Author Topic: OBIT: Jean Stapleton  (Read 2197 times)

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
OBIT: Jean Stapleton
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT: Jean Stapleton
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
I just got an email saying that Jean Stapleton, best known for playing Edith Bunker in the show "All in the Family" has passed away at age 90. 

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »
That is very sad. I loved her as Edith Bunker, and what a wonderful person she was. RIP and thanks so much for the good memories.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Snuffleupagus

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
Dingbat's up there with Ahchie now.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:57:38 PM »
Mods: Please merge with this one.

Done.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:20:19 PM by cu2010 »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »
RIP Jean Stapleton.  :-(
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
She will be missed.  :cry:

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
"Archie" and "Edith" are now up there. Tell Carroll we said hi. RIP Jean Stapleton.  :cry:

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
The character she created in Edith was one of the best in television history. So much fun from her, I thank her for it. There would be no All in the Family without Edith.

By the way, you'd think CNN would do just a smidgen of proofreading before putting something on the front page of their site. Guess not.

I had no idea All in the Family was eligible for Grammy's as well as Emmy's.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »
If I had to pick her best Edith moment, it was where she kept substituting "mmm mmm" for canned peaches after Archie complained that he'd heard the words enough while explaining what had gone on at the supermarket (equally priceless was her amazed and naïve "I didn't know Abe Lincoln was Jewish" after Rob Reiner threw in his name as the punchline to the various Jewish names Archie was rambling off).  And the fun fact is she turned down another familiar role to take Edith:  Mike Teavee's mother. 

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I was born in 1979 when the show was being rebranded as "Archie Bunker's Place" so unfortunately, I never had the opportunity of seeing the show during its original CBS broadcast from 1971 to 1983. Thanks to my dad, I discovered "All in the Family" during its rerun heydays on TV Land and Nick at Nite in the late 90s and early 00s. I loved the show and couldn't believe how funny it was. I have seasons 1-9 on DVD as well as season 1 of Archie Bunker's Place, which is essentialy season 10 of AitF. Now if only seasons 2-4 of ABP would get released.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »
I think the only one I ever saw of Archie Bunkers Place, was the beginning of it when edith passed away from breast cancer and archie was talking about it and broke down when he saw her slipper.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
Thanks to the Ames Fan Club for this info - looks like Antenna TV will be doing a 12 hour showing of All in the Family episodes tomorrow (Tues) starting at 3pm.

This is ususally on one of the subchannels (ie: 6.2, 10.3) - this link will show you where you can find it if you're interested:

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2013-05/76094688-31121610.pdf

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
When Jean Stapleton left, whatever energy remained on the show vanished. Carroll O'Connor was the star of the show, but the show never came up with anyone nearly as good for him to play off of as Jean Stapleton was. I completely agree that the "mmmmm mmmmm...in heavy syrup" sequence was a masterpiece.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
The episode where Edith goes through the change of life is best performance by her IMO.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."