Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea - Carbon Copy  (Read 2553 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
New Pricing Game Idea - Carbon Copy
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
Because of the lack of cash games, this game is played for any five digit amount of money that ends in -00.

It is easier to explain with an example, so...

Congrats Dan, you've made it on stage for a chance to win a certificate for $14,200 in cash playing Carbon Copy

{applause}

[$ 1 4 , 2 0 0]
[$ _ _ , _ 0 0]

Now the top certificate is my copy and the bottom is yours. For you to win that money, you have to make a carbon copy of my certificate.

You complete your certificate by using these small products.

So first, let's try to fill in the orange spot with a 1

Fondue Set: [$ ? 8 0]
Breadmaker: [$ ? 3 5]

One of those question marks represent a 1, so try and pick that one

{picks fondue set}

[$ 1 4 , 2 0 0]
[$ ? _ , _ 0 0]

We'll see if you are right later, now let try finding a 4 for the green spot

Ipod nano: [$ ? 9]
Juicer: [$ ? 7]

{picks Ipod}

[$ 1 4 , 2 0 0]
[$ ? ? , _ 0 0]

Iron: [$ ? 0]
Pitcher: [$ ? 5]
Churro Maker: [$ ? 5]

And finally, which question mark represents a 2?

{choses pitcher}

[$ 1 4 , 2 0 0]
[$ ? ? , ? 0 0]

No matter what you win the prizes you picked, but let's see if you win that money

{reveal the picks}

[$ 1 4 , 2 0 0]
[$ 1 4 , 6 0 0]

{buzz}

You were close, but it is not a carbon copy. I hope you had fun playing Carbon Copy.

I think it would be feasible, but I would to have some feedback.

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: New Pricing Game Idea - Carbon Copy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »
Sounds to me like just a rehashing of "Temptation".

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
There's two problems I have with this game:
1) This is easier than most of the cash games on the show.  The easiest ones is 1/2 Off (if my math was right, it's 11.7%), followed by Grand Game, which has 6.67% chance of winning.  The setup you have has an 8.33% chance of winning [(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/3)], plus it has a guaranteed higher payout than both.
2) You're essentially playing a 3-prize version of Plinko's SP portion.  And while Plinko has a 2nd part of the game, yours doesn't.

If you were playing for a cash prize under $10,000, then I'd say the game is pretty good.  However, it just seems way too easy to be a high-payout cash game.

The only suggestion I can think of is to have each of the 7 (or even 6) prizes a choice for each digit, and make the contestant choose 3 out of the 6 or 7 to use as their "digits."  You can even have it so that one of the digits will work for 2 of the SPs, if you wanted to make it easier.  Assuming you're using 6 prizes and you have 2 SPs that can work for one of the digits, your odds become: (2/6)*(1/5)*(1/4).  That's about 1.67% chance of winning (0.83% if you have each SP require a different digit), which makes it on-par with high-payout games.

For some reason, when I read this, I thought of a gag that Drew could do.  The "carbon copy" price could have some kind of obstruction over the first 3 digits that purposefully make it unreadable (i.e. a coffee spill, an ink blot, a lipstick mark, toner ran out, etc) and the contestant has to "make a new one."  The obstructions would be something that you'd expect to find in an office.

Here's how I imagined it:
Drew: "Congrats Dan, you've made it on stage for a chance to win a certificate for $14,200 in cash playing Carbon Copy.  Here's the original right here.  And guess what: you don't have to do anything!  We've already made yours: take a look, it's behind this cover!"
*cover reveals the carbon copy, but a huge coffee stain is obscuring the 3 numbers*
Drew: Amber, what in the world happened?? You ruined it!
Amber: I'm sorry, Drew, today was a mess!  I overslept, my car got a flat tire, and I missed rehearsal!  I must've spilled my coffee on it while I was running to my dressing room...please forgive me!
Drew: Did you remember to feed your cat, though?
Amber: *gasp* Oh no, Mittens!  *runs off stage*
*audience laughter/applause*
Drew: Well, there goes Amber.  Well Dan, I guess we'll have to re-make your copy.  But we can do it with the help of these small prizes...
*cue rest of the game*

BTW, I don't even know if she has a cat.  I'm just giving an example of the kind of humor they could have in this game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:13:14 PM by PimpinJC »
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
The only suggestion I can think of is to have each of the 7 (or even 6) prizes a choice for each digit, and make the contestant choose 3 out of the 6 or 7 to use as their "digits."  You can even have it so that one of the digits will work for 2 of the SPs, if you wanted to make it easier.  Assuming you're using 6 prizes and you have 2 SPs that can work for one of the digits, your odds become: (2/6)*(1/5)*(1/4).  That's about 1.67% chance of winning (0.83% if you have each SP require a different digit), which makes it on-par with high-payout games.

Just to make sure I understand, do you mean instead of having 2 to 3 choices for each digit, have all 6 SP's be choices for the 3 digits?

Drew: "Congrats Dan, you've made it on stage for a chance to win a certificate for $14,200 in cash playing Carbon Copy.  Here's the original right here.  And guess what: you don't have to do anything!  We've already made yours: take a look, it's behind this cover!"
*cover reveals the carbon copy, but a huge coffee stain is obscuring the 3 numbers*
Drew: Amber, what in the world happened?? You ruined it!
Amber: I'm sorry, Drew, today was a mess!  I overslept, my car got a flat tire, and I missed rehearsal!  I must've spilled my coffee on it while I was running to my dressing room...please forgive me!
Drew: Did you remember to feed your cat, though?
Amber: *gasp* Oh no, Mittens!  *runs off stage*
*audience laughter/applause*
Drew: Well, there goes Amber.  Well Dan, I guess we'll have to re-make your copy.  But we can do it with the help of these small prizes...
*cue rest of the game*

BTW, I don't even know if she has a cat.  I'm just giving an example of the kind of humor they could have in this game.

That's hilarious AND could would as a changing gag. I like it.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
Just to make sure I understand, do you mean instead of having 2 to 3 choices for each digit, have all 6 SP's be choices for the 3 digits?
Correct
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
1) This is easier than most of the cash games on the show.  The easiest ones is 1/2 Off (if my math was right, it's 11.7%), followed by Grand Game, which has 6.67% chance of winning.  The setup you have has an 8.33% chance of winning [(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/3)], plus it has a guaranteed higher payout than both.

You can't really use 'blind monkey' win percentages to gauge a game's difficulty.  A better comparison is to a game's historical won-loss record (well, for games that actually exist, anyway).  Grand Game actually has a win rate of just under 35%, while Plinko is won for $10,000 about 46% of the time.  Those are our benchmarks - not 11.7% or 6.67%.

While I obviously have no idea what an observed win rate for this game would be as submitted, you could easily convince me that it's in the ballpark of Grand Game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:35:12 AM by PriceFanArmadillo »
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy