Poll

Who will win Super Bowl 48

Broncos
19 (65.5%)
Seahawks
10 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: February 02, 2014, 08:43:46 AM

Author Topic: 2013 NFL season  (Read 55291 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
2013 NFL season
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Last night the NFL season got underway with the Dallas Cowboys defeating the Miami Dolphins 24-20 in the Hall of Fame game. The start of the regular season is about a month away. Here are my picks.

AFC East: Patriots. As long as they have Brady I'm always going to favor the Patriots to win this division.

AFC North: Bengals. I see it as being between the Steelers and Bengals but I see Dalton having a breakout year. The Ravens lost far too much on defense to be a factor and also lost their best receiver

AFC South: Texans. I see the Texans winning the entire AFC Championship. Houston is loaded  on both sides of the ball.

AFC West: Broncos The Broncos did suffer some off season losses and Von Miller is suspended 4 games. But they also added Wes Welker and Peyton Manning is still good enough to carry the Broncos as far as a division goes. Chiefs will be much improved though.

NFC East: Giants. I don't really trust any team in this division. Romo and Vick aren't really clutch players and RG3's health is in doubt. I'm almost picking the Giants by default here.

NFC North: Vikings. Imagine how good AP will be now he's actually truly healthy. Much like the NFC East,I don't really trust any team in the NFC North so I'm going with the best player in the division.

NFC South: Falcons. Matt Ryan is an elite and clutch QB and the Falcons are loaded with receiving weapons.  The Saints should have a bounce back with their coach back.

NFC West: 49ers. People will talk about Kaepernick vs Wilson. But the Seahawks just lost Percy Harvin and the 49ers are far better on defense. I see the 49ers repeating as NFC Champions.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
Re: 2013 NFL season
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Sorry, but I disagree on numerous points, here.

First, everyone talks about what the Ravens lost, but what about what they gained? Elvis Dumervil adds excellent pass rush with Suggs at linebacker. I really like Arthur Brown. And yea, Matt Elam is no Ed Reed, but he is pretty rangy and can hit well. The Ravens will miss Ray Lewis' leadership, for sure, but he wasn't the player he used to be.

And was Anquan Boldin really their best receiver? People forget he wasn't too swift during the regular season. If he was so good, why did they only get a 6th-round pick for him? Answer: He wasn't worth $6 million to the Ravens.

We've seen AP when truly healthy. He probably doesn't get near those numbers again, because they won't to rely to heavily on him. Remember, he was really their only weapon for most of the year. I don't know about "trusting the teams" because all four can be good.

RG3's health isn't really in doubt. He'll be out there Week 1. Bank on it.

Yes, the Seahawks lost Percy Harvin (until Week 13, possibly), but let's remember that they nearly made the NFC Championship last season without Harvin. And while the 49ers are great on defense, they are not far better than Seattle in that department. Seattle has the better secondary and their front seven can line up with the best of them. In fact, all four teams in the NFC West will have good to really good defenses.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
To clarify, are you referring to Boldin or Dennis Pitta as their best receiver? I'd argue Pitta is a bigger loss than Boldin.

Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
I was referring to Boldin but Pita is a huge loss too. They do still have Smith but their receiving core is far weaker now. About not trusting NFC North teams: remember that last year the Lions were a disappointment and the Bears collapsed down the stretch. I know that the Vikings got hot to get in last year but I'm not totally sold on them. I still like AP to carry the Vikings though.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Lions dealt with a ton of injuries. I like Ryan Broyles to have a breakout year and take some pressure off Calvin. However, offensive line and secondary is an issue. But they should be better than 4-12, especially after signing Reggie Bush. And the Vikings still have issues at quarterback, but at least AP won't see eight in the box, anymore. Love their defense, also.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
All I know is the NFC North is going to be a lot of fun to watch this year.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
My bold prediction this year is that the St. Louis Rams will make the playoffs this year.  :-)

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »
I wouldn't say that's a "bold" prediction, but I can definitely see them contending for a spot. Love some of the moves they made. Tavon Austin can be lightning in a bottle and Alec Olgetree will be a nice pass rusher for them. Their front seven is shaping up to be one of the best in the league. Also a fan of their secondary with Finnegan and Jenkins. Just hope Jenkins continues to show good character. Make or break year for Sam Bradford.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
This is a crucial season for coach Ron Rivera, QB Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers. It's Playoffs or Bust for them. But it darn sure won't be easy, considering that they're still in the same division as New Orleans and Atlanta. That being said, it should be fun to watch, though.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
At this early stage, my guess would be a Denver/San Francisco Super Bowl, as they would appear to be the most loaded teams.  Of course, though, an awful lot can change between then and now. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »
My predictions:
AFC East- Patriots.  They're missing big pieces from last season and Brady won't have a lot to throw to, but I think they're still going to win it.  The Dolphins look improved, but I think their offensive line and running game are just too big of a question mark and I'm not convinced Tannehill can lead them to a division title.
AFC North- Bengals.  I do believe this is the season they go back to being division champs.  They had a huge second half last season and they look poised to win with their young core continuing to develop and the Steelers and Ravens looking to have taken steps back.
AFC South- Texans.  Maybe the best defense in the NFL, Arian Foster is one of the best running backs in the league when healthy, and I don't see the Colts doing better.
AFC West- Broncos.  Probably the best team in the conference, and should be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.
AFC Wild Cards: Dolphins and Ravens 

NFC East- Redskins.  As long as RG3 is healthy, they should win the division again.  The Cowboys just can't be trusted and I don't think the Giants have enough to get it.
NFC North- Packers.  The definite best team in the division, and the best QB in the league.
NFC South- Falcons.  The Saints will have Sean Payton back, but the Falcons could be even better than they were last season.
NFC West- 49ers.  The Seahawks should be great as long as Russell Wilson avoids a sophmore slump, but I like Kaepernick more and the 49ers still have the better defense.
NFC Wild Cards- Seahawks and Saints

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:33 AM »
AFC Wild Cards: Dolphins and Ravens 

The Dolphins might be improving, but I can't picture any scenario in which they make the playoffs as a wild card over the Colts and Andrew Luck. That being said, if Tom Brady were to get injured, and/or the entire Patriots team just falls apart mid-season, then the Dolphins might squeeze in as a division champion. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
At this early stage, my guess would be a Denver/San Francisco Super Bowl, as they would appear to be the most loaded teams.  Of course, though, an awful lot can change between then and now.

Loaded teams mean dick in the NFL.  Just ask New England and Philadelphia.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
Falcons are 12:1 to win the Super Bowl. LB Sean Weatherspoon questionable vs. Cincinnati Thursday night (dislocated finger).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »
Loaded teams mean dick in the NFL.  Just ask New England and Philadelphia.

Hell, the fact that nobody here has even mentioned Philadelphia yet is considered a win for us...
Signatures are overrated.