Author Topic: Price is Right Executive Producer Mike Richards wants to hear from you!  (Read 61605 times)

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Marc and I have been contacted by Mr. Richards' assistant requesting us to do a podcast interview on the Randumb Show with Mike.  As many of you know, this is the first time that we have been contacted by the new Executive Producer.  Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts we were not able to make it on to this week's podcast.

Mike wants to ask us questions about the show and the fanbase feedback.  In order to properly prepare for these types of questions, we believe it would be best that the fans here provide your insight and input on the show.  What do you like?  What do you not like?  How are the new games?  What about the prizes?

This isn't an opportunity to ask Mike questions, this is your way of providing true feedback to the show from Price's most loyal fans!

So let's hear it -- what do you have to say about the show?  Please, be honest!
John

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Price is Right Executive Producer Mike Richards wants to hear from you!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
I like the pricing games getting new makeovers, especially the Grand Game.

What I don't like are all the specials that happen every month, they tend to get very obsolete.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »
With all of the changes that keep being made to the show, from adding LCD displays to pricing games to dropping many of the old cues in favor of music that is lackluster in comparison, my primary suggestion to Mike is that he stops making so many changes, especially those that are made just because they can be made, not because they have to be made.

I would really like to see the latter trend I mentioned be reversed. Price just isn't the same without the older cues.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
<_<

OK, I'll bite.

Mike/Adam overuse hard car games and make them completely unfun to watch, particularly Stack the Deck in general throughout Mike's tenure and Pathfinder last season. Do they realize there is a tangible effect on-air to this?

On a tangent from this, all these gimmick weeks coming up continue to point out that Mike fatally thinks Price can get away with "flaunting big prizes" while making it almost impossible to win. Price used its sponsored prizes and standard format to be able to maintain a 45-50% win percentage. Look at, again, my avatar - we want to see WINS of anything, the amount does NOT matter in the long run! If the new prizes nowadays since the SC exacta are due to Drew not being able to carry the show himself, that's a different issue, I suppose.

Mike has overemphasized the SCs in the past couple of seasons. It often feels like if he can have one decent winner at the end of the show, the previous 57 minutes can be crappy and it doesn't matter.

The Big 3 have become monthly instead of all 3 of them in a month (or at most 6 weeks). This is bad.

EDIT: "Holiday Gift Idea of the Day" does NOT count as holiday shows all month. Only two Xmas shows is bad. Mike should stop mucking up good traditions of the old era.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:14:32 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05:54 PM »
I don't think over the top trips and overly expensive designer items are necessary. The show's strength is the contestants and the gameplay. You don't need $20,000 trips and $3000 Prada purses to make it fun to play and to watch. Save the spectacular things for special occasions like Christmas time.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
I recently attended a couple of tapings of the show, and honestly, they may have been my last.  The show has lost a lot of it's excitement because it's not shot in real time anymore.  The finished product you see is so spliced together at times that the natural feeling is lost.  Perhaps the average viewer isn't noticing this, but they'd certainly get a better product if the show was shot in real time (and if their host can't do real time, then perhaps they need a different host).  That, and there's the frustration as an audience member being held in a taping longer for pick-ups because a shot "wasn't perfect."

I'm not pleased with how immature the show has become by times by taking things to the nth degree.  It's no longer just an April Fool's Showcase.  It's a full-blown show with a visible gag in every segment.  Same with Halloween.  Really, do the grocery products in Grocery Game need a theme every playing?  Any holiday is turned into a special with prizes that, if won, would deal a devastating blow to the budget, so they sap the excitement of "wow, what a prize" but it's virtually impossible to win.

On the same subject, it's extraordinarily frustrating to see games such as Stack the Deck continually set up for losses because the show can't keep the budget in check.  I know one source of this problem is so many expensive designer items being used as prizes, since they have to bought outright because they aren't sponsored.

It's also fine if the show wants to have a wide variety of prizes, but it's no fun when the very essence of the show--pricing an item--becomes so difficult.  People don't need to always win, but it's good if they feel like they come close instead of missing it by a mile.

I remember a conversation I witnessed with a gentleman in line at a taping last year.  He said he popped on a few episodes before coming to the show to get an idea of the prizes and what they might cost.  He said he couldn't keep up with the prices, much less the variety of prizes.  The average person can ballpark the price of a sofa or a big screen TV.  Designer shoes and an Tesla Roadster... not so much, and that play along ability needs to be there, so put the hard-to-price stuff in the fee games.

The only comments I have about Drew and George is that both of them really don't hold a candle to any of the former hosts or announcers in my opinion, and they're even more immature off-camera.  I thought some of their crude conversation with the audience at one of the tapings I attended recently was better left unsaid.

So as not to be void of compliments, and this is going back a bit, but I am pleased the show opened up to offering foreign cars again.  The show has been better about creating that "family atmosphere" amongst the cast that was lost in the '90s, but again, I feel they've taken it too far with putting mics on the models and introducing Rob.

Long story short, I don't enjoy the show the way it is now, but my thanks to Mike for reaching out to us for comment.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline nbuckler14

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Price just isn't the same without the older cues.

I 100% agree with this, the old music should be just as much part of the show as the new, to me, it's what makes TPIR TPIR.

I don't really have a problem with the games being updated just as long as it isn't totally drastic, the only game update that bothered me a little was Barker's Bargain Bar changing to Bargain Game, while it's the same game, everything looks totally different, and I wish Bob's name had remained as a tribute of sorts.

Contestant's Row being changed to LCD's was totally fine with me since they kept the same colors and fonts and the fact that they can now hold more than 4 digits makes it good for when you have a Ten Thousand Dollar Bidder.

As far as specials are concerned, the Halloween and April Fools shows are awesome!  Celebrity Week and Million Dollar week are ok to me.  As for the rest of them, I could live with or without them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:19:55 PM by nbuckler14 »
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
What a gigantic step taken by Mike Richards. Excellent news to hear.

Despite rumors, gossip, or lies to the contrary, I thoroughly enjoy the "family" image that they've given the show. The interaction between Drew, George, and the models has been a key, in my opinion, to making the show enjoyable these past two seasons.

Like GSB, I don't enjoy the seemingly overabundance of specials. After hearing Mike's thoughts on the subject, I'm a little more understanding to them, but I think there were places where a special wasn't needed (i.e. Dream Car Week seems like a spinoff of Big Money Week).

I'm disappointed in some of the "stale" aspects of the show. I think 3-Car Shows are okay, and I'd like to hear some kind of reason why they've been seen less than Card Game since he took the reigns. Also, I liked when he would put expensive cars in normal games, it was something fun that also added a little spice to a show every once in a while. I hope he does that again.

I understand why some games need to be setup hard, and I understand why some games are setup difficultly more times than not during a season, but it seemed that Stack The Deck wasn't setup easy ever and that's something I don't understand and don't like. The game isn't fun when it is always setup like that. The same could also be said of Pathfinder. While they did give that game a few setups that were nice, for the amount of times they played it last season, I would've liked to have seen a few more nicer setups.

Golden Road is a good game, and I do not like how often it has been played these past few seasons. He's never seen a win, well play the game more often and give it a better chance of it happening.

I'll also add, that I liked the remix to Bean Stalker that they used last season. I think it was an excellent compromise to those who enjoy the older stuff, while keeping the tone modern, even though I believe that some of the cues (especially the ones of the 80s) have aged well and don't sound that old. It's disappointing that the remix only got one use last season and no other ones have been made/used.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:29:10 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »
As for me, I say they ought to stop having Drew force every contestant do shout-outs during the Showcase Showdown. It's gotten so old because he does it EVERY FREAKING TIME.

About the comments to bring Rich Fields back... I personally would not do that; if I recall the interview Roger gave to Greg Palmer correctly, he actually wanted to hire Randy West in the auditions after Rod passed, and I have no reason to doubt that Randy would have fit in just fine.

About the games they have now... Pay The Rent needs to go the way of Double Bullseye and Professor Price. It's too deceptively designed, I believe it was built with losses in mind.

The music now... I've heard elevator music that was catchier. What was wrong with the 1976 and 1983 Sccore Productions packages? (And don't give me the "They're in mono so they'll sound awful" line, they redid Walking and Dig We Must so that's not an excuse to me)

And about the overabundance of special shows, I'm going to paraphrase a line from "The Incredibles"... When every day is special, no day is.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:53:35 PM by blozier2006 »

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »
The thing about this show that keeps me watching still is that, on any given day, a show can still happen that is as good as any in the classic era. Drew's hosting has improved, and having George and the same models reliably be around every day can lead to some good moments - the "we're all one big family" image is one of the things the show is doing best of all right now. (I've heard rumors this may be changing - please don't change it too much). Of course, at the heart of everything are the contestants, and with the right combination of contestants and good moments from Drew/George/models, any show can be a very pleasant watch, even a low-winnings one.

The problem I'm having is that these "very good" shows are happening less and less lately. There are two main causes of this for me: 1) forced gimmick shows and 2) predictable setups. I really don't care for shows that have a built-in gimmick like having an automatic $20,000 winner every day or having every contestant be a police officer. In the case of the former, it takes the emphasis off the contestants and puts it on a forced, contrived win. TPIR should not need forced, contrived wins to make it watchable. In the case of the latter, yes, the contestants are focused on, but you make them all the same. This ultimately leads to lots of faceless specials that would have just been better off having contestants from all walks of life on, which is what really makes the show for me. I will add that some of the specials do turn out well, and I anticipate Halloween and April Fools' every year in particular as you REALLY get those right, putting on a big production that really feels like a unified show, but there are just too darn many of them. And obviously you can't put a Halloween or April Fools Day level effort into all of them, so some of them turn out faceless and generic. Just keeping it simple is largely what leads to the best moments in the first place, so while some specials work, I'd like them to decrease and be picked and chosen more wisely.

As for the setups, others have already stated that Pathfinder and Stack the Deck are hard every time and this makes them unwatchable, and I tend to agree. But although this seems counterintuitive, making the quickies easy every time, in particular the game 2 quickie that is easy almost every show, also is difficult because of how predictable it is. I'd like to see difficulty be mixed up more. One show, Stack the Deck is hard (though fairer than it is now - I'd like to think you know what you're doing there) and Flip Flop is easy. The next, Stack the Deck is quite a bit easier and maybe we get a random evil Flip Flop to compensate. Variety is important. To that end, play all the games. We notice when Pathfinder gets played every week and Dice and Hole disappear for long periods of time. There are ways to make every game hard and easy, I promise. Just keeping things simpler, backing off the specials and playing all the games would make people happier.

There are lots of other, smaller things I could comment on both good and bad, but just improving these two areas would make lots of people happier, I think. I think the production value of an average, non-themed show has definitely improved in the past couple years (thank you also for toning back the outlandish prizes/trips a little bit), and Drew is getting better all the time. Now let's make more of those "random special" episodes happen, rather than forcing them.

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 07:58:27 PM »
Mr. Richards, thank you first and foremost for such a generous offer. My first thing to note is that what you have done with 3 Strikes, reverting it back to 3 strikes in the bag was a wonderful decision.

I ask this: Why were the number of winning combinations on the pricing game Pay the Rent increased so much, leading to the eventual winner?
As a follow up, what is the history of Pay the Rent; in other words, who came up with the concept? We've had rumors that it was Mr. Sandler or yourself, but I would like to get the information straight from the man himself.

In addition, the show seems to be rebounding rather strongly in the Nielsen ratings after a small dip a few years ago, when you first started with Price. Congratulations on such a feat, however, what do you believe is the reason behind this? Is it celebrity guests, having "bigger and better" prizes, a household name host like Drew Carey, your contestants, a combination of these factors, or something else entirely?

With due respect, Mr. Richards, I feel many classic elements of the show I once had were gone. I respect your differing philosophy, but this is mine Many, granted, are unavoidable, due to increased advertisement time, leaving less time for the show itself. My issues stem primarily from the lack of spontaneity of contestants, as many seem to fill a central casting role of hyperactive, out of control players. In addition, this goes to car pricing games: Mr. Carey should avoid always sending the players to the car if it is won. I don't mind so much players going to the car, as much as it is Drew directing them to go there, as if scripted.

In addition, Mr. Richards, while again unavoidable in part due to time, I feel too much time is spent editing out of games. I respect what little time you you have to work with, but it feels edits are becoming more choppy, therefore notable, and making a lesser product on screen for viewers. In addition, I think this is because, with due respect, you have the habit (which I cannot judge, I do not work at S33) of hiring a new director seemingly every season. In the end, as a result, they cannot get a grasp of how to direct the show, nor do they have the adequate time to learn how, both in what the show demands, and of what you demand, as an executive director.

While not as major, or as notable to the common viewer as the traditional edit, another chief concern of mine, that I am certainly not alone in, is the lack of classic cues. I realize you believe they are not in pristine condition, and while this may be the case, what is the harm in playing one of the classics once a week, or thereabouts? It would take very little to change this policy, and you would certainly please me personally as a fan if you could do this. Having grown up on Price yourself, I am sure you understand what cues go with which games; in the traditional manner, and if you are not sure, you have the library of shows to reference, at your disposal, if need be.

Arguably my greatest issue with Price as it is today, stems from the lack of focus on contestants. Mr. Carey and the larger than life prizes seem to be the primary focus, rather than the contestants, their stories (abbreviated as these may be these days), and truly, their feelings about their magical experience on The Price is Right. While there is a place for Mr. Carey as host, his job is to host not only the show but host the players around to their game, and introduce them as if a house guest, hence the term host. Right now, Mr. Carey believes he is not only the host, but also the special guest of honor, not the one-time contestant.

Last but not least, the prizes. I think there is usefulness in the designer prize, and the occasional large trip. The former moreso to attract the 18-34 female demographic that is so valued, and I think this is actually a brilliant strategy. I might suggest doing this a tiny bit less, as not to overuse its concept, but I consider this a very good thing what you have done, it works quite in the ratings, similar to how male model Mr. Rob Wilson has, to serve the same purpose. The latter, the large trips, these have me worried, in the sense that the budget cannot afford them, as many times they are not sponsored. Why not follow the lead of Wheel of Fortune, and have many trips sponsored; Wheel does so with Sandals. This would allow there to be more winners on the program, and there would be less costs associated with doing so, let alone the trips that are declined. This is why I actually really liked the $40,000+ trip you gave away last season in Cliffhangers; it was mostly sponsored, and did not impact the budget too much (which is a concern I have, but many others have explained it well enough, to the point where I feel it would be unnecessary to do so).

Thank you for your time to do this Mr. Richards; it is invaluable to me, and hopefully the entire website's community; best of luck on your continued works on Price and Let's Make a Deal.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
I just want to ask Mike "Why do you think people watch the Price is Right, and how does your approach to the show respect this?"

My answer: the show is about the contestants.  Everyday people, placed in an unusual, once-in-a-lifetime, situation, and their genuine reactions to the excitement of opportunity.

What I suspect Mike thinks: I think Mike understands the excitement factor, but feels compelled to "sculpt" the excitement, rather than just letting it happen.  I also think Mike over-estimates the need to have flashy, or unusual, prizes. 

Also, "Does it matter how often people win on the show?".  Is it better to have 5 winners with lesser, more everyday prizes.  Or have a number of "cool" prizes, but just 1 winner?

Finally...so, you are telling me that Mike's people contacted GR.net?  Excuse me, have to run, seems there are some pigs gliding around the atmospehere.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:05:39 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
I wish that they would find/take advantage of new ways to involve loyal friends and true by including them in the progression of the culture of The Price is Right.  A lot of us miss the old cues that became associated with TPIR.  Why not have a fan contest to remix a classic cue for reintroduction on the show?  Maybe there would be legalities involved, but perhaps something similar could be done. 

It seems like in these ways they could update the show - which they seem determined to do - while including the fan base and building on the show's traditions.  Could this be applied to other aspects of the show, such as redesigns or writing a showcase script?  Maybe.  You can involve your fans this way from across the country, helping to maintain your fan base while continuing to expand it.

I also wish that prize values would be lowered a bit so that they can set up more games for wins.  I'm growing tired of seeing so many losses.

I wish that there were opportunities to play some of the longer games more frequently.  I know time is a factor.  Why show Drew at each return from commercial saying the same thing as he throws to Rich?  Why not start with Rich on a call down once or twice a show?  It could save a few precious seconds.  Why recap the showcases so many times?  This could also save some time.

Thanks to Mr. Richards and thanks to TPTB at Golden-Road for the opportunity to share our ideas.

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
Hey, have to apologize....totally mis-read CGJ's post, which clearly stated "this is not an opportunity to ask Mike Q's", which I then preceeded to do.  But I think in my comments I make clear some of my views on things, though I will elaborate more...

Changes to the set: none of the changes really bothers me so much, as to decrease my viewing likelihood.  Sure, I liked the old trip skins, but some of the monitors and how they now decorate them are fine.  No biggie.  And door 4 in the rear has become a good use of what used to be mysterious studio space. 
Prizes: there is something to be said for offering an offbeat or "cool" prize, or a trip that offers an experience.  But, the premise of the show is guess the price of items.  When you offer stuff people don't see on a daily basis, then the player has no chance at pricing it, and that's just not fair.  I would just ask that Mike be more judicious with offering quirky prizes.  There really nothing wrong with offering living room furniture or a riding lawn mower now and then. 
Contestants: here is where the ball has been dropped.  First, the show is clearly now casting more aggressively than they had in the past, and Drew is doing a weak job at milking genuine excitement from everyday people.  Actually, I can't recall any contestants from the last year I genuinely had a laugh-out-loud reaction to.  Remember the highlight reel of contestants you made after Drew's first year?  That was fun.  But could you make a similar reel for this past season?  Probably not...there's just nothing memorable happening anymore.
Games:  Double-Cross is fine as a quickie game.  Rat Race is far too gimmicky.  And Pay The Rent is just mean-spirited. 

Thanks for the opporunity!
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
First of all, thank you Mr. Richards for taking the time to talk to us here at golden-road.net.

I, like, the previous poster shell_game, want to know what you will do to bring back the viewer of the past. I've been watching The Price is Right since before I could walk. I never have been a fan of Drew Carey or how the show has to have a gimmick every other day. I keep tuning in every now and then to see if I can get that spark back, but I can't get into it. The show feels rushed when it shouldn't be, laughed at instead of laughed with, and at times fake. Call me old fashioned, but I really do miss the old days of TPiR. I would really like it if you somehow found a way to tap into the old school setting and fuse it with the new school era.

I do like some of the modernization of the pricing games, mainly, Grand Game, Temptation, Check Game. Others I could have done without, but that I will not fault you for. You are trying to update the show in a good way there and I appreciate that effort. We certainly have seen it in the previous 40 years of updating pricing games. But I do hope that you are not planning on updating all of the show's pricing games. Some games only work with that genuine classic feel.

As I stated, I want to watch Drew and The Price is Right. I really want to, Mr. Richards. I'm hoping you can find a way or two to bring back a once loyal viewer. Im not saying fire Mr. Carey, get rid of all the color changes of the set, bring back every single retired pricing game known to man...no. I'm saying just give me and people with similar views a few small concessions that will pull us back and throw us back into show I used to adore. As a brief example, urge Mr. Carey to use the word "Cents" at the Showcase Showdown. Hearing him tell a contestant, "You got a seventy-five" makes me cringe every time and makes me change the channel. I don't want you to think I'm saying this because "well, Ol' Bob used to say it". I'm saying it because the point of the Big Wheel is to get close to a dollar without going over. Seventy-five cents makes much more sense than saying you got a seventy-five. It will show me that the show does want all viewers back..past, present, and future.

I do like that you have an open mind to trying to new things. I just hope you might have an open mind to try a few old things as well.

Please keep up the good work. I truly did enjoy The Pyramid, thanks for being in the great genre that is the Game Show.