Author Topic: Turning 70 today...  (Read 6277 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Turning 70 today...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »
tpir1983 wrote: It airs here in Dayton, OH on WHIO-TV at 3pm. And it still trounces General Hospital in ratings. Let's just say, (The) Guiding Light beats GH by a 5 to 1 ratio.
It's the same here in Columbus... CBS Soaps must be an Ohio thing for sure...

Latest November Sweeps Ratings for Central Ohio:
CBS Soaps 6.2 rating/19 share
ABC Soaps 2.3/7
NBC Soaps 2.7/8

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »

Ccook wrote:
I still don't understand why Nielsen chooses to split Price into separate half hours to gauge their ratings. It's the only hour long network daytime show to which they do that.

One advantage is that a local station can make more revenue by selling a spot in the outbreak of 'Price is Right 2," as Nielsen lists the second half hour, because it is always the higher rated.

It also gives local stations that air 'Price' as a lead-in to their midday newscasts a better idea of what their station's ratings are immediately going into their news than they'd get if the full hour was averaged.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »

Ccook wrote:
The morning telecasts are the same as the afternoon telecasts that day. Guiding Light is sent to affiliates on what's called a "wild feed." CBS beams the show at late night hours on a closed circuit so the affiliates can record them and show them later in the day.

Actually, it's not a wild feed... just a pair of morning feeds (9 and 10 AM) CBS started last year when there's not any programming on the network otherwise.  Most stations I've seen airing it in the morning are doing it straight off one of those feeds instead of tape delaying it.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
Ah. That clarifies that, then. I think networks still use wild feeds in many cases (I know that CBS wild feeds their Saturday morning line-up because of their Saturday Early Show).
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »

Ccook wrote:
I think networks still use wild feeds in many cases (I know that CBS wild feeds their Saturday morning line-up because of their Saturday Early Show).

I'm not sure about the other networks, but CBS prefeeds only the Saturday kids shows you mentioned (on Thursday mornings) and an occasional weekend "standby" episode on days when there's an afternoon sporting event.  (There'd be no other way for them to get the PSA-version rerun to the Mountain Time Zone in the event that a sports overage preëmpts a prime time show.)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 04:31:24 AM »
How about Young & The Restless? Here it's on at 12:30 PM, but the CBS affiliate in Columbus GA (WRBL/ch. 3) has it on at 12 Noon to accomodate Central Time Zone viewers (the city is right on the Ga.-Ala. border which also borders the time zones). All of Central sees it at 11 AM, as does Pacific except for Los Angeles (KCBS/ch. 2), which airs it at 11:30 AM.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »

Ccook wrote:
How about Young & The Restless?

Another show that has multiple feeds: 12:30 PM ET for the Eastern Time Zone, 12 N ET for the Central Time Zone, and 2 PM ET for the Pacific Time Zone.  That special Central feed has actually been in place for many years... it's fed on a separate channel since it partially conflicts with the Eastern feed.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
Ah, the marvels of technology. So since KCBS in Los Angeles airs it at 11:30 Pacific time, do they tap into one of the early feeds and record it?
--Michel de Montaigne