Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 5/24/2013 (TPiR Salute to Firefighters 2013)  (Read 14622 times)

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/24/2013
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
Oh, I agree. My original point was just that I felt Bob may have given her the prize today. If Yodely Guy would've just stopped for a split second, it would be different. But he clearly stopped at 25 for a few seconds and it was just enough for everyone to think "oh, she won!"
Well, just like in that 1986-87 episode I talked about (the Yodely Guy stopped for about 2 seconds before falling over, and the contestant had lost on the first SP), Bob wouldn't have given it to this one, anyway. The Yodely Guy only stopped for a mere half second before falling off.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
There was also a time when I recall this season (I believe) a Squeeze Play setup had a lot of repeating digits, and when Drew originally revealed the price he said "YOU GOT IT!" or something like that because he thought they won, but they had actually lost and Drew mis-read it. They lost the game and were not awarded the prize.

That's happened a handful of times since Drew became host, actually. It's one thing if the contestant thinks they won but the host leading the contestant that way shouldn't reflect the show's approach.

As for Cliff Hangers, it's not unlike a big win negated in Pyramid's Winner Circle because the winning clue was illegal. There's that brief moment of joy then immediately afterward or during a commercial break, the judge catches on and the show has to explain itself. I'd be pissed if that happened to me but rules are rules.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Re: TPiR Recap - 5/24/2013 (TPiR Salute to Firefighters 2013)
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
I haven't commented on a whole show in awhile. So let's do it.

Cliff Hangers: I never remember a time watching in the modern era where somebody lost by a dollar. That's gotta suck. And to Todd's point, I think the fact that after a second or two Yodelly Firefighter went off the cliff without any dings probably  took away any confusion once it was seen. And as I think other people have said, she still missed the prices by more than $25, so only so much that could be done.
Switch: Not much I can say here. I think it was set up for a win, and thankfully it was.
Gas: I'm actually kind of surprised that in her thinking she left herself to 15 and 17. I would have thought that she would have left it with two prices that were closer to each other. Still, that's the closest we've been in Gas in awhile I believe, so while it's good for that, it makes the loss sadder.
Clock Game: I feel nerves probably got the best of Emmanuel here, particularly with the fact that both prizes, he seemed to start with a consistent pattern, and then he either assumed it was in a certain area or just lost focus on his pattern.
Line 'Em Up: I'll give credit here, I honestly think I would have had no chance at this one, I probably would have been stubbornly convinced that the car was 18k, so well done to Joseph.
Danger Price: I can understand entirely why that was lost. To me this seemed like the hardest set up of the day, particularly because most of the chat felt it was the TV.
Showcases: The show hasn't had a Glastron in awhile, has it? That's sort of why I bid under Stagey, not thinking that Glastron had particular value to it. I also wonder how inflated St. Croix was. Glad Emmanuel got his truck though.

Overall...meh. Something about the contestants made me feel like generally speaking it was a bit lower energy and enthusiasm, or I just couldn't connect with these people this time. Other than that, nothing horrible, just average.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline Paranoia_Survivor

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »
That's happened a handful of times since Drew became host, actually. It's one thing if the contestant thinks they won but the host leading the contestant that way shouldn't reflect the show's approach.

As for Cliff Hangers, it's not unlike a big win negated in Pyramid's Winner Circle because the winning clue was illegal. There's that brief moment of joy then immediately afterward or during a commercial break, the judge catches on and the show has to explain itself. I'd be pissed if that happened to me but rules are rules.

Moments where Bob awards prizes for reasons such as technical wins, stagehand mishaps, for some reason show how much less strict TPIR is compared to Wheel of Fortune's bonus round. Quite frequently during bonus round last second solves, I would sometimes see Pat cut to commercial break because the judges have to review the tape of the contestant's solves because of the rule that the solve must have been attempted before or on the buzzer. Sometimes Pat and the contestant even celebrates if they thought they won, but then seconds later the judges tell pat to stop and cut to commercial for the off-screen review.

If the judges at WoF were the same as TPIR and if the yodeler had stopped at 25, it would not surprise me if all of a sudden they force Drew to make an announcement along the likes of "after reviewing the tape, you have missed the price of the 3 items by $26 instead of $25 therefore we have taken away the prize from you".

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »
^ I'm not sure what you're talking about, the last BR review was like 4 years ago.

In any case, if there is a tech win on the BR, they throw out the whole segment and redo the BR.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
I don't think so. When I saw something like that happen in an episode from 1986-87 (where a contestant lost on the first prize), Bob didn't give the contestant the win.
I remember one where he went over on the second item, but it turned out he should have stopped on the 25, and I'm pretty sure Bob gave that contestant the win.  Also, from that point on, it seemed as if he would stop on 24 1/2 instead of 25...

What happened today is slightly unusual but not to the point where it warranted giving her the prize. Something comparable would be a Plinko chip hanging on the edge of the $10,000 slot but falling into $0.
Or, in the days before they had the clear cover at the bottom of the board, the chip landing in the $10,000, tipping over, and then sliding into the zero.

Then again, almost certainly the reason that cover is now there is because a chip did tip over and slide into a different slot, but it went from zero to 10,000 instead of the other way around.  (BTW, the contestant did get the $10,000 for that.)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
In any case, if there is a tech win on the BR, they throw out the whole segment and redo the BR.

I've heard of bonus round puzzles getting thrown out because of Pat exulting after he thinks he heard a contestant say the solution which is understandable. I don't see how they can throw a bonus puzzle out because they can't discern whether or not an answer was said before the buzzer with the technology to review so sophisticated.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
Nice win on Switch? and great to see Line Em Up won to prevent a car game shut-out from happening! :-)  Not too good other than that, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 03:05:43 AM »
Well, just like in that 1986-87 episode I talked about (the Yodely Guy stopped for about 2 seconds before falling over, and the contestant had lost on the first SP), Bob wouldn't have given it to this one, anyway. The Yodely Guy only stopped for a mere half second before falling off.

I don't think a win should have been awarded in that 80's Cliffhangers playing.  I wonder if there is a You Tube showing of it?

Joe

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 04:21:24 AM »
Well, that wasn't too bad. We finally got a long playing of Gas Money (though I still don't get why contestants start in the middle, but it worked out this time; too bad we couldn't convert into the win at the end), and Line 'em Up was a great win, too; $19,270 is not exactly a nice price, so to get there from 1 right was great.

Cliffy was definitely painful, especially with how for a moment it seemed like Yodely Guy had just barely avoided doom... but nope, he took that one extra step off. Oh well, it's not like Cliffy is starved of wins.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
What are you talking about? The stagehand made a mistake, and the playing was 4 10 12 - 26. You can't possibly give a tech on that (and I hope Bob never did either).

Oh, you most certainly can, and there's definitely precedent for "awarding the prize because we accidentally made it look like she won," although I'm not sure said precedent comes from Cliff Hangers.

I can't tell if this arguing in favor of or against what I said.

Yeah...Swingbatta's first post was, to put it kindly, incoherent.

So you're saying that they should have awarded the contestant the prize that she lost, fair and square, because of the reaction?

No, that's not what he's saying, and you and I both know you don't even think that's what he was saying.  Stop creating drama for the sake of creating drama.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline RangeGamer

• 10/15/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 09:11:36 PM »
SteveG is correct--there is precedent....IIRC, with the wheel

Pics/Video were posted somewhere when.....someone got the $1 total,
(either 1st/2nd spin) with the pointer nestled against the peg.  Amidst the celebration,
the pointer flipped over to the the next spot.  Bob felt that it had rested on the winning
spot long enough, and let the $1 stand.

I can't remember how long ago or where it was posted, but there is indeed precedent.
After 41 yrs, I'm sure there's other precedent besides this.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 09:20:14 PM »
Yeah, there definitely would be precedent, it just might not be in Cliff Hangers, as Steve pointed out. One good example of how a similar situation would for sure cause a Technical Win, would be if something like, if in One Away they accidentally honked when a contestant asked if all 5 were right when in reality they only had 4 right. That would be clear cut. The mountain climber pausing for half a second at the top is not so clear cut, however.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
Not at all what I had in mind, really...I was thinking of the cash register in Grocery Game malfunctioning.  One is Bob just jumping the gun; the other is the staff actually causing a screw-up that made a loss be displayed as a win.

(Then again, I might have that whole Grocery Game thing backwards...that was a goofy sequence of events.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:05:15 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
Not at all what I had in mind, really...I was thinking of the cash register in Grocery Game malfunctioning.  One is Bob just jumping the gun; the other is the staff actually causing a screw-up that made a loss be displayed as a win.

(Then again, I might have that whole Grocery Game thing backwards...that was a goofy sequence of events.)

The staff pressing the button to make the Honk sound for a fifth time is an error on their part too, not Bob/Drew jumping the gun. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz