Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 7/4/2013 (2013 Salute to Military Families Special)  (Read 21280 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
G-R Recap Test
Episode #6413K (2013 Salute to Military Families)
Aired – 7/4/2013; Taped – 5/18/2013
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Amber Lancaster, Gwendolyn Osbourne-Smith, Rachel Reynolds
Microphone Handoff: Rachel
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Pair of Laptop Computers (Asus: 11.6in with 4GB RAM, 500 GB HD); ARP: $1,000 (Amber)

SARA & JEREMY DEMITRIS & LINDELL MATTHEW & ASHLEY TARA & DERRICK
522 999 800 801

The winner is...
DEMITRIS & LINDELL

All contestants who get on stage will receive a $500 gift card from Retailmenot.com.

Demitris and Lindell is playing SAFECRACKERS for a 6n stay in a deluxe suite at the St. Gregrory Hotel and Suites + daily breakfast and evening limo tour) (Manuela) and a pair of digital cameras (12.2MP cameras with 1080P resolution; ARP: $9,034).

ARP of the cameras are the combination to the safe. The numbers are: 0, 6, and 7.

OPEN
LOCK

$760

Second IUFB: Pair of Bicycles (Phat Cycles: His and Her Cycles); ARP: $1,210 (Amber)

SARA & JEREMY DALE & DOUGLAS MATTHEW & ASHLEY TARA & DERRICK
800 575 700 799

The winner is...
SARA & JEREMY

Sara and Jeremy are playing ANY NUMBER for random cash, an espresso machine (compact machine with 2 mugs, 6 cups and saucers) (Gwendolyn) or a 2013 Ford Fiesta SE (1.6L engine, AC, tire pressure monitoring system, heated seats, AT) (Rachel)

The first number in the price of the car is...

CAR 1
COFFEE CENTER
PIGGY BANK

They pick 6...

CAR 1
COFFEE CENTER 6
PIGGY BANK

They pick 5...

CAR 1
COFFEE CENTER 6
PIGGY BANK 5

They pick 7...

CAR 1
COFFEE CENTER 7 6
PIGGY BANK 5

They pick 8...

CAR 1 8
COFFEE CENTER 7 6
PIGGY BANK 5

They pick 4...

CAR 1 8
COFFEE CENTER 7 6
PIGGY BANK 4. 5

They pick 9...

CAR 1 8
COFFEE CENTER 7 6 9
PIGGY BANK 4. 5

LOSS. ARPs were...

CAR 1 8 3 1 0
COFFEE CENTER 7 6 9
PIGGY BANK 4. 2 5

Third IUFB: Sunglasses (6-piece collection of His/Her Sunglasses); ARP: $508 (Overhead)

LUCINA & TIMOTHY DALE & DOUGLAS MATTHEW & ASHLEY TARA & DERRICK
1250 832 625 1

The winner is...
TARA & DERRICK

Tara and Derrick are playing Freeze Frame for a watercraft (SeaDoo GTS 130: seats 3, 1494cc engine, trailer) (Manuela).

$9484
  84 13  
94     38
29     17
  41 70  

LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Tara and Derrick $1,008 45 25 .70 *SHOWCASE*
Demitris and Lindell $1,500 15 10 .25
Sara and Jeremy $2,479 15 40 .55

Fourth IUFB: Collection of iPods (Apple: Pair of 64GB iPod Touches and 16GB Nanos); ARP: $1,096 (Gwedolyn and Rachel)

LUCINA & TIMOTHY DALE & DOUGLAS MATTHEW & ASHLEY BRITTANY & LEANNE
800 801 802 700

The winner is...
MATTHEW & ASHLEY

Matthew and Ashley are playing Rat Race for a karaoke package (Party Tyme Karaoke: Machine and discs) and a treadmill (Manuela) and a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS (1.8 L engine, power windows, 6-speaker audio system) (Amber).

Matthew and Ashley can earn rats by guessing the prices of these items:

Ball Park Hot Dog Buns

Guess must be within $1.

Guess: $3.00.

$3.49

Correct! Rat picked: GREEN

Hot Dog Roller

Guess must be within $10.

Guess: $30.

$60

Wrong!

Oreck Versavac Vacuum Cleaner

Guess must be within $100.

Guess: $225.

$200

Correct! Rat picked: BLUE

Rachel releases the rats...

2 TREADMILL
  1 CAR
  3 KARAOKE PACKAGE

LOSS (Total Winnings: $2,417)

Fifth IUFB: Watch (Stainles Steel Braeaclet with winding movments); ARP: $1,895 (Gwendolyn)

LUCINA & TIMOTHY DALE & DOUGLAS CHRISTY & JESSIE BRITTANY & LEANNE
901 902 900 750

The winner is...
DALE & DOUGLAS

Dale and Douglas are playing Most Expen$ive for:

1. A new television (55in LED 3D HD TV, Wifi, 1080P resolution, 2 pairs of 3D glasses) (Rachel).
2. A new fridge (Elmira Stove Works: Candy Red 18cuft retro fridge) (Manuela).
3. A new pool table (Misurac: 8ft Donovan 2 pool table with accessory package) (Amber).

Guess: 2.

$2760 $3375 $1600

WIN

Sixth IUFB: Pair of Smartphones (Blackberry: 6GB memory + calling plan); ARP: $2,600 (Gwendolyn)

LUCINA & TIMOTHY ALICIA & JACOB CHRISTY & JESSIE BRITTANY & LEANNE
1601 1199 1500 1600

The winner is...
LUCINA & TIMOTHY

Lucina and Timothy are playing Grand Game for a chance to win up to $10,000!

The target price is...

$5.25

Lucina and Timothy start out at $1.00:

$1.00

The items are:

• Ruffles Ridges Potato Chips
  • Aussie Shampoo
  • Twizzlers
  • Ulta Sunscreen
  • Totino's Party Pizza
  • Axe Body Spray

Pick 1: Chips

$4.29
$10.00

Pick 2: Twizzlers

$2.19
$100.00

Pick 3: Pizza

$1.69
$1,000.00

Pick 4: Shampoo

$3.29
$10,000.00

WIN (The sunscreen was $9.99 and the body spray was $5.79)

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Matthew and Ashley $4,013 15 75 .90 *SHOWCASE*
Dale and Douglas $10,130 85 70 1.55
OVER
Lucina and Timothy $13,100 30 90 1.20
OVER

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Matthew and Ashley have the honors...

SC1 - Matthew and Ashley

RED, WHITE AND BLUE
  • Gas Grill (Electornic ignition, 4 casters) (Amber)
  • Trip to Hawaii (RT Coach to Kauai, HI for 6n stay in 2-bedroom garden suite at the Outrigger Waipouli Beach + guided island tour) (Manuela)
  • 2013 Dodge Journey American Value Package (AT, 2.4L engine, paint/fabric) (Gwendolyn)
Bid: $24,000

SC2 - Tara and Derrick

SEEING FIREWORKS
  • Trip to New York (RT Coach to New York, NY for a 4n stay in a room at the alls utie hotel in Times Squre + 5-course dinner during VIP Dinner and fireworks cruise) (Gwendolyn)
  • Sailboat (Com-Pac Yacht Sailboat: 17ft craft with sailing system, antique handrails and and trailer) (Rachel)
Bid: $26,000
Matthew and Ashley
$24,000
SUV
$30,539
$6,539
SUV
Tara and Derrick
$26,000
SAILBOAT
$30,655
$4,655
SAILBOAT
*WIN*
$31,663

Results: 2 out of 6
Winnings: $62,885
Biggest Winner: Matthew and Ashley

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: TPiR Recap - 7/4/2013 (2013 Salute to Military Families Special)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »
Besides Grand, not much to talk about here. No hard setups except Grand, but nothing was at all easy either, and even if we had better luck in Safe, A# and Rat, this still would have felt too low-key for July 4th, the biggest problem of the show. I mean really, starting with regular old Safe? Particularly when it was awkward with 2 people?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
At first, after the 1st half of this, I was saying to myself, "I'm afraid that the only thing will be won is a espresso machine from A#"............Thankfully, ME (despite it being a "gimme" setup........mostly because of the retro fridge) and Grand saved it from being anything like the one from Season 39.

Funny enough, much like the one from S39, no cars were won and a  :frbs: was won. Plus, it seemed a little odd for Safe being 1st on this lineup. I was hoping Golden Road would at least been played today and I don't know why it's being almost seclusive this season. Unless the only logical explanation is that it could be re-furbished for next season or something...................

Well, it was a little below-average for my taste this 4th.............Nothing new until the Back-To-School special.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:17:58 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
When I saw Safecrackers, I immediately thought that there would be a car in there... What a way to start off the show that would be!

I was sorely disappointed to see the trip to Washington DC.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »
When I saw Safecrackers, I immediately thought that there would be a car in there... What a way to start off the show that would be!

I thought so as well, especially Drew saying that they had something so valuable that they had to lock it in the safe (though admittedly he usually says that, but I thought on a day like today, it would actually be something most people consider to be valuable like a car).
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »

Even though it is the nation's capital, that was a real miss. And like I said, I don't know why Golden Road wasn't played first instead of this.

And if they want to give away the DC trip and the cameras, they should've put up 2FTPO1 instead of Safe Crackers.

Leave it to Mike to set us up, just to knock us down like that, much like a lot of things this season.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:50:40 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
The transition from Safe Crackers to show the screen with the $500 gift card was awkward.  That would've worked better with almost any other game as the first game of the day.  As it is, I do not understand, at all, the obsession with putting Any Number second this season.  That really should've been the first game here, if for no other reason than not having that awkward gift card transition from Safe Crackers.

Online ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
It's ironic that one of the prizes in the Showcase was a trip to New York to watch the July 4 fireworks, considering that NBC's coverage of the New York fireworks is the primary reason given for CBS replacing its annual coverage of the Boston Pops concert and fireworks with a repeat of Elementary.

Also, Oreck paid the show to have its vacuum cleaner mentioned in Rat Race - how often is this done for items worth more than $100 (more than $10, for that matter)?

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
I think these "special" shows are getting out of control, it's just gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks. Who cares about any of it? If they wanted to do a military themed show for the Fourth of July, okay fine - we've seen it before, it's sort of a tradition of The Price is Right to salute the military. But, did this really need to be a two-player show - and more to the point, hasn't the novelty of two-player shows worn off by now? Mother's day with two-players? Okay, makes sense. Father's day with two-players? Sure. But, military families? Kind of stretching it. Also, if they insist on having these two-player episodes, they shouldn't be playing games where one person has to directly interact with the game, like Safe Crackers in this instance - one person dials in the price, not two. Thank God they haven't played Hole in One on one of these two-player shows (yet).

Really, these theme shows are so commonplace now that the word "special" is hardly befitting because there's nothing special about them - they're ordinary shows with a little half-baked window dressing thrown on-top. The same prizes are offered on these "special" shows, the usual games are played, and usually the same outcomes take place. Just same old-same old. You want to have a special show? Play Triple Play, play Golden Road, play three car games, play It's in the Bag for $24,000 - instantly it's a special show because these things rarely happen. Giving away free bonus prizes like $500 gift cards or free iPhones or whatever it may be to everyone who gets on-stage is meaningless - no one cares because they didn't do anything to earn those prizes.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
A pretty boring McGimmick show. I agree with those who said that leading off with Safe set us up for the "normal show with window dressing" feel. Aside from super awkward Safe Crackers (one reason these couple shows need to be limited is the preponderance of games that just don't work with couples), everything played out in boring fashion. Yawn. Drew even got bored enough he had to bring up Manuela's citizenship again after a year - make her feel secure before giving her the boot?

Timings:
Safe Crackers (4.5) - 5:02 (...)
Any Number (5) - 4:00
Freeze Frame (4) - 3:20
Rat Race (6) - 5:33
Most Expensive (3.5) - 4:03
Grand Game (5) - 4:47
Total (28): 26:45

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
"Salute to Military Families".  Wow.  Just a "Salute to the Military" would have been good enough.

Although I like seeing Safe, pretty much a run-of-the-mill first half with toss-up choices for prices.  Nothing exciting at all.

Rat Race:  That was close!  I had to rewind my DVR and go frame-by-frame to see if they got it right.  :-P  Also, a prize that Bob would never allow -- a hot dog maker.

Grandy: Great win!  As I've said before, I like seeing cashers sixth.  Unfortunately, it was spoiled (for us, by seeing the height of the giant price tag) during the opening.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
"Salute to Military Families".  Wow.  Just a "Salute to the Military" would have been good enough.

Although I like seeing Safe, pretty much a run-of-the-mill first half with toss-up choices for prices.  Nothing exciting at all.

Rat Race:  That was close!  I had to rewind my DVR and go frame-by-frame to see if they got it right.  :-P  Also, a prize that Bob would never allow -- a hot dog maker.

Grandy: Great win!  As I've said before, I like seeing cashers sixth.  Unfortunately, it was spoiled (for us, by seeing the height of the giant price tag) during the opening.

Veterans Day is effectively the Military Special, so why not?
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »
A pretty boring McGimmick show. I agree with those who said that leading off with Safe set us up for the "normal show with window dressing" feel. Aside from super awkward Safe Crackers (one reason these couple shows need to be limited is the preponderance of games that just don't work with couples), everything played out in boring fashion. Yawn. Drew even got bored enough he had to bring up Manuela's citizenship again after a year - make her feel secure before giving her the boot?

Timings:
Safe Crackers (4.5) - 5:02 (...)
Any Number (5) - 4:00
Freeze Frame (4) - 3:20
Rat Race (6) - 5:33
Most Expensive (3.5) - 4:03
Grand Game (5) - 4:47
Total (28): 26:45
For me, I think for right now it's ".............allegedly giving her the boot." But we'll see what happens. I hope it's not completely true and the new model (Danielle) is just a addition and nothing more.............
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:44:19 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
Great win on Grand Game & nice win on Most Expensive! :-)  Pretty much same old same old other than that, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
I don't mind"themed" episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed the Halloween,Christmas,and Super Bowl specials. What I really HATE is playing in pairs episodes and this 1 is no exception. The big problem is that TPIR was created as a 1 player game and all the individual pricing games were created as 1 player game. It's just too weird and awkward to try to create a 2 player game out of a 1 player game. I have no problem with themed shows. I just wish playing in pairs shows would snuff it.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.