Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/23/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Premiere; Do The Math Premiere)  (Read 36710 times)

Offline 03F5man

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/23/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Premiere; Do The Math Premiere)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
ever since S38 the premiere episode has been blah. Granted S39 had the debut of pay the rent and S40 had 4 car race game and a Porsche in 3 Strikes. Bob usually had a 3 car game lineup. S35 4 of the 6 games were played for cars. And the only useage of the emmy award during bobs career that I could think of was the 25th year primetime special. As far as do the math is concerned its a fun game.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Do the Math is pretty neat!  Pretty blah other than that, especially for a season premiere, IMHO.
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Joe

• In the Audience
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
This wouldn't have been bad for a regular episode, but as others have duly noted, it was a bit of a disappointment for a Season Premiere.

And also, I was just wondering, would today's Money Game setup have counted as one that employed "the old front and back trick"?  Or does that only happen if the front of the car is positioned to the left of the back of the car.  (Maybe today we had the "old back and front trick"?)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Recap is up...

However, I will be making a change before next week on the background change in the header for a darker shade of blue.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
S40 had 4 car race game and a Porsche in 3 Strikes.
What's "blah" about that? 8-O

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
Do the Math looks pretty cool. However they can improve on it like maybe including multiplication and division to make it a 25% chance at winning instead of 50/50.

The economy is still tough these days so its not a surprise that the show offered cheap prizes, although they could have at least one luxury prize.

Offline joeyboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
Is this a season premiere, or an episode that was supposed to air in the middle of the season?

Seriously, I haven't been this disappointed in a season premiere since season 38.

On a positive note, Do the Math is a nice little addition to the pricing game rotation. :)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
The economy is still tough these days so its not a surprise that the show offered cheap prizes, although they could have at least one luxury prize.
Enough excuses... there's been way more to it than the economy.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
Do the Math looks pretty cool. However they can improve on it like maybe including multiplication and division to make it a 25% chance at winning instead of 50/50.

That... wouldn't work. At all.  Either the answer would always obviously be plus or minus anyway, or we'd get stuff like "Is the price of the hair dryer +, -, ×, or ÷ $500 equal to the price of the Jeep?"

Like others have said, seriously underwhelming episode for a season premiere.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
I found a much better image of "The Dollar That Will Be Promoted But Never Seen":

S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tvnutboy

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
My guess as to why The Premiere episode in particular looked average/boring/cheap might have something to do with the upcoming "Plinko Day" show on Friday. Maybe they were just saving up to accommodate what could potentially be a budget buster later on...but that's just a guess.

As for "Do The Math", it's quick, it's simple, it's always nice when a Cash Bonus is given in any game to help cover the taxes, so it works for me. And Danielle will make a fine addition to the show, but only 2 models on a day like today just enhanced how "Average" the show was.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
The only good thing about this episode was the playing of my favorite game, Secret "X". Otherwise, it was a complete waste of time.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
I liked Do The Math. I think it fits in pretty well with the other two-prize games usually played behind Door #2. However, I would have been sure to say (and I'm pretty sure Bob would have said) "Is the price of the TV plus (or minus) $1,160..." instead of "Is the TV plus (or minus)..." as Drew said. It's the number (the price) that is in the equation, not the prize itself. Oddly, Drew did say "the price of" the motorcycle.

I agree with everyone who wrote about today's show not feeling like a season premiere episode. As a regular viewer for many years, I was looking for something big to be offered in the first pricing game.

However, I'm undecided if I like it appearing right at the top of the show... after 41 seasons of just panning the audience, it's sort of strange to have the logo on-screen right at the outset. I would suggest starting the opening shot tight on one of the Price logos around the audience and then pulling back into a sweep of the audience - might look better.
I am not undecided about that. It looked weird to me. I first thought they were going to show highlights of the premiere episode, as they sometimes do with specials. Showing the logo again before Drew's entrance seems like overkill now, as do the extra graphics, motions, and colors. I also like to see the actual doors open to reveal the host, not a logo that for some strange reason opens outward.

When does the shiny new floor for home base premiere? I was looking for it today as well.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:35:11 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
The new opening border looked coo.
But as far as I'm concerned, I think it'll be hard for me to make a rendition of it.
The detail looks way too complicated

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
I found a much better image of "The Dollar That Will Be Promoted But Never Seen":
They're like movies now. Movies release trailers with footage in them and not all of that footage gets used in the movie that is released.

Any excuses about how piss-poor this season premiere was that involve "money", I'm not buying. CBS is currently the most successful broadcast network consistently (NBC and FOX are held up by Sunday Night Football and American Idol, respectively). They aren't desperate for cash and they aren't cutting corners anywhere (although why LMAD still isn't in HD is a mystery). This is the episode that's supposed to set the tone for the season. The tone they set was "meh." I don't care if they play a Big 3 tomorrow, Wednesday, or Thursday, this was supposed to be the big start. They failed there.

This is one episode out of 190 or around about there, so this is a small blip on the radar and I'm sure the rest of the season will be great. But it still let the air out on the excitement of waiting all summer.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.