Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 6/20/2013  (Read 24135 times)

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
Re: TPiR Recap - 6/20/2013
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »
I overall approve of the new Check Game. The change to LEDs was a given and I do like the changing to green on a win and red on a loss. I actually really love the new font and pricetag. And since Drew isn't going to do Bob's schtick anyway (which to be honest was never one of my favorite things Bob did except in select situations), it probably can find its best use as a quick game. While its Dob timing is 4.5, it took only 3:19 to play today even on its "premiere". I'm going to time it at 4 for now, with the potential to drop to 3.5 if these super short playings continue. That low honestly puts it close to the company of Flip Flop, Squeeze Play, et al., except it's a lot more interesting than those games, and will be a nice surprise when it comes around the turntable instead. It allowed us to have a 1-quickie day on its first playing - well used!

Other than that and Punch (where the good holes are starting to get punched more - might be time for Mike and co. to switch it up, especially since Drew semi-gave away the positioning secret today), this was your standard June show. I wasn't surprised to see Stack the Deck come back on just 2 weeks and be impossible *sigh* I really hope we can rotate the car games more evenly next season; it makes things too predictable in this stage. And Cover was just painful to watch today - you have to wonder where they get these contestants. I feel bad for the guy that he had to have that happen and shown in its entirety on national television. Drew should reel the contestants in more when they get like that, if at all possible.

Timings:
Cover Up (5) - 6:27 (seriously)
Most Expensive (3.5) - 3:11
Punch A Bunch (5.5) - 5:49
Check Game (4) - 3:19
Stack The Deck (5.5) - 5:01
Magic # (4.5) - 3:56
Total (28): 27:43

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
What I find interesting is that the new checks not only do not resemble the old ones, but they are also different from the check Ani Khojasarian got after winning Pay the Rent.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
I think that just begs the question... why not attach the rods from the top of Checky itself? Maybe they showed up on TV worse that way...

To recreate a part of the turntable, probably with material better suited for those rods, seems a bit excessive to me when I don't see what was wrong with the old title.

EDIT: If anything, Drew helped out Mike. No one is going to literally interpret Drew's words as "in the corner area, but just off the corners", instead, yay, more corners!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:02:16 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
I like Check Game. I like the new logo. I like how they've made the logo float. I like it. Now let's get to work on Credit Card. Pic 1 | Pic 2

To recreate a part of the turntable, probably with material better suited for those rods, seems a bit excessive to me when I don't see what was wrong with the old title.
I'd have to imagine that the old top came either too close to or would hit the lights along the Door 5 boarder. Same thing that happened to the Master Key cityscape. It was too big.

The only thing I have to say about the show - I stated my Check Game thoughts in its thread - is this...

Co V Er U P
You had a golden opportunity...
Thank you. Who ever came up with the idea for today's playing really didn't think it through. Or maybe they thought it through and came to the conclusion that people wouldn't "get" that those were elements. Eh.

Seriously. What fun is there setting up Stack the Deck like that? Come on.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »
Nice wins on Most Expensive & Magic # & nice to see a $10,000 win on Punch A Bunch! :-)

Nice to see Check Game again!  I like the new board.   Too bad it was lost, though.  BTW, in CJBojangles' photo of the board, it sorta looke like there's a light shining from the top of the board onto the name of the game.  Maybe it's from a spotlight or something too.

Not too bad overall, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34:58 PM »
Juan had to be one of the best Cover Up contestants of all time.    Drew's interaction when he was bouncing back and forth with pretty good too.

Speaking of Cover Up.   I really like the change of getting rid of the starting numbers,  I can't wait to see what they come up with next. 
Although * * * * * probably would be a good permanent replacement.

We have this and the thread in The TALK is Right about Check Game's makeover.   My comments are over there.

I think Stack the Deck is easily the worst game they have right now in the rotation.   I even prefer Pay the Rent to it.   There is near ZERO chance it can be won with getting no help.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline wrkbinroc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
I am amused how quickly you're jumping on someone else's mistakes.

The only thing I have to say about the show - I stated my Check Game thoughts in its thread - is this...

Co V Er U P
You had a golden opportunity...

As a chemist, I will now start my slow clap.
It's common sense, apparently to not put gifs here.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
As Cover Up has historically been one of my least favorite car games, I am delighted to see they have spiced it up.  Also, Drew did a great job with it today.

Is anyone besides me disappointed by the prize distribution in Punch a Bunch?  I like the top prize being increased, but it is impossible to win, since most contestants will bail out with at least $5,000.  My suggestion would be to get rid of the $10,000, put two $25,000 slips instead of one, and an extra $5,000 slip.

Great to see Check Game back.  IMO, however, the higher range makes for a lot of guesswork.  It's probably less likely to produce wins now (which, of course, is what the producers probably want).

There are better ways of forcing losses in car games than making the groceries impossible in Stack the Deck.  That was embarrassing.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »
Speaking of Cover Up.   I really like the change of getting rid of the starting numbers,  I can't wait to see what they come up with next. 
Although * * * * * probably would be a good permanent replacement.

Again, what would be the point?  There's no joke there.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Again, what would be the point?  There's no joke there.

The only point of * * * * * would be that they aren't numbers.    My guess, after a some number of playings, they will run out of unique ideas to put down there.    So, if Drew doesn't want numbers, the traditional * would be a replacement.

I kind of like that this might be a new way to, as someone else said, spice the game up.   A new running joke on this game might become as fun as Bob's "37 hours".

Now having said all that....I wonder if in a way subconsciously if not covering up a number effects how people play the game. 
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »
The change to LEDs was a given and I do like the changing to green on a win and red on a loss.

LCDs, not LEDs. LED is a light emitting diode. LCD is a liquid crystal display. While LCDs may use LEDs for backlighting (and manufacturers may refer to them as LED TVs), they are still LCDs.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
Heeeeere they come...

I think something different could have been done to the top of the prop other than "floating letters", but the game still looks slick. The gold accents really make it pop.

Meh... the font is really nice on the scoreboard, but the new prop doesn't look all that good. The "floating logo" just looks tacky.

Guess it's nice to have the game back, though.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »
The only point of * * * * * would be that they aren't numbers.    My guess, after a some number of playings, they will run out of unique ideas to put down there.    So, if Drew doesn't want numbers, the traditional * would be a replacement.

***** isn't a joke, though.  The whole point of what they're doing isn't because Drew is anti-number, but it's to make a joke.  There's no reason not to use the numbers if they're not making a joke out of it.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »
Overall, I like Check Game's new design.  It looks a little naked with the new sign but at the same time it's clever how they used the dummy turntable panel to make it appear to float.  I kind of miss the more traditional 2-line checks but the new ones aren't bad.  Of the various game overhauls through the Carey years, I like this one the most.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:11 AM »
Great to see Check Game back in the rotation.  So glad that they kept the pen and the "VOID" stamp.

I think the lettering on top needs be bolder, and offering a group of prizes for its first playing back probably wasn't the best choice.

I also like the new pricetag with the name on it, which I haven't seen a screencap of yet.

Cover Up continues to be silly with the introduction - and I think it led to some confusion today. Juan did not understand the "covering" aspect of it, as shown by what he did with the last two numbers.  This might seem like an insignificant and fun change, but when it starts altering gameplay perhaps it should be looked at again.

Stack the Deck continues to be its insufferable self.  I understand that many of the car games with luck elements in them have been underplayed as we head towards the end of the season, but there is no reason to make cars that impossible to win.

And Adam - time to get rid of the eggcrate in your recap. :P
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024