Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/12/2013  (Read 24366 times)

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/12/2013
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
Sorry for the lateness, but I had to watch the 1st half online because I slept over it.

THE BAD NEWS:

Cover-Up: So close, but so far away for Ronnie, but I got a couple things that really irked me today: 1.) The wrong numbers replaced by a question mark, pound sign, etc.; I'm willing to let the Drew pictures from last time to slide, but this is just seemed a little pointless and I rather have the wrong numbers back than this. And speaking of pointless.......2.) When Ronnie lost, the camera panned back to Amber and the Journey. Was that even necessary? I mean, he didn't win it..........well, he came close to win it, but still. And they do the same thing with other car games this season. Almost unnecessary as Drew having Therese touch the Ferrari from 3X on Big Money Week.......

Race Game: Lisa had a good stride on the first try, but she started to slow down, unfortunately. Perhaps if she changed the TV and the shoes, she would've won. Maybe Take Two would've been more her speed (No pun intended).

Flip-Flop: Tough break for Chelsea, but she won a boat today.

THE GOOD NEWS:

Cliffhangers: Pamela did some good playing today!

Bullseye: (singing to Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer): "They never let poor Rudolph join in any Pricing Games"..........Sorry, I had to do it, considering how the contestants 1-up him on the IUFBs today. Anyway, he did really awesome today and it's a good thing he chose 4 of the Fruit Gushers for the win!

Gas Money: Here's Mike reaction to Sheryll winning that game today:  :P

But seriously, Sheryll did great on it! I was hoping that she didn't pick the $16,995 price (The car price) and she didn't seeing that price and the $15,595 one were potential car prices. It was quite the nail-biter at the end, but Sheryll really triumphed over it........Too bad she went over on her SC........

Another 3/6 show this week, and some good wins today.........Hoping this will keep up for the remainder of the week.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:13:44 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
I'm a bit of a old-school traditionalist when it comes to Price; well, more than just a bit. But seeing those symbols instead of the usual numbers in Cover Up didn't bother me that much. It seemed to make Drew think on his feet, which I support. The less robotic he is, as far as his hosting goes, the better. And so close to a win today, as someone has already noted.

Fantastic win in Gas Money. I would have bailed out with the $9,000 though; too much money for me to possibly lose. Would you have? :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:29:21 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Fantastic win in Gas Money. I would have bailed out with the $9,000 though; too much money for me to possibly lose. Would you have? :)

Me too, and I would've been right to do so.  I thought it was $15K and would've just started from the highest price going down, but $16,995 was nagging me as being a strong possibility from the beginning of the game as well.

Joking or not, IMHO Drew seemed to be coming across as somewhat of a jerk with his comments during the one-bids.

Okay, the non-price in Cover Up was funny the first time, but enough is enough.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:16 PM »
If you're not going to use fake numbers to cover up in Cover Up, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the game?

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
Wow was this a great show.

I loved the last two contestants today. Probably on my list of best of the season. Rudolph was just fun because of his situation in Contestant's Row, and to see him so happy to get on stage and win Bullseye was just great. Plus, it isn't often you get to crack a few Rudolph the Reindeer jokes. I also loved Sheryll. She was so happy to be there already, but when I heard her say she wanted to win the car for her pregnant daughter, I was really on her side. At the end when she looked out in the audience and said "For you.", that made me feel so sentimental. It was an utter joy to see this mother do something so selfless and wonderfully nice for her daughter.

There was nothing wrong with Drew's ribbing of the 1st contestant. Especially since he continued after that to say that since she's retired it's okay. All apart of the joke.

As for the 3rd contestant, that's on her for feeling bad. 1-Upping is a perfectly fine and acceptable strategy (one Rudolph ended up using to get on stage in the first place!). You shouldn't feel bad about it. Also, she wasn't feeling that bad. She was laughing through her numerous apologies and it was all in good fun.

If you're not going to use fake numbers to cover up in Cover Up, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the game?
Yes and no. Yes because the way the game was explained for years was that the starting price was the wrong price and you had to "Cover Up" the wrong price with the right one. No, however, because they still are providing the contestant with something to cover up and while it isn't the wrong price and it thus renders Bob's rules obsolete, it doesn't take away from the object of the game to "Cover Up" nonsense with the right price.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
I did like it better, though, when the fake price provided the contestant with an easy guess for the first number (e.g. "Cover up the 2 with the 1 or the 3" if the car was a Ford Focus).

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
More to the point, the wrong price is just that... they're not the right numbers, thus providing a (small) clue to what the right numbers are. What the game is reduced to now is basically "get lucky and pick the right numbers" - is there really any genuine pricing going on now in Cover Up? What it ultimately boils down to is placating an unfounded complaint against the game made by the one person who shouldn't be ripping on the game ON THE AIR.

Should they get rid of the wrong price in Flip Flop now and just say "You can leave it like this or you can flip the first two numbers or flop the last two numbers." Why not get rid of the wrong prices in Plinko and say "Is the right price $43 or $27" while they're at it. And on and on. This is a STUPID change - it's change for the sake of it. Where do they go from here - do they use letters next time and spell out "PRICE" instead of using five numbers?

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
I'm really confused by your post - what clue is provided from a fake price not being right? Those five numbers still aren't going to be choices.

I understand the concept - you keep covering up the wrong price each time, but if it doesn't affect the gameplay, why not have a little fun with it? I for one am looking more forward to the next Cover Up playing to see what they do next, whereas before, I would rather have many other car games before it.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
I'm really confused by your post - what clue is provided from a fake price not being right? Those five numbers still aren't going to be choices.

Suppose the wrong price given is something like $16,370. Depending on what options are listed for the car, the make and the model, those wrong numbers could very well affect one's decision on what to cover them up with, if even in a very minor way. You might be more inclined to cover up the 0 with a 4 or a 5 (assuming they're available) if you already know that the 0 is wrong.

The point is, the wrong price is just one combination that you know is wrong, so, it's something to build off of, as opposed to five symbols being down there giving no help whatsoever.

I could be wrong in this line of thinking, but, I really don't think so.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
Frankly, the clue provided by the wrong price was really minimal, which is why they felt it was okay to ditch them.

It has not become "get lucky and pick the right numbers." If you pick a 3 over a 1 when pricing a Kia, then maybe you should lose. The game is still the game, which is pricing the car number for number.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
Suppose the wrong price given is something like $16,370. Depending on what options are listed for the car, the make and the model, those wrong numbers could very well affect one's decision on what to cover them up with, if even in a very minor way. You might be more inclined to cover up the 0 with a 4 or a 5 (assuming they're available) if you already know that the 0 is wrong.

I'm still confused - I might be more inclined to cover up the 0 with a 4 or a 5 than what? Yes, I already know the 0 is wrong....but if it isn't an option on the top anyway, I'm not going to pick it.

The point is, the wrong price is just one combination that you know is wrong, so, it's something to build off of, as opposed to five symbols being down there giving no help whatsoever.

But, how am I building off of it? This isn't like One Away where the 2 is one away from either a 1 or 3.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:03:33 AM by Punchboard91 »

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
Suppose a contestant has a price in mind for the car, say $14,375. Then they see the game come around on the turntable and see the wrong price revealed to be something like $26,345. Right away, they see two numbers they THOUGHT might be in the price proven to NOT BE in the price, so, it might affect their choices as to what numbers to choose to cover them up with. By just having a bunch of nonsense symbols there, perhaps there's a 3 in the third column and a 5 in the fifth column and choose them to cover up the nonsense symbols with and they would be WRONG.

I'm suggesting that by eliminating the wrong price altogether, they've taken out five possible numbers in the price of the car, thus, slightly disadvantaging the contestant.

Haha, I know it's terribly confusing. :P The point is they changed something that didn't need changing.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
Frankly, the clue provided by the wrong price was really minimal, which is why they felt it was okay to ditch them.
Alternately, continuing from what Kyle has said, they wish to make an already difficult game harder.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:26 AM »
I'm suggesting that by eliminating the wrong price altogether, they've taken out five possible numbers in the price of the car, thus, slightly disadvantaging the contestant.
I'm getting confused now, since they're not really taking out five possible numbers.  They still have the same number of choices (2-6).  I would be just as likely to guess a price whether the fakes were $26,580 or $00,000 or PRICE.
I guess it comes down to whether you see the wrong price and say "that's not the price; there are 9 other numbers that could fit in that spot" or see the possible choices and say "the correct number is 1 of X numbers shown".
To each his own.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
By just having a bunch of nonsense symbols there, perhaps there's a 3 in the third column and a 5 in the fifth column and choose them to cover up the nonsense symbols with and they would be WRONG.

I get what you are saying, but I was under the impression that the choices for the car were decided, and then the fake price was made from whatever numbers were not used. Therefore, in your example, 3 and 5 wouldn't even be used - even if the contestant had thought $26,345 was the right price, that price can't be formed if there's no 3 or 5 to choose for those particular numbers.