, admittedly was no Wii Sports) and New Super Mario Bros. U (a solid game but was also the second NSMB game out last year and fourth overall - the series is showing signs of stagnation), the system has floundered terribly in the intervening six months. If you look at the "Top Games" list for the Wii U on IGN, an alarming number of them are eShop versions of NES and SNES games from 20 years ago - many of which were also readily available on the Wii Shop Channel. The problem is that unlike the Wii, there's no new novelty at work here for the Wii U... the tablet GamePad does little to excite people who can readily purchase a normal tablet than can do much more anyway, whereas the original Wii introduced motion control that captivated the non-gaming crowd into checking it out.

There's some good prospects forthcoming... E3 season should hopefully pick up some steam for the console, with a new Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., 3D Mario, and 3D Zelda allegedly in the pipeline. Also, we have Pikmin 3 and The Wind Waker HD already confirmed and out by this year's end.

The situation is somewhat analogous to the launch of the 3DS a couple of years ago, which had NO strong launch titles for my money... it wasn't until Star Fox 64 3D was released that it was even remotely worth owning one, but, eventually solid first party titles like Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 bolstered the library. No doubt Wii U will follow a similar path.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
The situation is somewhat analogous to the launch of the 3DS a couple of years ago, which had NO strong launch titles for my money... it wasn't until Star Fox 64 3D was released that it was even remotely worth owning one, but, eventually solid first party titles like Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 bolstered the library. No doubt Wii U will follow a similar path.

This, this, many times this. I remember the exact same "Nintendo is the next Sega!" drumbeat when the 3DS was struggling early in its lifespan. But now, its fortunes have massively changed and are getting better all the time, not to mention the Playstation Vita is doing rather embarrassingly poorly for Sony in comparison. The Wii U will be just fine once it gets a more solid base of games from Nintendo's library of properties.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sony will win this home console generation. Microsoft is not, after this debacle, going to put up a credible effort with XBox One, and Nintendo will have the same decent-but-not-blockbuster success it usually does. The only way I can see Sony botching this generation - which is theirs to lose - is if the rumors I've heard about cloud gaming and the requirement for always-on internet connection (the same mistake that doomed Sim City) are true.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline jacaya

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Best. GIF. Ever.

Sums up everything. Made me laugh. And I even read the captions in Ben Stein's voice too. :lol:
That's j-a-c-a-y-a. Just As Confused As You Are.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

I salute you for that! Funny as hell........And it looks like PS4 really has the advantage over this.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
I'm pretty much a Nintendo loyalist, although I do have a PS2 and a 360 and play both. But based on what I've heard about the Xbox One...

2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
I'm a Nintendo and Sony person. I've never had an XBox, while I've had an SNES, N64, PS, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and PS3. I don't know why the XBox never appealed to me. They had some games that I actually would've loved to have had, but I always chose a Sony/Nintendo system over it when the time came around. It's weird.

As for the XBox One, it sounds like a terrible idea. Microsoft is trying too hard to be innovative and fresh. They need to realize that they aren't Apple. The things they have suggested are so many and so radical that I don't know how everything will go down come the end of this year.

Now while I am Nintendo person, I must agree that the WiiU has had one of the weakest starts in gaming. I don't think I've seen a start this weak since Panasonic released the 3DO (something I had) and that didn't end well for them (well that and the insane price for the time). I really want a WiiU. I'm looking forward to the mini-tablet controller and the HD functionality. But I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on something that will get boring really really fast. They've really dropped the ball on the release schedule there. If I were them, instead of shoving another Mario adventure game out first, I would've made a new Mario Kart or Mario Party the first priority. They're two fun party games that can get pretty good as the competition ramps up, especially Mario Kart. I hope they've got some good things in the pipeline for this Christmas season, but I'm not sure they do. Super Smash Bros. still sounds like a long way off as does the new Mario Kart. I hope they know what they're doing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:51:57 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
If I were them, instead of shoving another Mario adventure game out first, I would've made a new Mario Kart or Mario Party the first priority. They're two fun party games that can get pretty good as the competition ramps up, especially Mario Kart. I hope they've got some good things in the pipeline for this Christmas season, but I'm not sure they do. Super Smash Bros. still sounds like a long way off as does the new Mario Kart. I hope they know what they're doing.

In the words of the commercial, "Why don't we have both?" And it appears they will have both Mario Kart U and a new 3D Mario title at E3, 335416341957844992[/tweet]]along with some other things like Smash Bros.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
Bit of a bump here, but just posting that they have confirmed the Xbox One will launch in November for $499. Games shown during presser included Metal Gear Solid 5, Forza 5, Battlefield 4 and others.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/