Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/17/2013 (TPiR 2013 Wedding Shower Special)  (Read 31040 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/17/2013 (TPiR 2013 Wedding Shower Special)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
The only thing that truly bothered me about today's show was the use of the name "Pay the Wedding" -- not because of anything about the game itself, but because that combination of words doesn't mean anything.

Bearing in mind that they did the same thing for Pay the Rent Wedding two years ago.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
Bearing in mind that they did the same thing for Pay the Rent Wedding two years ago.

Yes, and it was stupid then, too.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 01:32:24 PM »
So...um...was I watching the same show as everyone else?  This honestly felt to me like a normal episode with bigger-than-usual prizes.

Finally, a voice of reason!

I thought that was a fun show. Unfortunately I couldn't get through the first page of posts without wanting to put sharp objects in my eyeballs.

What is with the outrage over the wedding trip? First of all, they offered it in a fee game - probably the easiest one on the show at that, so they weren't worried about giving it away. Secondly, it was so blatantly sponsored, there's no way the show spent near $47K on it. The prize budget will live to see another show.

^ Do you really want Drew super hyping up a non-cash/car, and a strong car/cash winner not gaining the full advantage in the SD?

I honestly couldn't care less.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
Yes, and it was stupid then, too.
You think they would learn their lesson 2 years ago, but no. Could've at least put up Plinko like last season.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
What is with the outrage over the wedding trip? First of all, they offered it in a fee game - probably the easiest one on the show at that, so they weren't worried about giving it away. Secondly, it was so blatantly sponsored, there's no way the show spent near $47K on it. The prize budget will live to see another show.
Like I said, I'm not even concerned with the prize budget. My reasons for not liking it are actually kind of selfish. If they can have so much fun and offer a prize this big in a fee game, why can't there be more three car shows on a rotation more than once a year? Cars can be sponsored too. I feel loosening the reigns on this stranglehold against three car shows will open up the door for many more fun and unpredictable shows.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
This has nothing to do with the budget, nothing to do with their spending money, and they were most certainly not worried about it getting won. This has to do with flaunting a BIG PRIZE such as they have done for years now, more specifically a BIG PRIZE that is not likely to be taken due to the high taxes or because the couple has already planned their wedding out.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Today's Cliff Hangers was a perfect example of why I think the contestants running over to EVERY prize that is won is extremely annoying. Drew and Gwen were pretty much forcing them over there.

If it's a car, I can understand. Some other tangible prize... maybe. But a trip? No. There's no point to it.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
I thought that was a fun show. Unfortunately I couldn't get through the first page of posts without wanting to put sharp objects in my eyeballs.

Well that escalated quickly.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
^ Do you really want Drew super hyping up a non-cash/car, and a strong car/cash winner not gaining the full advantage in the SD?

...huh? The hell?
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
^ What? That's the direct consequence of letting something like this happen.

Also Steve, if the host is so great you would be OK with them getting away with anything, then, uh... you're overemphasizing the host.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
Also Steve, if the host is so great you would be OK with them getting away with anything, then, uh... you're overemphasizing the host.

Overemphasizing the host?  8-O

This has nothing to do with the budget, nothing to do with their spending money, and they were most certainly not worried about it getting won. This has to do with flaunting a BIG PRIZE such as they have done for years now, more specifically a BIG PRIZE that is not likely to be taken due to the high taxes or because the couple has already planned their wedding out.

Huh. Guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
It seems as if a majority of people here do not like the fact the current regime likes offering expensive trips; they believe the show does this, banking on the fact that the contestant won't accept it and pay the taxes. If the contestant doesn't take it, the show saves that $47k, and in a lot of peoples eyes here, "jips" the contestant out of taking home something affordable.  It's not like the contestant can sell the trip: they have to take it or forfeit it.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
^ What? That's the direct consequence of letting something like this happen.

^ I hate this. Use proper quotes.

It's a big prize, it probably didn't cost the show anything since it seemed to be sponsored, and it wasn't overemphasized throughout the show. People like big prizes. Audiences like big prizes. They may or may not accept it - that's really none of your concern.

Another thing, somebody could easily win a big money game (i.e. Gas Money, Pay The Rent, Plinko) and the same scenario that you're so damn worried about could still happen.

Uhhhh.... is there a blank stare smiley?

It really isn't a big deal, it's just that some folks will never get the current (Emmy award winning) producers credit where credit is due and will find fault in anything & everything.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
Oh, for the love of God.

I swear some of you guys are so intent on knocking every single thing the new staff does that you won't allow yourselves to see when they get something right.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
I swear some of you guys are so intent on knocking every single thing the new staff does that you won't allow yourselves to see when they get something right.
I always give credit where credit is due (or at least, I hope I do) -- Drew hosted very well on this episode, they decorated things a bit more than usual, and a decent amount was won (not counting the Aruba trip).

And for the record, I do not judge shows based solely on win-loss records.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.