Author Topic: New Floor?  (Read 65183 times)

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: New Floor?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
I listened in to get the details for those who don't want to, and according to Mike the reason for the floor change is "Game shows shouldn't have carpet in 2013." The color is "Price is Right blue" and it's "the shiniest thing you've ever seen". He's incredibly nervous that it's going to be too shiny to the point that it's distracting. And yes, he's had an alternate floor built as a backup in case it doesn't work out.

Mike's a "pricing purist" and loves "It's In The Bag" and thinks Drew "is now great at hosting it". Funny he used the word "now".

The part about the cash register was just too interesting to me not to transcribe (Note he refers to the game as Check-Out):

Quote from: Mike Richards
I love Check-Out. I like the cash register. I do want to redo the surround around it because it's a little cornyish. But I love the old cash register, I don't want to change that, but I might change the mechanic of it, because what you don't know ... we should do a behind-the-scenes of how impossible that cash register is to use. It's so hard to use, and the models hate it, they get so stressed out, inevitably somebody screws it up, and I always think somebody's gonna be mad or whatever, and I'm like "No" because I was like "How hard could it be?" and I got over to it and I literally never got one thing right. ... It has like a legend of how to set it up, the models have to look at, key strokes to put in the appropriate amount, I mean it's goofy at best, so it's impossible to do.

I also don't get the logic on "People don't win, and I like people winning" for Golden Road. Play the damn thing, and it'll be won.

Yeah, Mike really doesn't know better. Then again, he doesn't know how to do anything right.

I don't like when people use extremes like this. We don't know exactly what Mike is and is not directly responsible for, and not everyone agrees that every change that has been made is awful. While many think he's gotten so much wrong, he clearly has gotten enough right that the show is about to start its 7th season without Barker.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:02:17 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline bonusguy810

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 10:07:42 PM »
I don't like when people use extremes like this. We don't know exactly what Mike is and is not directly responsible for, and not everyone agrees that every change that has been made is awful. While many think he's gotten so much wrong, he clearly has gotten enough right that the show is about to start its 7th season without Barker.

OK, so maybe I was a little harsh there, but it's true for most of the time he's been on. This is why my signature is, if it's not broke, don't fix it.
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Nice, Mike, trust a computer model that it will be fine. And you were so neurotic about this risky proposition you wasted some cash on a backup. You realize at least the floor can't be too distracting, but isn't non-white going to be distracting already? Has it even been non-white on a daytime show? Well, at least it won't be damn translucent, I can live with blue I guess...

Wait, I'm confused now. Is it just the turntable that's being changed or the entire studio?
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
Wait, I'm confused now. Is it just the turntable that's being changed or the entire studio?

I'm confused as well. Some of his comments and the picture he tweeted lead me to believe it's just the turntable, but others make it seem like its the whole stage floor.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
I took it to be the turntable floor only.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »
Yeah, the turntable carpet is being removed and replaced with a blue floor. Not going to judge its looks before seeing an actual picture/video, but I'd like to think it won't be horrific.

Also, he mentioned something about the Podiums being changed...if they are, why? Didn't they just change them 3-4 years ago?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
I thought he was talking about the whole floor... still, this dislike of carpets shows he has no retro style at all (not that we didn't already know that).

The SC podiums will probably match this damn new floor better or something. Yay.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »
makes me wonder if the cash register in Check Out wouldn't be replaced with a scanner style register..n

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 10:57:58 PM »
Also, he mentioned something about the Podiums being changed...if they are, why? Didn't they just change them 3-4 years ago?

I've never liked the design of the current Showcase podia, particularly the added squares around the bids, so I'm all for a change. He mentioned it at the top of the podcast, and then didn't mention it again.

And after listening again, at the beginning Mike states that it's the turntable floor only.

makes me wonder if the cash register in Check Out wouldn't be replaced with a scanner style register..n

Lord, he has members doing it. It's Grocery Game. :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:02:50 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:05 PM »
They can't possibly make the Showcase podiums look worse, can they?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »
[the cash register is] so hard to use, and the models hate it, they get so stressed out, inevitably somebody screws it up, and I always think somebody's gonna be mad or whatever, and I'm like "No" because I was like "How hard could it be?" and I got over to it and I literally never got one thing right.
I have my doubts that the models hate it.

It has like a legend of how to set it up, the models have to look at, key strokes to put in the appropriate amount, I mean it's goofy at best, so it's impossible to do.
Do you know how I can tell these people have never worked as a cashier?

according to Mike the reason for the floor change is "Game shows shouldn't have carpet in 2013."
This is a textbook definition of "change for its own sake", and comes across as being petty. I feel that carpeting is considerably more warm and inviting.

I'm confused as well. Some of his comments and the picture he tweeted lead me to believe it's just the turntable,
The tweet is 360535694537535490[/tweet]]here, and the picture (with about half a dozen Survivor logos in the back) is below.

They can't possibly make the Showcase podiums look worse, can they?
This is the man who shot down the suggestion Monty Hall made about Let's Make A Deal on a prior podcast and clearly thinks BIG PRIZES are the point. I would not put anything past him, especially since 358698753118588928[/tweet]]he seems to drink Jack Daniel's whiskey.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:17:13 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 01:02:14 AM »
Note: I've worked as a cashier and would probably have no clue how to work a register like that. Would it be sad if it were gone? For about two seconds...it's just not that big of a deal. Neither is the change in flooring to the turntable. It's really not that big of a deal...

And what, pray tell is wrong with jack Daniels?

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »
It's not a big deal, but it's not a big enough deal to drastically change it, either. That's at least my point.

Now if they just hollow it out and rig it to somehow use an iPad on the model's side and a simulated display on the player's while the shell itself still has a similar appearance? That wouldn't be so bad; it would make more sense if "the models are confused" is the reasoning behind it.

Also, I think this new turntable floor is only the first or second new set change we know about for this season? I can't remember if there was another one before this; something is nagging at me saying there was. My problem with it is that I just can't picture a plastic, possibly translucent floor actually looking good, especially next to the neon nightmare that is that wall.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:17 AM »
Now if they just hollow it out and rig it to somehow use an iPad on the model's side and a simulated display on the player's while the shell itself still has a similar appearance? That wouldn't be so bad; it would make more sense if "the models are confused" is the reasoning behind it.

This is probably what we'd end up with, if Bonus Game and Check Game are any evidence. They seem to enjoy the business of incorporating new technology into the old, and if they did, would that really be breaking Roger's rule about the cash register?

Also, I think this new turntable floor is only the first or second new set change we know about for this season? I can't remember if there was another one before this; something is nagging at me saying there was. My problem with it is that I just can't picture a plastic, possibly translucent floor actually looking good, especially next to the neon nightmare that is that wall.

There's a pretty big one - The walls around the doorframes have been repainted a cool blue color with a Goodson daisy pattern and given a concrete appearance.

And the presence of the giant neon wall is probably what's giving Mike night sweats. A floor that's too reflective will make that wall seem even bigger and more blinding.

This is a textbook definition of "change for its own sake", and comes across as being petty. I feel that carpeting is considerably more warm and inviting.

Hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm inclined to agree with you. "Warm and inviting" is a nice break from shiny-hard-silver-metallic-neon.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 01:45:38 AM »
I'll need to listen to the podcast, but I can't help but laugh at Mike thinking carpet is old. It's carpet, and it's not shag, and it's not orange. And if you really think the carpet of all things is something that's still holding the show back from being/looking modern, I don't know what to say. But hey, who knows. Maybe Mike is in a deal to get Price aired on GSN again and needs to change the floor so it qualifies as a "Shiny Floor Game".

Another "LOL" moment for Mike not liking Golden Road because it's never been won. It isn't even about playing the game more to get it won (even though he totally should play it more). Mike just needs to set Golden Road up correctly and easily just once if he wants it to be won. It's a simple as that. A quick YouTube search for some Golden Road wins can show you how it's done. It isn't that hard. Glad to see he doesn't like Golden Road for it's lack of winning, but is a-okay with Punch-A-Bunch, Triple Play, and was okay with Temptation.

I'm sure the floor will come out okay if they can replicate the look of previous turntable carpet, however, the fact that he's worried about it being too shiny is already disconcerting.

I'll perhaps comment more after I listen to he podcast.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.