Author Topic: Mike Richards, Evelyn Warfel, and Couples Specials  (Read 12336 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Mike Richards, Evelyn Warfel, and Couples Specials
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
Just took the time to listen to the latest Randumb Show (it's not on YouTube yet) and the last 15 minutes were spent talking about the couples specials on Price. Quite an interesting discussion.

• Mike said he didn't want it to get to the point of "specials for specials sake", that he wanted to specials because they'd be good. I think that floored me to hear him to say that.
  • Mike actually didn't like the Siblings Special before it taped (and felt the same for Twins too). He didn't think it would go over well and thought it would be a "special for specials sake." He then said afterwards that it was one of the best episodes.
  • Mike's favorite couples special from last season was the Grandparents Special. He loved the interaction that was on display.
  • They want to do a show with teens, but they don't want to do the themes they previously did (Teen Drivers and Graduates).
  • They mentioned that there will not be another Law Enforcement Special, citing that they don't want the show to become stale.

They went through a list and covered each special:
-Engaged Couples: Evelyn and Mike like it. They loved the prizes on the show (yes, including the 22 person trip).
-Siblings: Mike instantly voted no. Evelyn is trying to switch it up, even suggesting triplets at one point, then realizing there might not be much of an audience for it.
-Mother's Day: They ultimately agree that they have to do a Mother's Day Special, but Evelyn suggests a Mother-In-Law special. She says Mike has shot her down numerous times. Mike isn't sure that "awkward" is the show, the feel that Evelyn and Beth sees that would stem from it.
-Father's Day: They "guess" it's okay. They feel it gets awkward and stiff. They then go into that often had discussion of whether or not it's cool to make Mother's Day a bigger deal than Father's Day.
-Grandparents Day: They love it and it's already on the calendar (duh).
-Valentine's Day: Evelyn feels that V-Day is too close to Engaged Couples. Mike suggests combining the two. They also talk about maybe a "Singles" episode.
-Kids Show: It rated really well, so they're definitely on-board with doing another one.
-Graduation: A maybe.
-Military: Evelyn says they're going to do Military Families again next year.

I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:30:29 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: Mike Richards, Evelyn Warfel, and Couples Specials
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »
I appreciate that they look at the specials constructively.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »
Triplets would be a bit much--literally.

Mother in law show...a bit of a stretch.

I don't know how they would do a singles special that's any different from a regular episode unless they have a way for them to meet and maybe hook up somehow. *shrugs*
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:16 PM »
This is positive I guess... but it's already gotten oversaturated to the point of "specials for specials sake" as Mike puts it, so this feels like noticing way too late to me. And having doubts about specials before they tape and still going through with them anyways?

And of course, they're all fine or better with kids/teens, lest I expect too much good out of them. :roll:

Still, if they're going to trim down some of the bottom of the barrel fodder like Law Enforcement, that's good. (Then more crappy fodder ideas will probably come, yay.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:18:56 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:55:29 PM »
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

So glad I stopped watching because of this. I said even back then that just by having her on they were promoting her nonsense, and now that I know Mike and Evelyn actually knew they were doing this and chose to do it anyway (and may have done it because of it, even) I'm even more comfortable in my decision.

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
Jenny McCarthy's coming back? I can imagine that somebody on here is not going to be happy to hear about this.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »
Jenny McCarthy's coming back? I can imagine that somebody on here is not going to be happy to hear about this.

No, she is going to be replacing Elizabeth Hasselbeck (or Joy Behar) on The View. I'd be willing to bet she will be replacing the former.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:13:52 AM »
No, she is going to be replacing Elizabeth Hasselbeck (or Joy Behar) on The View. I'd be willing to bet she will be replacing the former.

Hasselbeck, who is going to Fox & Friends on FOX News.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:18:21 AM »

Oops! I guess I must've misread it. But in any event, I'd rather not have her back again.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »
So glad I stopped watching because of this. I said even back then that just by having her on they were promoting her nonsense, and now that I know Mike and Evelyn actually knew they were doing this and chose to do it anyway (and may have done it because of it, even) I'm even more comfortable in my decision.
Just to bring this back up again briefly - while I understand her cause should be considered asinine by the intelligent, I think to stop watching Price over one show is nevertheless shortsighted. As an episode, Jack Wagner was worse than Jenny McCarthy.

Again though, I guess you were disgusted Mike supported the cause by letting her on, and this quote today just adds fuel to that fire (that quote just oozes grimy show business decisions that Price never needed to bother with before Mike*), so ok.

*Inb4 someone lambasts me over Bob's lawsuits... let's keep it to on-air decisions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:22:53 AM by Wayoshi »

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:27:50 AM »
Just to bring this back up again briefly - while I understand her cause should be considered asinine by the intelligent, I think to stop watching Price over one show is nevertheless shortsighted. As an episode, Jack Wagner was worse than Jenny McCarthy.

Again though, I guess you were disgusted Mike supported the cause by letting her on, and this quote today just adds fuel to that fire (that quote just oozes grimy show business decisions that Price never needed to bother with before Mike*), so ok.

Precisely. Jack Wagner is just a bad joke that was beaten to a pulp, but ultimately, he was harmless. Jenny McCarthy does serious, legitimate damage whenever she is given attention.

It wasn't the sole factor anyway, though. I was wavering for a while, but she was what broke it for me.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:58:45 AM »
Technically, when it comes to couples specials, there are some that are suitable (Valentine's Day, Engagement, Mother's Day, etc.) and some that are not (Siblings and most recently, 4th of July)....................So it was good to know that Mike and Co. had a chance to evaluate them and see what worked and what didn't.

Precisely. Jack Wagner is just a bad joke that was beaten to a pulp, but ultimately, he was harmless. Jenny McCarthy does serious, legitimate damage whenever she is given attention.

It wasn't the sole factor anyway, though. I was wavering for a while, but she was what broke it for me.
Personally, I probably wouldn't want to see Wagner back on Price again...........While harmless, putting him on where "complained" about the noise for most of that episode was just a mind-numbing running gag. If Mike does decide to bring him back, he shouldn't try to open old wounds and try not to milk his appearances on just one show, and stuff like that can get really boring really fast. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it", as George Santayana said before.

Hasselbeck, who is going to Fox & Friends on FOX News.
IMHO, that's more her strong-suit, anyway..........Although, her feud with Rosie O'Donnell 6 years ago was pretty awesome and O'Donnell run her over (Metaphorically speaking).  :-D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:09:11 AM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
What exactly is wrong with the 7/4 Military Families Special? Other than the budget, I think it was one of their best ideas since it makes Armistice/Veterans Day just of them, and July 4th of them and their families. They get to spend quality time with their military member on The Price is Right.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
I don't think using up a military special for July 4th is a good idea. We celebrate a lot more than military on 7/4.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 02:30:24 PM »
I don't think using up a military special for July 4th is a good idea. We celebrate a lot more than military on 7/4.
Then again, why did it have to be a couples theme, though? I do like a 4th of July special, but it can do without a couples only show.