Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/17/2013 (TPiR 2013 Wedding Shower Special)  (Read 31030 times)

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/17/2013 (TPiR 2013 Wedding Shower Special)
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »
A $47K+ trip to Aruba...............To quote Alpha: "Ay yi yi yi yi yi!!!" Something like that just doesn't really belong on Cliffy. Even though it was won, I was really flabbergasted over that.

Did Mike really need to put Rent on the lineup today? I know that Erin and Kyle did their best (And that's all we can get from that game, now it's back to being evil), but he could've at least give them a more entertaining cash game than PtR. Plinko, Punch, IITB, 1/2 Off, Grand Game............Any one of them would've been used instead. Well, I guess Erin and Kyle can always elope.  :P

All-in-all, despite another Rent trap, the uber sexed-up trips from Cliffy and Switch?, another unnecessary random appearance of the Beastmaster aka Daniel Goddard (Rob could've been there instead IMHO), and a Double Overbid, it wasn't all that bad. At least, TTM was won respectively.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:02:10 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline lance99

• In the Audience
    • Lances Political World
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
Hey, maybe that's next, 3 Strikes for a trip!

Just the thought of that makes me cringe. Sadly, I actually see that happening.
Be careful and remember: "Fear The Roo!" My signoff from my radio show. The lance Bell Presents Show

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
What's interesting is that even if someone won both Showcases, that's only about $3,000 more than what was won in Cliff Hangers.

I found it pretty funny that we started with all these wedding-themed IUFBs, then a computer pops up (which, of course, isn't bad, considering just about anybody, especially married couples, can use a computer in today's world).

Also, very nice to see That's Too Much won. Unfortunate losses on Rent and Money Game.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
They have no qualms about breaking a cardinal rule of the show, and it's just really embarrassing.
What was this rule?  Does it have something to do with offering a prize that a contestant will probably never accept?

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »
Today's Cliff Hangers is when I start questioning how Price won last night's Emmy.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
Switch?, Coming Or Going, Cliff Hangers:  Nice wins! :-)
Money Game:  Bummer! :-(
Pay The Rent:  Evil setup.
That's Too Much:  Nice to see it won for a change! :-)

Pretty good overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
What was this rule?  Does it have something to do with offering a prize that a contestant will probably never accept?

A luxury prize (30k+) that is not car or cash doesn't belong on the Price is Right. I believe this is the first time we've crossed 40k, and well into it.

OK, I kinda am stretching the "cardinal rule" part, but it really should be one anyways.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »
A luxury prize (30k+) that is not car or cash doesn't belong on the Price is Right. I believe this is the first time we've crossed 40k, and well into it.

I'm sure they would have preferred a grandfather clock.

Look, your "cardinal rules" are borderline ridiculous, arbitrary and capricious. Also, it sure as heck looks like this trip was sponsored and/or provided by the Aruba tourism bureau...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
^ Do you really want Drew super hyping up a non-cash/car, and a strong car/cash winner not gaining the full advantage in the SD?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
The third 2-player show inside of three weeks. Once a month is plenty, if at all. Oh, look, it's Daniel Goddard... again. Is it safe to call him a semi-regular model now?

Switch? - A win's always nice to start the show.

Pay the Rent Wedding - What bothers me more than this game's overpowering difficulty is how often it shows up. I'd have to guess that this is the current producers' pride and joy of a game and they trot it out just as often as they can. Meanwhile, Golden Road and Triple Play, actual good games, show up maybe three times a season.

Money Game - Missed having the 41 at the top of the board... and Not-So-El-Cheapo steals the win away. I figured that 27 would be the last two numbers as soon as I saw the board.

Showdown #1 - The possible dream...

Coming or Going - Made the right choice.

Fifth Item Prize up for Bids - Did it strike anyone else as slightly hilarious/ridiculous that every item up for bids on this show up to this point had been wedding-associated? Tuxedos/gowns, rings, flowers, cake... then suddenly A NEW COMPUTER. What happened? They run out of wedding related prizes?

That's Too Much - Always nice to see someone outsmart this game.

Cliff Hangers - ...the hell was up with that trip to Aruba? $40,000+?! And on a gimmie set-up game life Cliff Hangers? Wha...?

Showcases - Another double-player show ends with the double overbid of doom. And more free prizes for the audience, just like last Friday's Father's Day show. Who booked this stuff?

Didn't care for this show.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
Pay the Rent Wedding - What bothers me more than this game's overpowering difficulty is how often it shows up. I'd have to guess that this is the current producers' pride and joy of a game and they trot it out just as often as they can. Meanwhile, Golden Road and Triple Play, actual good games, show up maybe three times a season.
I'm in agreement. More Golden Road!

I know these are relative terms, but why make it so "difficult" to win a sub-$20K prize on some episodes and so "easy" to win one valued at more than $47K on others? What about on the same episode?? To me, this lack of consistency makes big wins less special and might perturb some viewers. I would have at least saved the Aruba wedding trip for a showcase.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »
That's not even the biggest problem. I like crazy prizes. I liked the wine vault (minimally), and the Man-Wall was fun. Hell, they gave away a Monopoly set in 1977 that would be worth around $20K today. That's insane. And they gave away that Monopoly set in One Right Price!

I have a problem saving prizes like these for only special shows, making them few and far between (so not really mixing it up), and not taking the opportunity to make the show really fun by offering a 3rd car on the show. I refuse to call the show's prize selection "lazy" as others do, because they still have to arrange for a prize to appear on the show like they would any other prize and it isn't any easier than other prizes.

What I will call it is uninspired (at times).
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline stardf29

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »
Well, at least Rent was played more or less how it was supposed to, so at least it had some excitement to it.

I wonder how much taxes on a $47K trip to Aruba costs compared to the costs of an actual wedding...

That said, perhaps what saddens me most about this is...

Last year's Wedding Shower show was perfect. PERFECT. Not just in how every game was won (I consider $10K in Plinko a win and no one's going to stop me!), but in how the whole thing played out more or less like a normal show, and the feel of the show was like a normal show that was going really well. The only real gimmicks were an $8K trip to Miami offered to all stage players and a pair of bachelor/ette parties similar to today's (only in Bargain Game, and at least that time, it was less than the ARP of the car in the first half). The lineup overall was much better, with Plinko and Pocket Change instead of Pay the Rent and That's Too Much (though at least TTM got won).

It felt like a special, but it didn't feel extravagant, and the games carried the show more than the prizes did.

Unfortunately, the Powers That Be apparently don't feel like they want that kind of show again. They'd rather just go for extravagant prizes to appeal to what I guess the current primary audience for this show wants. And I guess I'm not part of that primary audience anymore.

Well, whatever. I have last year's wedding shower show saved on my DVR for all eternity. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and rewatch that now.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 03:56:08 AM »
So...um...was I watching the same show as everyone else?  This honestly felt to me like a normal episode with bigger-than-usual prizes.  Hell, if Drew hosted as well every day as he did today, they could probably get away with doing damn near whatever they wanted and still have it feel like it made sense.

As a matter of fact, it feels like Drew probably hosted even better today than what we were able to see -- the show was obviously edited to shreds, and that included some really choppy edits in the middle of him talking that made him sound ridiculously awkward when he probably wasn't.

The only thing that truly bothered me about today's show was the use of the name "Pay the Wedding" -- not because of anything about the game itself, but because that combination of words doesn't mean anything.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19:03 AM »
^ I agree.   Regardless of the taxes involved, the Aruba trip looked absolutely stunning with some great footage of the destination and hotel.